“Serene boutique escape in a graceful Delhi suburb, with 4 rooms, home-cooked food, and a warm welcome”
With only 4 rooms, it’s always calm and uncrowded, and the intimate size allows a personal touch from owner Pauline, who wants her guesthouse to feel like a 'boutique homestay'. All the furnishings are beautifully eclectic and harmonious - a blend of French elegance and Indian heritage - and the large sitting room and eating area allow you to be as sociable or private as you like. The area is also a great place to explore, with the funky restaurant and bar-filled enclave of Hauz Khas a short drive away, and leafy Deer Park likewise. An easy introduction to Delhi.
- A feeling of safety and home-from-home that you’ll particularly appreciate after a day sightseeing
- Set in a quiet suburb of this often noisy city, yet convenient for the sights of New Delhi - the guesthouse offers guided tours
- Fantastic value
- Home-cooked food on request: the set menu alternates nightly between Indian and European food
- Helpful, charming staff
- A fair way from central Delhi, but Pauline can arrange transport there and it's close to the international airport
- Meals/drinks are quite expensive
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Guesthouse
- Breakfast + other meals on request
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
The 4 rooms have high ceilings, and are decorated in white or muted hues, with dramatic, stylish splashes of stronger colour. They’re filled with beautiful, interesting antiques, books and rugs, and iPod docks are a nice touch. Ensuite bathrooms have showers.
Room 1 (downstairs, a Standard) is the smallest, but still spacious, with a striking black wall and private entrance. Rooms 2 and 3, the Deluxe Rooms, are the pick. Room 2 has a large leafy terrace and a sofa for extra guests. Room 3 has a beautiful handstitched rug, and is best for families, with a small adjoining single room. Room 4, on the top floor, is another Standard room, but has a balcony and is lighter and airier than Room 1.
- Air conditioning
- Blackout curtains
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Ipod dock
The dining area adjoins the sitting room, with a row of close tables for 2. Meals are beautifully presented, using local crockery, printed linens and candles at night. For breakfast, the bread is notably delicious, and there's homemade jam, fresh fruit salad and eggs on order. Tea, coffee and homemade cakes are for sale all day, as are well as light lunches (sandwiches and so on).
Every night a 3-course dinner is served - let them know in advance if you want to eat in. It alternates between Indian and European cuisine, so we had a very tasty soup, followed by quiche and salad, then a deliciously solid chocolate mousse. Another night you could be treated to chicken tikka or grilled paneer with lemon rice. Dietary requirements can be catered for.
Ask Pauline for restaurant recommendations in trendy Hauz Khas if you'd prefer to eat out.
- Children's meals
- Dinner by arrangement
- Lunch by arrangement
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Take a guided tour around the sights of Delhi - the Red Fort, Gurudwara Bangla Sahib, Qutb Minar and Humayun’s Tomb - in Scarlette’s beautiful Ambassador car
- Bask by a pool, either at nearby hotel, or Delhi’s fine public pool (Scarlette has membership)
- Shop in the boutiques of nearby Hauz Khas Market, up-and-coming Shapur Jat, or Dilli Haat, the nearby regional crafts market
- Explore the verdant parkland of Deer Park, beautiful for walks
- See our Top Tips for Delhi
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Plantlife / flora
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
- Well being
Children are welcome, though you'd have to be careful of all the objets. The home-from-home atmosphere makes it easy for families, and food can be adapted to their needs and tastes.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
All rooms can fit a baby cot. The Deluxe Rooms can both fit 2 single beds (sleeping 4 guests in total). Room 3 has a double room and a single room plus space for a rollaway bed; Room 2 has a sofa, which can be made up as a bed, plus space for a rollaway bed.
Babysitting is available on request.