“Swish waterside hotel with spacious rooms, a lavish spa, and a private speedboat for exploring the nearby Kvarner islands”
Set in gardens with lawns, palms and pink-flowering lagerstroemia (crape-myrtle) trees, it affords a wide vista across the shimmering gulf. You enter into a lobby of travertine stone with gold inlay, furnished with blue velvet armchairs. There are 16 spacious rooms and suites with grey marble bathrooms, an extensive spa (with sauna, steam and flotation rooms), and a fine-dining restaurant featuring a pretty terrace with sea views.
The Ikador is all about one thing: indulgence. Relax at the classy Riva Lounge, which serves drinks by the infinity pool; recline on a sunbed on the raised wooden deck built into the rocks, or take the steps down to the Adriatic for a refreshing dip. If you're feeling more active, a scenic coastal promenade walk (12km) runs right past the hotel and ends up in Volosko, taking in some beautiful sights along the way. Or, if you prefer to travel by sea, the Riva speedboat can zip you off on private trips to the nearby islands - James Bond style.
- The waterside location, with sweeping views over the Kvarner Gulf, and Cres and Krk islands
- The sophisticated Riva Lounge, showcasing Italian Riva design, with a heated saltwater infinity pool, a jazuzzi and a bar
- Nobilion, a gourmet a la carte restaurant with a sea-view terrace, and chef's table in a private dining space
- Riva Aquariva speedboat available for private tours
- Bespoke service: a concierge arranges transfers, trips and excursions, with specialist local insight
- Only the Royal and Presidential Suites have bathtubs – other rooms have shower-only bathrooms
- The garden is newly landscaped, so the planting still needs time to become established
- This is a new purpose-built hotel, so it's slightly lacking a sense of history, and it isn't the prettiest structure
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurant and bar
- All ages welcome
- Closed: 8 Apr 2020 - 16 Apr 2020...
- Heated Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Laundry service
- Mini golf
There are nine double rooms and seven suites. Walls are painted in neutral greys, while velvety upholstery comes in luscious petrol blue, moss green or mustard yellow. Glass doors open onto spacious loggias or balconies, most of which have dazzling sea views (only the Executive Suite looks onto parkland).
Expect big comfy beds with Egyptian cotton linens and a pillow menu, floors of smoked oak wood and grey marble, a desk area with an espresso coffee machine, kettle (herbal teas provided), tablet, and complimentary minibar (soft drinks).
Spacious grey marble bathrooms come with superb walk-in rain-showers, enormous white porcelain wash-basins and big round mirrors, Hermes toiletries, plus thoughtful extras such as Marvis toothpaste and mouthwash.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- Ipod dock
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
A la carte breakfasts are served at Nobilion Restaurant, on a lovely terrace with grey marble-top tables, overlooking the garden and the bay below. Themed menus include "English" (Istrian smoked bacon, sausage, and free-range eggs) and "Wellness" (fruit, yoghurt and homemade granola), plus proper Italian coffee.
At dinner, expect delights such as tuna tataki, Kvarner shrimp risotto, oven-baked sea bass with potatoes and courgettes, dry-aged steaks with pumpkin cream, and sublime chocolate mousse. Waiter service is excellent and the sommelier will suggest Croatian quality wines to accompany each dish.
In the garden, the Riva Lounge features yacht-inspired Italian Riva furnishing, and does fabulous cocktails (try the AquaRiva, combining gin, elderflower syrup, lemon, tonic, tropical blue syrup and fresh mint) and tasty snacks (such as swordfish club sandwich) on a wooden deck by the infinity pool. There's also the Edgar Cigar Bar, with a big fireplace and quality cigars.
- Coffee / tea making
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Chill out at blissful Ikalia Spa, which offers a sauna, experience showers, massages with stones (hot and cold), beauty treatments, and a gravity-free (water) bed you "float" on. There's also a gym and a sea-view terrace for yoga classes.
- Play a round of minigolf - there's a nine-hole course in the garden.
- Take a private sailing trip aboard the hotel's magnificent Riva speedboat, crossing the Kvarner Gulf to the blissful islands of Cres and Losinj.
- Spend the day by the heated seawater infinity pool and jacuzzi at the Riva Lounge, with wooden sunbeds and waiter service, or take a recliner on the seaside deck, where you can swim directly into the sparkling Adriatic.
- Borrow a stand-up paddleboard (SUP) and paddle along the indented coast, to discover secluded pebble coves backed by the dramatic pine-wooded heights of Mount Ucka.
- Walk along the lovely late-19th-century tree-lined "lungomare" (seaside promenade), running 12km from Lovran to Volosko, passing through Opatija, a sailing marina and several pretty fishing harbours along the way.
- Spend a day exploring the port city of Rijeka, European Capital of Culture 2020.
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Cooking classes
- Private guided tours
- Well being
Children are welcome, though the general mood here is sophisticated and restful. Activities that would appeal to kids include the pool, stand-up paddleboarding and mini-golf in the garden. Extra beds are available in the suites, and babysitting can be arranged on request.
Family friendly accommodation:
The suites are recommended for families as they are more spacious and can take extra beds.
- High chair
- Baby cots
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Swimming pool
- Boat trips
- Airport: 45 minutes
- Hospital: 30 minutes
- Shops: Five minutes
Ikador Luxury Boutique Hotel & Spa overlooks the seafront promenade in the village of Ika, in the Kvarner district. It is close to Lovran (2km) and Opatija (5km).
Fly into Rijeka (47km), Pula (100km), Ljubljana (135km) or Zagreb (192km).
From the airport:
Airport transfers can be arranged on request, or you can hire a car from the airport and drive to Ikador.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Rijeka 47.0 km RYK
- Pula 100.0 km PUY
- Beach 0.3 km
- Shops 0.2 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km