“A stylish hideaway in the Ronda mountains and a perfect choice for a supremely cosseted Andalucian house party (sleeps 14)”
A lofty, double-heighted dining room with twin staircases sweeping up to the drawing room and master bedroom sets the tone. There are 7 sumptuous bedrooms, 2 swimming pools, a games room and home cinema, a wine cellar and a state-of-the art kitchen, superbly set up for friends and families alike. Housekeepers are on hand to cater to your every need and Ronda is an easy drive away. Seductively southern and alluringly Andaluz, there's nowhere quite like La Morera for a memorable holiday with friends and family in one of the loveliest corners of southern Spain.
- La Morera's furnishings and fittings, many shipped in from top London stores, are both stylish and deeply comfortable
- The division of space has been managed to give each bedroom a maximum of privacy and its own slice of terrace
- The house is set amidst 5 acres of terraced gardens and orchards and its enormous infinity pool highlights the stunning mountain views
- You can self-cater or arrange for external caters to host meals, just ask
- This place is, quite literally, at the end of the road: Ronda is 10 minutes away yet the farm feels seductively remote
- Some of the bedrooms are in separate annexes below the main house, which means you need to brave the cold during the winter months
- A stay at La Morera isn't cheap but the rental price includes masses of extras like cleaning, a welcome hamper, WiFi internet and any spoils that you fancy from the organic veggie garden
- If you plan to stay during the summer you'll need to book well in advance
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Villa
- 7 bedrooms
- Self-catering (+ meals on request)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Pool Table
- Bicycles Available
- Tennis raquets
La Morera's bedrooms have a really intimate, private feel. Rooms 1 and 2 are in the main house whilst the other bedrooms are divided amongst 3 annexes, which drop down the hillside towards the infinity pool and gardens.
The queen bee is room 1, reached via a private staircase from the dining room. The main sleeping area has a queensize double, a roll-top bathtub and high, shuttered French windows which open onto a bridge taking you directly to the alberca pool. The bathroom has a walk-in rain shower.
Room 2 has lower ceilings but shares the same subdued decor: all white walls, chalky grey shutters and a terracotta tiled floor, pepped up by Moroccan rugs. It has a bathtub and a walk-in rain shower in its bathroom and French windows lead out to the smaller pool.
The remaining rooms are across the cobbled courtyard in the annexe nearest to the house. Rroom 3 has a cosy feel, enhanced by a wood-burning stove in the old hearth, and shares a terrace with room 4. Both have double or twin beds, freestanding wardrobes and shower bathrooms. Room 4 also has the advantage of long views out across the valley while room 3 looks towards the courtyard.
Furthest from the main house, room 5 and 7 are in the annexe with the games room / home cinema and second kitchen. Room 7 is a simple twin room with adjacent shower, but room 5 is really rather romantic. An Indonesian four-poster bed takes centre stage, whilst the shower room feels lifted straight from a Moroccan riad (accessed via a keyhole arched doorway with eye-catching geometric floor tiles). Shuttered doors lead out to a private valley-facing terrace which, in turn, leads to the shaded dining terrace that fronts the games room.
Finally, nearest to the main pool, the third annex houses room 6. More of a freestanding suite, it has a valley facing terrace, a private living room on the lower level (with a sofabed), and a bathroom with a bathtub and rain shower.
All beds are dressed in Egyptian cotton sheets, with top-spec mattresses, and you can expect a pile of towels as well as a second set for use by the pool. Expect to arrive to an immaculately clean room pepped up by freshly cut flowers from La Morera's huge terraced gardens.
- Air conditioning
- CD player
- Central heating
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Full kitchen
- Satellite TV
- Washing machine
La Morera's bespoke kitchen is on of the best we've come across in a rental property, and was masterfully pieced together by joint owner Richard Becher, who has fitted out some of London's best-known restaurants. If you were looking for a location to shoot a food programme this is a great space to work in.
As well as a central island - which makes cooking both practical and sociable - you're treated to twin fridges, a microwave, a huge top-of-the-range hob and oven, an ice-making machine and every conceivable kitchen gadget (including 3 dishwashers!). The adjoining dining room, where a Douglas Fir table (seats 14) takes central stage, is its perfect partner: any meal here couldn't fail to be a special occasion.
Basic ingredients are provided to help you self-cater, and there's a small supermarket in Arriate, 5km away. Ronda offers a larger supermarket.
When we visited, we opted to let caters handle the cooking. We ate in La Morera's fabulous dining room, but meals often move to the vine terrace in good weather. Breakfasts and lunches can be provided, as well as BBQs and special celebratory feasts: just let them know about your wish list prior to arrival.
If you prefer to head out to eat, there are several excellent little restaurants a short drive from La Morera. You really are spoiled for choice when it comes to tapas bars in Ronda, recommendations include Bar Maestre, Faustino, La Giralda and Casa Mateo.
- Chef on request
- Children's meals
- Dinner by arrangement
- Full kitchen
- Lunch by arrangement
- Organic produce
- Welcome hamper
- Explore the old town of Ronda, finding time to check out the Joaquín Peinado museum, the bullring and to ogle at the town's extraordinary gorge and bridge
- Taste fine wines at one of the many bodegas in the area: some of the best are close to La Morera
- Take a tour of the Pueblos Blancos - the white villages - making sure not to miss Zahara and Grazalema
- Hike in the Grazalema Park. This biosphere reserve has towering limestone mountains, deep gorges and a fantastic range of flora and fauna. Keep your eyes out for the stunning Griffon vultures, which tend to fly in groups. You'll find descriptions of the area's best walks at La Morera and a guide can be arranged
- Explore the valley on horseback: there are riding stables just 5 minutes from the house
- Shoot a game of pool, play table football and ping-pong, then choose from an amazing selection of DVDs: the home cinema comes with surround sound as well as a full complement of satellite channels
- Spend a day in the company of Peter Jones, one of Spain's top ornithologists - he lives just along the valley. La Morera's owners can arrange this and a whole host of other activities: massage, hot-air ballooning, tennis, rafting, golf, sailing, windsurfing, riding...
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Horse riding
- Hot air ballooning
- Museums / galleries
- Pool table
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
- Wine tasting
Finca La Morera couldn't be better for kids, with plenty for all ages to do, and we think it makes a terrific place for a group or extended family holidays.
Family friendly accommodation:
You've got the run of the house's 7 bedrooms; there's a sofabed in the annexe of Room 6, a daybed in the anteroom of Room 1, and a folding bed which can be put in any of the rooms.
Babysitting is available by arrangement.
- 2 travel cots - but no linen, so bring your own
- 2 high chairs
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
The kitchens are remarkably well-equipped and offer plenty of space for those blessed with chef skills. The housekeepers can take charge of meal arrangements if you want to relax.
Kids Activities on site:
- 2 pools, both gated
- Gardens and orchards to explore
- Games room with pool table, table football and ping pong
- Cinema screen with children's DVDs
- Board games
- Bikes and tennis racquets to borrow
Kids Activities nearby:
- Stables and horse riding
- Hikes in the countryside
- Guided birdwatching walks
- Playground in Ronda
- 'Indiana Jones' ballpool/soft play area nearby
Families Should Know:
There are some steps around the house and down into the garden and pool area and a raised balcony area.
- Airport: 1.5 hours (Malaga, Seville and Jerez)
La Morera is a 20-minute drive from Ronda in Andalucia, southern Spain. It's equidistant between the Málaga and Jérez airports, which are both about an hour and a half away. Seville is a little further but still an easy 2-hour drive from the house.
Málaga Pablo Ruiz Picasso (96km), Jerez (124km) and Sevilla (138km) are your nearest airports. Click on the links below for a list of airlines serving them.
If you'd prefer to travel overland from the UK or elsewhere in Spain, check out Seat 61. The high-speed AVE train can whisk you down from Madrid to Seville (2 hours) and from there you can pick up a hire car.
See our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Andalucia and getting around
- Malaga Pablo Ruiz Picasso 96.0 km AGP
- Seville San Pablo 138.0 km SVQ
- Beach 50.0 km
- Shops 5.0 km
- Restaurant 2.0 km