“Glamorous clifftop guesthouse - ultra-stylish bedrooms and panoramic views of Rio's spectacular coastline”
Interiors are reminiscent of a lavishly decorated French manor house, with a very modern twist provided by hip 1970s furniture. The 7 bedrooms use vibrant colours to startling effect: each comes with Warhol prints and matching marble bathrooms: yellow bedroom leads into yellow marble bathroom; choose the pink bedroom and you'll find its bathroom clad in rare pink marble. There are private decks for massages, an infinity pool with staggering views, and some fine dining by arrangement. An exclusive district, a breathtaking setting and impossibly romantic.
- Most stunning views of any hotel we've seen in Rio (and enjoyed by all rooms)
- Wonderfully imaginative interior design with deliciously decorated bedrooms, all with private balconies or terraces
- Spectacular cliff-hanging infinity pool
- It's only a short drive down to Joatinga, the surfers' secret hangout and one of Rio's most picturesque beaches
- Exclusive district with a gated street - so you get a great feeling of privacy
- With just 7 rooms it feels intimate and personal - a welcome change from Rio's usual chain hotels
- There's not much action within walking distance, but taxis are easily ordered and these will take you anywhere: Leblon and Ipanema with their beaches, clubs and restaurants are only 20 minutes away
- Don't expect hotel-style service - this is a laid-back place and it's sometimes difficult to track staff down
- Occassional private parties and gatherings hosted at La Suite by Dussol have caused some clients to feel slightly excluded
- The resident dogs can be over-friendly, particularly when there's food around
- As with many Brazilian hotels, the staff speak limited English
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Guesthouse
- Breakfast (+ other meals on request)
- Welcome, but not recommended
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
There are 7 boldly decorated bedrooms, each with different brightly coloured themes, matching art and marble bathrooms. There's bright lemon yellow, lime green, strawberry pink or more restrained grey. All rooms have balconies with tables and chairs, where you can pass the day away enjoying the view and sipping freshly made caipirinhas. The bedrooms may be bright, but definitely not gaudy thanks to the deft and talented touch of François-Xavier - we giggled at the china hands holding bedside lamps. Beautiful polished hardwood floors are a feature throughout the house, and the huge double beds come with Egyptian cotton linen. All rooms have air conditioning, WiFi and iPod docks but no TVs (although who needs them with views like these?).
The Yellow Suite is our favourite simply due to the bright colours, which mix beautifully with the Rio sunshine coming in though the glass terrace doors in the morning. The yellow marble bathroom is a sight to behold, and the views from the generous 2-person shower make it difficult to leave in the mornings.
The Green Suite is a striking mix of lime green walls and a dark brown ceiling, with touches of gold detailing. The ensuite is a mottled brown and white marble, with a lighter-coloured sink and shower.
The entire White Suite is vibrant white, with a striking pink and yellow Warhol print of Monroe on one wall and a clear crystal chandelier lighting up every detail at night. The studded leather headboard is another interesting touch, with a variety of mirrored doors providing even more natural light.
The Black Suite is the most striking, with a black ceiling and one corner almost entirely made of glass providing 180-degree views of the ocean, mountains and city. The ultra-modern four-poster bed has a stainless steel frame draped with curtains of white tassels, and the room is lit by a black crystal chandelier. Spectacular views from the private balcony, 2 ensuites of rich black marble (one with a bathtub) and a white calf-skin rug add the finishing touches.
The Purple Suite is the most spacious, with an enormous lovers’ shower, a bathtub, and a pink Matadors' cape and a great Monroe print decorating the walls. The Blue Suite is blue all over, with antique cushioned chairs and a blue and white marble bathroom. The Pink Suite is extremely pretty, with an area divided off which could be used to accommodate a child.
- Air conditioning
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Ipod dock
- Plunge pool
- Safe box
Breakfast is served on the upstairs terrace, with each course meticulously prepared. We enjoyed an amazing selection of local fruits to start, including mangos, pineapple, sweet bananas and star fruit, together with fresh yoghurt, honey and granola. This was followed by French pastries freshly cooked on the premises, with conserves and excellent coffee and hot chocolate. We then enjoyed a selection of cheeses and hams, served together with guava jelly (a local speciality). The fruit juices are freshly squeezed and delicious, and eggs can be cooked to order.
Lunch and dinner are available on request, with the option of joining in the cooking and learning some of the arts of the Brazilian kitchen. The staff are very attentive and François-Xavier often has a distinguished guest chef visiting from France to add an additional level of sophistication to the very tasty local dishes. You can dine on the main terrace, at a long marble table in the inviting red-coloured dining room, or on your private balcony with the lights of Rio twinkling off the waters below - a hard one to beat in terms of pure romance. Cocktails are also served each evening, with guests from La Maison sometimes visiting.
You'll need to take a cab if you want to eat out, but Rio has some great restaurants to try and staff can advise on the latest hotspots in Leblon and Ipanema.
- Dinner by arrangement
- Lunch by arrangement
- Hang out by the pool, lap up the views and arrange to have a massage - it's the sort of place where you could easily spend the day without venturing out
- Surf at Rio's secret Joatinga beach, a few minutes' drive down the hill
- Shop till you drop in São Conrado's Fashion Mall
- Dine out, party and mingle with the beautiful people in some of the great bars and restaurants in Leblon or Ipanema, just a 20-minute drive away
- Take the plunge from the top of Pedra da Gávea (Gávea's Stone) and hang glide down to São Conrado beach below - you can take a tandem flight with an instructor
- Go hiking in the Forest of Tijuca, one of the largest expanses of urban forest in the world
- Head into central Rio to take in the views from Christ the Redeemer and the top of Sugarloaf Mountain
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Hang gliding
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Plantlife / flora
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
- Traditional cultures
La Suite by Dussol is a romantic retreat that's most suited to couples, with wooden floors, steep staircases, terraces and lots of delicate objets d’art. The relatively close proximity of guests also requires careful management of any little ones. François-Xavier is an attentive host, however, and would certainly do his best to accommodate a couple with a child. Cots and extra beds are available, and babysitters can be booked.
Family friendly accommodation:
Cots Available, Extra Beds Available
Babysitting is available by arrangement.
Baby cots are available on request.
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking