“Collection of stylish self-catering villas and a beach bungalow, each sleeping 2-10, on Glen Beach; great for couples or families”
Overlooking the ocean are 3 villas (each with 4 or 5 bedrooms) just behind the coastal road, plus a beach bungalow right on the sand containing the 4-bedroom Main House and the 2-bedroom Penthouse. All are decked out in a clean, contemporary style with all you need to make them your base: open-plan living rooms, kitchens with daily housekeeping, and private plunge pools. But what really stole our hearts was being able to watch the sun sink into the sea from our terrace, then easily stroll into town for a lively evening out.
- A great location - it's a short walk down to Glen Beach and Camps Bay, close to popular Clifton Beach, and only a short drive from the centre of Cape Town
- The 3 villas have bags of space, refreshing plunge pools, off-street parking and weekday housekeeping
- The outstanding views of the Atlantic mean this is a great place to watch the setting sun; the Main House and the Penthouse are some of the few properties in Cape Town with direct beach access
- Glen Beach has a more exclusive feel to it than Camps Bay
- You can fall asleep to the sound of the waves
- The 3 villas sit in a block just behind the coastal road leading into town - but the views are still good
- Occasionally the strong wind picks up, as it can anywhere in the Cape
- Don’t expect air-conditioning (except in the bedrooms of Villas 2 and 3 and the master bedroom of Villa 1) - though coastal breezes generally keep things cool and there's underfloor heating for the colder months
- If you rent the Main House or Penthouse separately you may end up sharing the building with strangers, but the staircase connecting them can be sealed off and each has a private pool
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Beach Villas
- 3 villas, 1 main house & 1 penthouse
- Self-catering only
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Plunge Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
The light and airy Beach Bungalow, containing the Main House and the Penthouse, is right on the beach. It can be rented separately or in its entirety (a staircase links the 2 but can be closed off if needed).
The 4-bedroom Main House is perched just above the beach; pristine white walls contrast with areas of exposed stone and the sitting area has huge suede sofas in muted tones of brown and beige. Three of the bedrooms have ensuite bathrooms with frosted glass doors and smooth white pebble walls; the bathroom for the fourth bedroom sits across the landing.
The Penthouse has white roof panels extending up into an 'A' frame, creating a real sense of space. The open-plan living area has African portrait paintings and coconut shell lampshades to remind you you’re in Africa not Hollywood. Sliding doors open onto a terrace with black wicker armchairs, cushioned loungers and an unusual glass-fronted pool - we almost mistook it for a fish tank! Both bedrooms have TVs and ensuite bathrooms behind glass screens, with walk-in showers made of creamy marble. The master bedroom at the front won the prize for us - here you can lie back on kingsize pure cotton sheets and gaze out to sea.
The villas are in the main apartment block further up the hill behind the coastal road. The largest is Villa 1 - it's on the lowest level, but it still has plenty of light thanks to large sliding windows which capture views of the Atlantic and Lion’s Head. The master bedroom has a kingsize bed, sea views and an ensuite with a bathtub and a shower. There are 4 more double bedrooms and 3 further bathrooms, as well as a guest toilet.
Villas 2 and 3 are split across the ground and first floors, with balconies offering great views of Lion’s Head. Both have master bedrooms with partitioned sitting areas that can hold an extra bed if needed, plus 3 further bedrooms (most with ensuite bathrooms). Villa 2’s master bedroom is particularly special - its limestone flooring is lovely and cool underfoot, and a bathtub and shower are separated from the sleeping area by glass panelling.
In all of the properties you can expect large open-plan living spaces with fully-equipped kitchens, dining tables and sitting areas with plasma TVs and DVD players. Floor-to-ceiling windows make the most of the sea views and lead out to sun decks with private plunge pools and barbecue areas.
- CD player
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Extra beds
- Full kitchen
- Plunge pool
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
- Security alarm system
- Washing machine
The villas are fully equipped for self-catering, with indoor dining tables plus floor-to-ceiling windows which open out so you can eat alfresco. Each well-equipped kitchen comes with a toaster, a kettle, a hob, a microwave, a fridge/freezer and a dishwasher (plus an oven in all except the Penthouse), as well as basic provisions (olive oil, salt and pepper, tea, coffee, washing-up liquid, bin bags etc). Each villa also has a barbecue.
A helpful starter pack (tea, coffee, milk, crisps, biscuits and chocolates) is provided on arrival. There's a Pick'n Pay supermarket (15 minutes' walk away) for you to stock up on most things, although beware they don't sell beer across the counter in Camps Bay. For deli-prepared meals head to nearby Carlucci's (29 Victoria Road, Bantry Bay) or La Cuccina (Hout Bay). Woolworth's (which also has stores at Hout Bay, the V&A Waterfront and Kloof Street) is South Africa's version of Marks & Spencer and sells similar high-quality food.
Should you prefer to eat out, there are some good restaurants nearby. Try Col'Cacchio for delicious thin-based pizzas, or Salt in Bantry Bay, which is highly recommended for its fresh and modern South African cuisine and great views.
- Full kitchen
- Restaurants nearby
- Welcome hamper
- Chill out at home or stroll down to the beach: trendy Camps Bay beach can be very windy; Glen Beach is more enclosed
- Take one of the world's most incredible drives to Cape Point via the magnificent Chapman's Peak Drive, stopping off at Boulder's Beach to see the famous penguins or cutting across to Kalk Bay for a lazy seafood lunch at Live Bait or Harbour House
- Take a trip up Table Mountain - the cable car is a short drive away and you can walk back down - or climb the spectacular peak of Lion’s Head to watch the sunset
- Drive to Hout Bay, which has a great craft market every Sunday
- Take the ferry from the V&A Waterfront the World Heritage site of Robben Island, where ex-political prisoners act as tour guides; see where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for more than a quarter of a century
- Visit Cape Town's museums, including the Gold Museum and the District Six Museum (built to commemorate an area of the city razed to the ground when its inhabitants were moved to the townships during apartheid)
Activities on site or nearby include:
Children are welcome in all of the villas, the Main House and the Penthouse. Extra beds and travel cots can be provided and a clip-on travel highchair is available (a sturdier highchair and a larger wooden cot can be hired at a reasonable rate if needed).
Family friendly accommodation:
The Penthouse would suit a family of 4 as it has 2 bedrooms (1 double and 1 twin), while larger family groups should opt for the Main House, which has 3 double bedrooms and 1 twin. Both are right on the beach making them good for kids. The 3 villas can sleep up to 10 guests each (in double beds only) and are set back from the beach behind a road.
Babysitting can be arranged with a local agency (Super Sitters).
Baby cots and highchairs are available on request.
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Glen Beach Villas are in Camps Bay, a 15-minute drive from central Cape Town, South Africa.
The nearest airport is Cape Town International (30km away). It's served by many international and domestic flights - click on the links below for details.
From the Airport
The owners offer a transfer service from the airport (request when booking), but most guests hire a car (see below).
For car hire see our car rental recommendations. It's an easy drive (around 1 hour) from the airport to the Glen Beach. The villas each have a garage for 2 cars; the Main House and Penthouse have on-street parking.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to South Africa and getting around
- Cape Town International 30.0 km CPT
- Beach 0.1 km
- Shops 1.0 km
- Restaurant 1.0 km