“A healing oasis set in 30 acres of lush organic grounds on the edge of Bangalore, created by health guru Dr Issac Mathai”
Following your in-depth personal consultation on arrival, a programme of treatments and therapy will be tailor-made to your unique constitution and condition. A team of Ayurvedic practitioners will then rejuvenate and revitalise every inch of your body, and nurture your mind and soul during your stay. You're so well looked after that the only thing you need to lift is your knife and fork, to eat the delicious, nutritious low-fat vegetarian food, fresh from the organic garden. Daily yoga and meditation take place in the vast thatched shala; group blessings will remind you you're part of a bigger movement. This is an oasis of peace and tranquility where you can totally relax, safe in the knowledge that you're in expert hands.
- After 5 years researching Indian hotels and health foods, this has to be my favourite Ayurvedic retreat - it's a truly life-changing experience
- The team of world-class healthcare professionals cosset and heal you
- You get the 3 Rs: recuperation, rebalancing and rejuvenation
- The 30 acres of beautiful grounds include a fruit orchard, lawns and flowerbeds teeming with birds, bees and butterflies
- It's just 50km from Bangalore airport (with direct flights from Europe)
- This is not a pampering spa - there's no beautifying or flaky massages, and some treatments are not for the faint-hearted
- There's a strict no alcohol, no smoking and no meat policy
- Unlike i-escape's other properties, the accommodation isn't fabulous. You're here for the world-class Ayurveda
- It can seem quiet and lonely - it's not for those who don’t enjoy their own company
Best time to go
Our top tips
Make sure you bring plenty of loose clothing, swimming gear, plenty of books and (especially if you're coming here alone) CDs to play in your room.”
- Ayurvedic Retreat
- All meals included
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Tennis Court
- Snooker Table
- Bicycles Available
There are 21 Deluxe Rooms and 4 suites, all with private gardens and open-air showers (plus indoor bathrooms). Spacious and light, each room was uniquely decorated by Mrs Mathai, but all pay homage to traditional Keralan style, with clean lines and simple designs.
Comfy kingsize beds (or a double or twin beds in the lowest category Standard Deluxe Rooms) are clad in local Khadi cotton fabrics, and there are big armchairs for daytime snoozing (the suites have a separate living area with sofas). Most have a desk too - handy for writing your journal, if you feel so inclined. French windows lead out to private verandas and gardens, filled with palm trees, birds of paradise flowers and lily ponds - habitats for many colourful birds, bees and frogs.
If you're travelling in a group, you might want to splash out on the vast Presidential Suite. With 3 bedrooms with either double, kingsize or single beds, plus a living room and large garden, you'll have plenty of room for socialising or finding you own little corner.
The ensuite bathrooms in all rooms and suites have showers and tubs, along with piles of white towels. The natural Ayurvedic toiletries provided include the best toothpaste I’ve ever tried.
- Air conditioning
- Cd player
- Coffee tea making
- Extra beds
- Internet access
- Safe box
Meals are served at set times in a covered but open-sided dining hall, or in your room if treatments have wiped you out. Breakfast is a feast of Indian fruits, freshly squeezed pomegranate, watermelon and papaya juices and homemade herbal teas plucked from the garden. If you’re not on one of the special diets, you'll also get healthy versions of a south Indian breakfast: dosas (savoury pancakes) and idlis (savoury cakes).
Lunch and dinner start with a homemade soup and salad, followed by a tasty selection of vegetarian curries, stir-fried vegetables and a dhal of the day, served on a thali. Eating healthily never tasted so good! You're served by the friendliest, most charming young men, whose warm smiles make you feel completely at home.
Every Wednesday there's a cookery demonstration, and you'll leave Soukya armed with a set of new recipes to keep you healthy long after you get home.
- Coffee tea making
- Organic produce
- Vegetarian menu
You're here for rejuvenation so your days will be taken up with treatments, yoga and relaxation. Depending on your programme, you can expect some of the following:
- Ayurvedic treatments, ranging from shirodhara (oil on the third eye) to abhyanga (an oil massage given by 2 masseurs) and the Panchakarma treatments of nasya (nasal cleansing) and vasti (enemas)
- Acupuncture, reflexology, homeopathy and hydrotherapy
- Yoga, meditation and tai chi
- Massages, including energy balancing, Swedish, Thai, Fomentation, underwater and aromatherapy massages
- Colonic irrigation, Hungarian mud wraps and herbal packs (with roses, honey or herbs)
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Ayurvedic treatments
- Cooking classes
- Plantlife / flora
- Well being
Join for free and get...
Exclusive deals at our favourite boutique hotels, B&Bs and rentals
- Award-winning booking service, with helpful consultants on hand
- Price-match at all 1,500 properties in our portfolio
- Plus, in most cases, a little extra gift when you arrive...