“One of Mallorca's best hotels: a stylishly-restored 17th century mansion where original Chagalls and Hockneys blend with authentic local interiors”
There's a fabulous infinity pool and Jacuzzi lined with private cabanas, a beauty centre offering massages, and orchards and rose gardens to wander around. The setting gives wonderful tranquility but golf courses, beaches and Palma's boutiques, cafes and galleries are just a 20-minute drive away. Guided hiking, biking and sightseeing excursions around the island can be arranged by friendly, long-standing staff.
- Immaculate decor and comfort throughout; 5-star luxury on an intimate scale
- The suites: grand, expansive and private with wonderfully self-indulgent marble bathrooms
- Excellent breakfasts, and haute cuisine in the evenings (suckling pig, hake with artichokes, fresh fruit with a Cava Sabayon)
- The picturesque rural setting; Puigpunyent is untouched by tourism
- Good for families, friends and couples
- Expensive, but worth it for a special treat (and do look out for offers and credits which make it more affordable)
- You need to reserve poolside cabanas, and pay a supplement for them (unless you're in a suite)
- Perched on a hilltop, it's a steep climb back from the village
- Limited selection of restaurants in Puigpunyent so you may need to drive out if you want a change of scene for dinner
- If going in winter, be warned the pool is not heated
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurant (open daily)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
Son Net's 31 rooms and suites are all individually decorated with exquisite taste. The most memorable are the Grand Suites - larger than most London apartments - and certainly ranking among the best if not the best rooms on the island.
Our Grand Suite, Maria de Napoles, with its original blue-and-white frescoes, huge shuttered windows, four-poster bed and bright red-and-white striped sofas, was thoroughly decadent and the black marble bathroom with its freestanding bath large enough to satisfy the most demanding celebrity. But if your credit limit won't stretch to a suite, other rooms do not disappoint. All are elegantly equipped with comfortable beds, traditional furniture, spacious wardrobes and gleaming marble bathrooms with underfloor heating, powerful showers, L'Occitane toiletries and big mirrors.
Classic Rooms are on the ground floor with views to the garden. These are the smallest and least expensive rooms, but furnishings are still of the highest quality and bathrooms are spacious and beautiful. Two of these rooms can be connected (useful for families), but there is no room for extra beds.
Superior Rooms are more spacious and mostly on the 1st floor overlooking the pretty courtyard or the countryside. Three are on the ground floor, though, with independent entrance from the garden and a private terrace with wonderful views over the valley and surrounding mountains. These would be our recommendation in this category.
Deluxe Rooms offer the most bang for your buck. Set on the 2nd floor at the top of the building, they are large yet cosy due to their attic-beamed ceilings. They have excellent south-facing views of the pool, village and verdant valley beyond. The best ones are on the corners, including No 35.
Formerly known as 'Grand Suite Villas', the Deluxe Pool Rooms have their own entrance and French doors lead out from the extensive lounge area to a private Jacuzzi (all but one villa) and shared swimming pool. Large marble bathrooms include walk-in shower and oversized bath. Views are of the surrounding mountains and gardens. One room can accommodate an additional bed.
Grand Suites occupy the best locations in the finca, and have large windows and huge living rooms with superb views over the countryside, or private terraces. One even has an antique telescope for star-spotting. Number 22, Jaime III, where Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones have stayed, has 2 salons (one with dining table) and stunning blue-and-white floor tiles that were uncovered during the restoration. Room 20, Sancho Primero has 2 queen-sized 4-posters and a magnificent arched terrace overlooking the pool, village and valley.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Extra beds
- Internet access
- Iron (on request)
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
By special agreement, the Oleum restaurant takes its name from the same internationally acclaimed restaurant in LA. Oleum sets out to reflect the best of local cuisine - in this case a fusion of Mediterranean and Mallorcan. Its setting within the huge centuries-old original olive press, flanked by giant steel fork and knife installations, manages to achieve a clever sense of originality combined with authenticity.
Haute cuisine is on offer in the evening. Dishes are derived largely from fresh local ingredients - such as loin of Mallorcan lamb served with mashed potatoes, glazed pumpkin and licorice and tarragon jus; suckling pig with grilled vegetables scented with lemon, or hake with artichokes, followed by fresh fruit with Cava Sabayon - and accompanied by an impressive wine list, including some of Son Net's own organic Malvasia harvest. There was no obvious veggie option so it would be worth letting the hotel know dietary requirements in advance. Some of the dishes can be rich so choose carefully.
The service can at times be somewhat elaborate but is unquestionably focused. If staying in one of the suites, we would be tempted to spend one evening holed up in your private salon with a good film and room service!
In summer, El Gazebo, an informal outdoor restaurant, is open for lunches of freshly grilled fish and seafood, pasta, and a salad buffet with stunning views of the valley of Puigpunyent.
We enjoyed breakfast the most out of all our meals: the spread, including a sumptuous array of fruits, local hams and cheeses, is beautifully presented and your own chef will be on hand to conjure up a cooked breakfast should you wish.
In winter, afternoon tea accompanied by scones, muffins, plum cakes, fruit cakes and finger sandwiches, is served by a crackling fire.
The Bar Son Net offers cocktails in a cosy setting inside and in summer there is a pool bar, El Mirador which serves tropical milkshakes, cocktails and ice creams.
- Organic produce
- Room service
- Swimming - a magnificent outdoor pool on a terrace with views of Puigpunyent village and the surrounding mountains
- Lazing - tented cabanas situ around the pool, available for hire and extra privacy. There's also a variety of board games at guests' disposal
- Hiking - the Tramuntana mountain range is spectacular and has lots of great hiking trails. Son Net can provide details of routes and a guide if required
- Cycling - Mallorca is ideal for cycling with some challenging hills. Mountain bikes are available to borrow from the hotel
- Golf - there are excellent golf courses about 30 minutes' drive away, including Golf de Andratx, Son Termens, Real Golf of Bendinat, Poniente and Son Vida. The hotel can arrange tee times
- Horse riding - exursions close to the hotel can be arranged
- Well being - there is a jacuzzi by the pool and a small beauty centre for massages and other treatments
- Exploring - visit Palma (a 20-minute drive) for its Gothic architecture, cafes, boutiques and modern art galleries, or take the old wooden train from Palma to Soller
- Driving - take a leisurely drive along the stunning north west coast. Classic convertibles, including Jaguar E-Type, Porsche 356 and Triumph TR3 can be hired for the day; enquire at reception
- Beaches - the hotel can advise on the island's best secluded coves and sandy beaches
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Cooking classes
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Language courses
- Mountain biking
- Private guided tours
- Well being
Children of all ages are welcome. There are no organised activities for kids, but babysitting can be arranged and all except the Classic and Superior rooms have space for an extra bed for a supplement. Superior rooms can fit a baby cot
Babies (0-1 years), Toddlers (1-4 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
2 of the Classic Rooms can be interconnected for a family (and made up as twins or doubles). One Deluxe Pool room has a private pool and garden, and interconnects with a Superior room. The Suites are all huge and can fit up to 3 rollaway beds + 1 baby cot (or have sofabeds)
Babysitting available by arrangement
Baby cots available on request
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Gran Hotel Son Net is located on the edge of Puigpunyent village, a 15-20 minute drive northwest from Palma de Mallorca airport.
Palma (25km). Click on the links below for a list of airlines.
From the Airport
Although airport transfers can be arranged by the hotel, car rental is highly recommended. Palma's city centre is 15 minutes away; sandy beaches are approx 20-30 minutes from the hotel.
See our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions are provided when booking is confirmed through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Mallorca and getting around
- Palma 25.0 km PMI
- Beach 25.0 km
- Shops 0.2 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km