“Luxurious, blissful and by the sea - a tiny hotel in an utterly romantic setting in unspoilt southern Nicoya Peninsula”
This is a very chic retreat indeed. You have the ocean on your doorstep, bird ballad and monkey chatter to wake you, that shapely pool, and yoga, pilates and creative cuisine. If you're not surfing the waves then bliss out in the spa, romantically perched above rushing water. It's a small slice of heaven, with its laid back but luxurious feel - oh, and the staff are described as "beyond great".
- Florblanca’s villas are utterly luxurious: high-ceilinged sitting rooms open to the ocean breezes with grand bedrooms and wonderful alfresco bathrooms
- Food is superb: funky Pacific Rim flavours with classical French influences
- Excellent surfing
- Honeymooners will love the ocean view Deluxe options, and dining in the private gazebo by candlelight
- The new Bambú Spa has 3 treatment rooms, and outstanding treatments and massage
- Some of the villas are currently being remodelled, but the team assure us guest disruption will be minimal
- It's pricey, but yoga classes and the use of surf and boogie boards are included
- Take a transfer, don’t drive here. The roads are terrible
- It's near the road - you will hear cars from your villa during the day
- Bugs and beasties - you're in the jungle after all
Best time to go
Our top tips
You don't have to dress up as it's very informal - shorts are fine for the restaurant in the evenings - but you might want to bring something smart as the surroundings are so elegant. If you're staying during the Green Season pack some slightly warmer clothes, and a waterproof.”
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurant and bar (open daily)
- Over 6 welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
Villas are surprisingly sumptuous, given the remoteness of the setting and the depth of the jungle. All are decorated to an extremely high standard and set back along little paths deep in pretty jungle gardens, so that each is guaranteed considerable privacy. Cream walls hold dramatic paintings of tropical flowers, and very sensuous canopy beds come with clouds of cushions, wonderful mattress and blissfully soft bedlinens (strewn with tropical flowers on your arrival). One and two-bedroom options are available, Deluxes have sea views.
The open-air bathrooms are also beautifully designed, with a leaf-shaped baths under overhanging palms and a curved wall behind your private garden to give perfect seclusion. There’s also a powerful hot shower and an organically shaped sink; even the outside loo is a fun experience. And no, there aren’t creepy crawlies over everything!
The Honeymoon House comes fully equipped with a kitchen, a refrigerator, an open-sided living room and a dining table for 4. The whole of the upper floor is the bedroom and it also has a small plunge pool. The Surf House (a newer addition that we haven’t viewed yet) is a great-value and slightly more rustic 3-bedroom beachfront villa - perfect for outdoorsy types.
Organic, biodegradable toiletries are provided in big bottles (no waste of plastic), scented with Plumeria flowers from the flor blanca tree. Fresh flowers, a hairdryer, free WiFi, bathrobes, safe boxes and mosquito nets are all provided; some options also have minibars.
- Air conditioning
- Cd player
- Internet access
- Ipod dock
- Mosquito net
- Safe box
You get truly excellent cuisine, in different settings, including a stylish bar by the pool with tables under an open roof, on steps leading down to the ocean. The cocktails are creative and the sushi is the best we've ever had.
Breakfast can be healthy or not. There’s good yoghurt and granola with fresh fruit or a Burrito of beans, avocado and cheese, also with fruit, as well as the usual eggs options. Tea and coffee are available all day - help yourself from the coffee bar.
Lunch here is superb: we sat by the pool and ate Greek salad with huge grilled shrimps, and seared rare yellow-fin tuna with Asian style noodles.
Dinner can be a laidback affair in the bar with cool music playing, or a totally private experience where ambitious young chef Spencer Graves brings Pacific Rim flavours to freshly caught local fish. Young staff are attentive and very friendly: you soon feel among friends.
Most romantic of all, ask for a dinner in the poolside gazebo: you’ll be completely alone, eating by candlelight from a table decorated with flowers: our amuse bouche of seared scallops on a bed of quinoa was sublime, followed by a tangy sea bass ceviche, then fettucini with spicy fish. Dessert was a delicate passion fruit cheesecake.
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- Walk down the winding path through leafy gardens to find an organic shaped infinity pool tumbling into a wider pool where you can swim backstroke and gaze up at flor blanca trees, heavy with scented white blossom
- Lie on hammocks slung between palms in a shaded part of the beach or sprawl on a lounger at the water’s edge
- At the hippy town of Montezuma (1 hour drive) you can stroll among the craft stalls and try out the organic food in the many restaurants
- There are waterfalls nearby, and a zip line adventure to try - Florblanca can arrange a guide and transport. Visit Rainsong reserve which looks after endangered animals; the birdlife is extraordinary
- Use the splendid yoga studio to practice on your own, or join daily ashtanga classes. Pilates is on Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Surf boards and boogie boards are available to borrow and staff can arrange private lessons for beginners
- Swim from certain parts of the beach, but ask staff for the right spot as there are fierce rip tides in some areas. Too energetic? Lazily snorkel in the rock pools instead - the hotel has equipment available to borrow
- Florblanca can arrange a deep sea fishing expedition and horse riding along the beach
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Plantlife / flora
- Shopping / markets
- Well being