“Flamboyant boutique hotel in the heart of London's Theatreland with fab interiors, bold colour schemes and a funky subterranean pool”
Upstairs its bold bedrooms and suites are supremely comfortable without a stitch of stuffiness nor pointless minimalism. Quality is beyond question, down to bathroom products made by Kit Kemp. But if you want to "WOW", wander below decks to the psychedelic swimming pool - complete with pewter bar, gold Chesterfields and pink light show. Obsessive attention to detail, impeccable service and bold yet graceful design make this somewhere very special. Best of all, everything works.
- Beautiful, quirky interior design - rare in this part of town
- Slap bang in the middle of London's West End, close to top end shopping enclaves, theatres and galleries - ideal for families as well as couples
- Fabulously comfortable and spacious rooms
- Stunning communal spaces, from the twinkling star-lit swimming pool to the breathtaking Shooting Gallery with its exquisite hand-painted wallpaper
- Top drawer service, concierge and housekeeping that can provide anything from curling tongs to shaving kits
- The extras, like breakfast and hefty honesty bar prices, can mount up
- We found the temperature of the pool a tad too refreshing - although perfect for doing laps
- Occasional private events can preclude use of pool but this is always temporary and they will let you know in advance
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 49 + 1 townhouse
- Restaurant and bar
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Indoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
Funky, eccentric English style emanates from every room. Expect vibrant colours, high ceilings and big sash windows ensuring the best use of natural light. Enormous care's been taken matching fabrics and bespoke furnishings, from the giant padded headboards to Kit Kemp's trademark tailor's dummies, upholstered to blend in with the theme of your room. And, as London hotel rooms go, the Haymarket gives you lots of space.
All rooms have a guide to what's hot in London, and though you won't find a tea making tray, there's a tempting minibar stocked with goodies (from pink champagne to scented candles). Sparkling granite bathrooms are spotless and roomy; most have a flatscreen TV set above the bath - perfect for unwinding.
The Superior Rooms are the smallest but they certainly don't feel claustrophobic (and those on the top floor have rooftop views). Luxury and Deluxe Rooms are slightly bigger while Junior Suites enjoy larger sitting areas with sofas and armchairs. The 1- and 2-Bedroom Suites are fit for any A-lister but come with a formidable price tag.
Top of the pile is the fully serviced 4-storey Townhouse situated on a quiet side street with a private entrance, direct access to the hotel, large fully-equipped kitchen and drawing room.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Extra beds
- Ipod dock
- Safe box
Decked out in fun canine-themed chairs, the hotel's modern brasserie-style all day restaurant Brumus is named after the owner's dog. It attracts theatre-goers and London's movers and shakers, with big windows looking out to the Haymarket hubbub. For dinner, starters range from Dorset crab to potted rabbit. The soused mackerel with pickled vegetables was particularly good and there's a solid selection of seafood dishes as well as tasty steaks.
Alongside Brumus is a buzzing bar where global snacks and imaginative cocktails are served through the evening. We also recommend the room service menu, available 24 hours a day.
For breakfast there’s a spread of fresh berries, cereals and pastries, plus hot dishes made to order. Free range this and organic that are the norm. Don’t miss the American-style pancakes with maple syrup and dry-cured bacon.
If you want to eat out, you're spoilt for choice - check-in your in-room guide or ask the team for their latest top tips!
- Children's meals
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Swim - the pool's a must. Its funky light installation, starry ceiling, long bar and gold sofas make it all seem very "rock and roll". There's also a gym and a personal trainer. You can take boxing sessions or try the "Rocky Workout" which takes you from the hotel to London parks and back for full body stretch
- Treat yourself with a full range of beauty treatments and pampering: manicures, pedicures, massages (including Thai, Aromatherapy, Detox, Shiatsu, Facials
- Curl up in your lovely room: get an ice bucket sent up for champagne or settle in to watch a film (reception has a good selection of films)
- Go to the theatre: you're in the heart of the West End with its many shows. The famous Haymarket Theatre Royal is next door and Her Majesty's Theatre is opposite.
- Check out our London top tips - Trafalgar Square and the National Gallery are just round the corner; you’re perfectly placed for shopping and St James and Green Park are both within walking distance
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
- Well being
The lovely staff welcome all kids with an age-appropriate gift on arrival; unprompted they also brought our 2 year old daughter some books to keep her amused at breakfast and a bath toy in the evening.
However, this is quite a grown-up hotel so don't expect to be outnumbered by children. Nor is this the sort of place that would appreciate kids screaming around the public areas.
Family friendly accommodation:
If money is no object, the 4-storey Townhouse (complete with big kitchen and 2-5 bedrooms) would be amazing for larger families. The 2 Bedroom Suites are ideal for families (2 bathrooms and a kitchenette); the the Junior Suites can also take an extra bed. All rooms can take a baby cot.
Babysitting or nannies can be arranged for a charge - they ask for as much notice as possible but we gave them virtually none and they still delivered very well
- Baby cots (with lovely bedding)
- High chairs
- Children's cutlery
- Kid-friendly toiletries
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Children's portions and a kids' menu are available in the restaurant; milk and cookies are offered at bedtime. There's also 24-hour room service.
Kids Activities on site:
- Children's books and board games
- Family DVDs and popcorn
- iPod docking stations
- Family Sky TV
- Nintendo Wii
- Swimming pool
Kids Activities nearby:
- London activities book to complete while exploring famous London attractions
- Theatres and museums on your doorstep
- St James and Hyde Parks
- Shopping down Regent Street and Oxford Street
- Open top sightseeing bus tours
Families Should Know:
At the pool, children under 16 need to be accompanied by an adult at all times. Watch out for sticky fingers on the perfect furnishings.
- Doctor: on call
- Shops: 1 minute