Spacious bedrooms have a sleek New-England-meets-Scandi seaside vibe – and not a wipe-clean sofa in sight! But you won't be in them much. As we arranged a fossil walk with resident expert and head gardener Andrew, previous guests begged to join, and when we walked, they gushed about how much they loved the place. The laid-back atmosphere, the variety of things to do and the setting make it the only family hotel we're planning to return to.
- Comfortable country-house vibe that will delight kids of all ages, and dogs too
- Far-reaching views of the sea and surrounding fields
- A plethora of fun activities both indoor and out – truly something for everyone in the family
- Restaurant food was delicious, and flexible mealtimes make it easy for those with really young kids
- Close proximity to Dorset's greatest attractions – fossil beaches, Chesil Beach, Weymouth
- Despite being behind Chesil Beach, you have to go to Abbotsbury or Weymouth to access the beach, but you can get onto the coastal path
- Dogs are allowed in all rooms. Note there is a small additional charge for your four-legged pal, but they get a bowl, bed and treats
- Bugaboo high chairs
- Baby monitors
- Bottle warming
- Bugaboo travel cots
- Changing mats
- Nappy bins
- Bugaboo pushchairs
Some equipment may need to be requested in advance
One 90-minute childcare session per night of stay is included for children aged 3 months - 8yrs. There are lots of fun activities, from glitter tattoos to dressing up, plus cooking, archery and art.
Kids' menu with healthy but appealing options, and veggies are well covered! They'll ask in advance if you have any special requirements, and can handle most requests.
- Kids club and Four Bears Den creche
- Games room
- Kids DVDs
- Kids books/toys
- Kids pool
- Climbing wall
- Movie nights
- Soft play
- 10 V3 Yoto Players to borrow, catering for all ages
- Jurassic Coast beaches for fossil hunting, rock pooling or swimming
- Sea Life Centre Weymouth
- Monkey World
- RSPB Wetlands at Weymouth
- Abbotsbury Swannery
- Boutique Family Hotel
- 34 rooms
- Restaurant & bar
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Indoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Creche / Kids Club
- Off-street Parking
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Tennis Court
- Electric car charger
The Classic rooms in the villa were the ones for me. They're light, bright and Scandi/New England in style, with blonde wood, sun-trap decks and plenty of storage. Superior Sea View rooms – found either in the Stable Wing or the Fleethouse – also impress with views across The Fleet to Chesil Beach and beyond.
In the main house, we loved the first-floor Deluxe rooms with high ceilings and playful art. Cosy rooms – best for a couple (with or without a baby) – are over the restaurant. Second-floor rooms, whilst spacious, can be hot in summer, so do request a fan. There's a lift to transport all your gear, and plenty of wardrobe space in all rooms.
Studio Sea View Suites are in both the Main House and the Fleethouse, these are spacious with views across the gardens to Chesil Beach.
If you need two bedrooms, no problem, there are super-spacious Two-Bedroom Suites formed of one double and one twin room – perfect for families; these also come in Deluxe and Deluxe with Sea View versions (more space, separate tub and shower in the bathrooms) for maximum luxury for families.
All rooms come with HD TVs with Chromecast, Nespresso coffee machines, and chic bathrooms with Bramley products complemented by robes and slippers.
- In room treatments available
Dinner at Moonfleet was exceedingly good. Catering to kids can sometimes mean that dishes are basic and lacking in imagination, but not at this hotel. They've stripped back the menu to do classics with care and serious flavour: fish and chips you'll need a forklift to manoeuvre; a burger with all the trimmings that defeated my burger fanatic. I opted for the specials and my slow-roasted lamb and aubergine starter was divine. The youngest was enchanted by the pizza tipi in the garden (summer only), serving wood-fired pizzas for lunch and dinner. Wherever you dine, the long views over Chesil Beach are heavenly.
Breakfast is included and there is a hearty spread of pastries, cereals, fruit and muffins to set you up. On top of that, you can order hot dishes (Eggs Benedict etc) from the a la carte menu.
If you can't wait until dinner enjoy a cream tea, they have elevated a traditional English treat to a super-fun family experience that is not to be missed.
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Kids' meals
- The Verandah houses all things fun for kids: arcade games, a climbing wall, a science room, a skittle alley, crazy golf and a football pitch. Fancy crabbing? Grab a kit and get a bucket and spade to go
- On the other side of the main house there is a creche, which has plenty to keep kids from 3 months to 8 years happy, and you can enjoy 90 mins of free childcare every day - just remember to pre-book (morning or afternoon sessions offered)
- While the kids are occupied, book yourself into the spa for a Bramley and ishga treatment or massage
- A pool house with three depths of swimming pools complete the fun indoors
- Outside there are lawn games, plenty of space to explore and the coastal path to walk, not to mention the highly recommended fossil walks with Andrew
- Beyond the hotel, the Jurassic Coast has plenty of options: the Sea Life Centre in Weymouth, pretty Lyme Regis, and beaches galore
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Fossil hunting
- Well being
Best Time to go
Our Top Tips
Moonfleet Manor overlooks the Fleet Lagoon behind Chesil Beach on the Jurassic Coast. Weymouth is 9km away.
Bournemouth is the closest airport (72km), or you could fly into Exeter (85km), Southampton (106km) or Bristol (112km).
If you're coming from the airport, take a taxi or hire a car. Moonfleet Manor is a 90-minute drive from Bournemouth and Exeter; 2 hours from Bristol; 3-4 hours from London; The hotel has a private car park, and there are EV charging points available.
The nearest train station is Weymouth, approximately 9km away. Services from London take 2.5 hours from Waterloo and go via Southampton and Bournemouth. Taxis are available at the station if needed to take you to the hotel.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Bournemouth Airport 72.0 km BOH
- Exeter Airport 85.0 km BRS
- Beach 0.2 km
- Shops 5.0 km
- Restaurant 3.0 km