“Welcoming sophisticated townhouse hotel with romantic rooms and an enchanting courtyard cafe”
Today, the hotel has 16 elegant bedrooms, a bijou roof terrace and a magical courtyard, around which ses Bruixes life centres. Whether it’s guests taking leisurely breakfasts, friends catching up over coffee and cake, or a one-off play being performed to a candlelit crowd, Anja is dedicated to filling the hotel with life and creativity, sharing it with guests and locals alike. A wonderful welcome to Menorca.
- In the centre of Maó, Menorca's capital, a 5-minute walk from the Santa Maria church, market and harbour
- Large, stylish rooms, all with wood-burning fireplaces, freestanding tubs and walk-in showers
- A fascinating building full of history, where regular arts and culture events are held
- A free car park nearby; hire a car for your stay and whizz to beaches, vineyards and historical sights
- Good value
- No lunch or dinner served on Sundays; not a hardship, there are snacks and Mao's restaurants are all around
- The first-floor Suite Loft Deluxe room is stunning, but it can experience noise from the courtyard
- A 3-night minimum stay during summer
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurant + bar
- Over 10 years only
- Open all year
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
Anja has embraced Menorca’s varied historic influences - British, French, Arabic - in ses Bruixes’ elegant décor. From towering sash windows and Art Deco tiles to 18th-century doors rescued from Maó’s Teatre Pricipal (and repurposed as headboards), every detail helps tell the story of this beautiful island.
We stayed on the first floor, traditionally where the owners of the property would spend their time, and were smitten with our light-filled Noble Deluxe room, with its high ceilings and enormous bed. Also on this floor is the Suite Great Terrace room: French doors open onto a sheltered seating area, from which guests can view the courtyard or join the fun via the gallery-style walkway.
Rooms on the upper floor are more modern. We loved Suite Loft Deluxe's endearing nautical wood beams and porthole windows, inspired by Anja's time managing a classic sailboat.
Unusually, every bathroom has an elegant freestanding tub and walk-in shower, so although rooms vary in size and styling, there really isn't a dud one.
- Air conditioning
- Coffee / tea making
- Extra beds
- Safe box
There are few more charming places to start your day than the peaceful inner courtyard of ses Bruixes. Like the centre of a Moroccan riad, fruit trees nudge against glittering chandeliers, cascading blooms sit atop natural wood tables, and a cushioned gallery-style walkway presides over all. We liked it so much we lingered for hours, eating delicate scrambled eggs, warm bread and homemade jams, freshly squeezed orange juice and perfectly balanced cappuccinos.
The space evolves into a cafe and restaurant as the morning wears on. Locals congregate for cake and a catch-up - the atmosphere is warm and familiar. As dusk falls, intricate lanterns glow and dinner is on offer most evenings. For other meals, Maó's buzzing tapas bars, family-friendly eateries and upmarket restaurants await.
- Coffee / tea making
- Restaurants nearby
- Tour Maó’s architectural assets, from the magnificent Santa Maria church and the Carmelite Convent and Church, to the buzzing Mercado de Pescadoes and bustling harbour
- Drive 20 minutes to Menorca’s pretty south-coast beaches - often hidden behind fragrant woodlands, the small coves offer powder-white sand and sheltered turquoise waters
- Relax with a treatment at the hotel's indulgent spa
- Discover the island's military history: there are 2 forts and a military hospital surrounding Maó, and the coastal Cami de Cavalls route was a defense from sea attacks
- At just 50km long, it's easy to explore the entire island through day trips (including west-coast outpost Ciutadella); for more ideas and inspiration, see our destination guide
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
- Wine tasting
Children over the age of 10 are welcome, but the atmosphere is calm and sound echoes around the old building. All bedrooms are spacious and have private bathrooms with bathtubs and separate showers, and most can hold extra beds. The courtyard is secure.
Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Most rooms have space for 1 extra bed; two Noble Deluxe rooms have space for 2 extra beds. Some Noble Deluxe rooms and Grand Comfort rooms share landings so are ideal for families. All rooms can interconnect
Jardi de ses Bruixes is in central Maó (Mahon), Menorca's capital, on the east coast of the island.
Mahon (6km) is Menorca's only airport. You can take a taxi from here, but if you plan to explore the island, we'd recommend that you hire a car for your stay. There's a free car park along the road from the hotel.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
- Mahon (Maó) 6.0 km MAH
- Beach 5.0 km
- Shops 0.1 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km