“A gorgeous little B&B in a peaceful Provencal village, with three stylish rooms, a courtyard garden (with a petite pool) and fabulous food”
Afterwards, you spin-off to explore the smorgasbord of wonders nearby: the matchless Pont du Gard, papal Avignon, Roman Nîmes, Van Gogh’s Arles with its 1st-century amphitheatre, then rivers to swim in, hills to climb, ancient villages, a couple of national parks – France in its best colours. Come home to chic, uncluttered rooms that offer plenty of creature comforts: crisp linen, kingsize beds, a sofa or armchair, luxury toiletries. Owner Marc, a cook, will whisk up a feast of local, seasonal food in the evening if you want (and you do). He also runs cooking workshops that end with a very good lunch washed down with regional wines. We've yet to visit ourselves, but we reckon foodie couples will love it here.
- The unexpectedly beautiful courtyard garden, a lovely spot to escape the world
- The striking style and spoiling rooms of this sympathetically renovated village house
- Owner Marc’s fabulous food is sourced from local producers and served with local wines
- You’re in the middle of an area brimming with fascinating things to see and do: Uzes, Arles and the Pont du Gard are all nearby
- Marc, the kindest of hosts, will happily share his secrets of the region
- The pool (open April through September) is very small, but you’ll love it on hot summer days
- You’re out in the country, so you’ll need a car to explore unless you come by bike. Note, there’s no off-street parking, but you can park within 30 metres
- There are no other restaurants in the village - you’ll have to drive if you want to eat out
- No twin rooms
- No children under 12. This is a peaceful retreat for adults
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Guesthouse
- 3 rooms
- Breakfast (+ other meals on request)
- Only children aged 12 years and over are accepted
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
- Electric bikes
All three rooms are different, and all are attractive, with a mix of stone and lime-washed walls, local art, fresh flowers, painted beams, stone floors and rustic furniture. They all have air conditioning, though thick stone walls and vaulted ceilings in two of them keep them cool even in summer. Kingsize beds have thick duvets, crisp linen and Provençal throws. Bathrooms feature cool walk-in showers, organic soaps and separate toilets. There’s good storage, too.
Alzon is the biggest suite with a large stylish sitting room that comes with a cool sofa that turns into a bed. We like the look of Gardon, which has a vaulted stone ceiling, niches and alcoves for books and flowers, then a small sitting area with a sofa, where doors open onto the courtyard. Cèze is a lovely big room with warm colours, a comfy armchair and a beautifully renovated stone wall. All rooms have WiFi and carafes of water.
- Air conditioning
Food is at the heart of Maison Blanche and you could easily mistake this cool little B&B for a stylish restaurant with rooms. Everything you eat here is either homemade or locally sourced, much of it organic, all of it seasonal.
Breakfast is delicious and served in the courtyard unless the weather conspires against you (unlikely). You’ll find artisan bread, homemade jams, fresh fruit, plates of local cheese and charcuterie, strong coffee and English tea.
Dinner is available by arrangement – wines chosen to bring out the flavours of the food are included. We can’t list specific menus as they change every day depending on what’s in season, but what you eat comes from local smallholders, with excellent fish and seafood from the market in Nîmes.
- Dinner by arrangement
- Lunch by arrangement
- You can rent electric bikes or bring your own, then explore the hills. The hike is excellent, too – owner Marc will tell you where.
- For Francophiles, there’s a boules pitch in the village with balls waiting at the B&B.
- Book a cooking class with Marc - food is his speciality!
- Wander around Uzès, one of the best-preserved medieval towns in France. Its labyrinth of narrow streets plays host to the Saturday market, one of the best in Provence.
- Explore the wide array of outdoor activities around Uzès - canoeing, horseriding, kayaking, golfing and even parachuting.
- See the Pont du Gard, the iconic aqueduct that was built in the first century to carry water to Nîmes. You can cycle across it, kayak under it, or just gaze in wonder at its beauty.
- Visit Arles, where Vincent Van Gogh cut off his left ear. Its magnificent Roman amphitheatre dates back to the 1st Century and is worth the trip alone.
- Explore Lussan, one of the ‘most beautiful villages’ in France. From behind its ramparts, views stretch for miles to the north, south, east and west.
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Cooking classes
- Horse riding
- Mountain biking
- Museums / galleries
- Plantlife / flora
- Shopping / markets
- Wine tasting
Children aged 12 and over are welcome. Younger children are accepted but they must be supervised at all times, especially around the pool. To be honest, La Maison Blanche is tailored towards adults and couples.
Teens (over 12)
La Maison Blanche is located in the village of La Bastide d'Engras, 14km north of Uzès and within an hour’s drive of Nîmes and Avignon, in Provence, southern France.
Fly into Avignon (50km), Nimes (62km),
Montpellier (99km), Marseille (142km)
From the Airport
We’d recommend hiring a car to make the most of the area (see below). Alternatively, bus services are available from the above airports to Uzès, and from there you could take a taxi.
Avignon is served by high-speed TGV trains from Paris, Lille and other French cities, as well as some seasonal Eurostar services from London (the journey time is around six hours). You can hire a car or take a taxi to the guesthouse (45 mins), or a bus as far as Uzès. See Seat 61 for more information.
Ideally, you'll need a car while staying at La Maison Blanche. You can pick up a hire car at the airport or TGV station; see our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Avignon 50.0 km AVN
- Nimes 62.0 km FNI
- Beach 97.0 km
- Shops 9.0 km
- Restaurant 9.0 km