Le Domaine De Tam Hai
near Hoi An, Hue - Danang - Nha Trang, Vietnam Book from Book from £95 per night
Here you forget about work, worries, stress and shoes. Instead, bury your toes in warm white sands. If you’re feeling sporty, you can be whisked off diving, or kayak across the river to a deserted wild-sea beach, minutes away. At sunset, dine on ocean-fresh fish, grilled with herbs and lime, at a romantic table by the water’s edge. The place is heaven-sent for families, too, thanks to tree-hung swings and staff who could not be kinder. Wake to the sounds of gentle waves on the distant shore, the swish of the palms, the put-put of fishing boats from the nearby village heading out to sea. A well-guarded secret among in-the-know travellers, it’s an inspired escape from the busy beat of the mainland - and the sunsets are spectacular.
- This is a rare side of Vietnam away from the tourists; wonderfully remote but easy to get to - the speedboat ride to the resort is great!
- The relaxed beach vibe is blissful and such a contrast to Vietnam's hectic cities
- Friendly staff couldn't be more accommodating - they offer a free laundry service, free drinking water and can tailor meals
- Rustic, colourful cottages with tropical semi-outdoor bathrooms
- Delicious fresh seafood dinners, served waterside
- Excellent prices
- The resort is currently closed due to major storm damage
- As with much of Vietnam, Tam Hai's beaches are littered with plastic, but the beach in front of the hotel is cleaned each morning and staff are working on litter collection schemes for the island
- Be prepared for mud in monsoon season (Sept-Jan)
- At present the water in the taps is salty, but they are in the process of connecting to the main system so this should change soon
- The staff's English is a little patchy, but plans are afoot to introduce language lessons
- This is a back-to-nature retreat; expect creepy crawlies!
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Guesthouse
- 11 rooms
- Restaurant and bar (open daily)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
There are 11 identical villas scattered between the coconut palms, each with a private terrace and a view of the sea. Some are close to the dining area and the pool, others are more distant and extra private.
All are very comfortable inside and very spacious. There are white plaster walls, shining tiled floors, bright curtains at generous windows and slatted, sliding doors. Beds are kingsize (no twins) and are perfectly positioned to face the sea. If you come with a child, daybeds can be made up in the sitting room. Mosquito nets protect you at night; air conditioning and ceiling fans keep you cool.
The bathrooms are spacious and gorgeous, their circular his-and-her basins set into teak, and their half-open, rain showers accessed via stepping stones. There are tip-top toiletries, fluffy bathrobes hanging in baskets, and an enormous bottle of drinking water that gets topped up each day.
- Air conditioning
- Extra beds
- Family friendly
- Mosquito net
- Safe box
- Speakers for MP3/iPod/laptop
You know you're at a boho beach resort when you learn that breakfast is served wherever, whenever. On offer are pancakes, muesli with yoghurt and tropical fruits, freshly baked bread, full English breakfasts, an array of juices, coffee and tea.
Lunch and dinner are a la carte, served at white-clothed tables on the beach - impossibly romantic, especially as the sun goes down. Alternatively, eat in the dining room, circular and elegantly set with round tables; sip cocktails or wine in the sand-floored, multi-sofa’d bar beforehand - don't miss happy hour.
The menu is extensive, and includes classic Vietnamese dishes and loads of seafood - the fish comes straight from the boats, what could be nicer? We had an enormous seafood feast with whole baked fish, juicy prawns, crunchy greens, crispy spring rolls and the best mangoes you’ve ever had. If you have special requests just speak to the staff beforehand - the chef is more than happy to create bespoke meals.
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Family friendly
- Room service
- Wallow in the warm shallows, wade out to the floating Sea Sofa bar for a cocktail, then retreat to a hammock and nod off
- Bask under a parasol by the pretty pool. It has an unusual blend of fresh and salt water, and is warmed by the sun
- Wander around the authentic fishing village of Tam Hai, with its traditional market. No one will hassle you or try to flog you anything
- The hotel’s speedboat can take you up the Hoi An river, or to Birds Island to go diving
- Borrow a kayak and paddle 80m across the estuary to the (sometimes rough) sea and deserted strip of white-sand beach. Here you can snorkel and swim in turquoise waters
- Borrow bikes from the hotel - the island is flat and there are only 2 roads plus lots of sandy tracks to explore
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Private guided tours
- Scuba diving
- Shopping / markets
This is a family-friendly resort of the most tranquil kind - and kids under 6 stay for free when sharing parents' beds. Children will love the warm pool, the warm sands, and the softly sloping beach protected by a sandbank from the sea. Food is available all day.
Babies (0-1 years), Toddlers (1-4 years), Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
All villas are identical, with space for 2 baby cots or 2 daybeds for children.
- Baby cots
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Swimming pool
- Books, DVDs and toys
Kids Activities nearby:
- Swimming in the sea
- Boat trips
- Bird watching
- Airports: 30 mins from Chu Lai, 1.5 hours from Danang
- Hospital: small local hospital on the island; Quang Nam General Hospital is 25 minutes away by boat and car
- Shops: a 10-minute speedboat ride away
For more family-friendly places, see our Kids Collection
Le Domaine De Tam Hai is a resort on a island across the water from the fishing village of Tam Hai. It is 45km (90 mins) from Hoi An and 80km from Danang (2 hours), on the east coast of Vietnam.
The closest airports are Chu Lai and Danang International. If you're coming from Europe, you'll probably fly into Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi, and from these airports you can switch to an internal flight to the nearer airports.
From the Airport
The hotel offers transfers from Danang Airport (2 hours) and Chu Lai (20 minutes). A speedboat whisks you the final leg of the journey.
Vietnam is well served by trains. Take the Reunification Express train to Danang, which operates along the coast from Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, and ask for a transfer from there. See Seat 61 for more details. The hotel also offers transfers from Hoi An.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Chu Lai 15.0 km
- Danang International 80.0 km DAD
- Beach 0.1 km
- Shops 3.0 km
- Restaurant 3.0 km