“An excellent tour operator for bespoke Indochina itineraries - you give the guidelines, they do the hard work”
In Cambodia, we have partnered with EXO Travel (based in Phnom Penh, Vientiane, Bangkok and Ho Chi Minh City), who have been designing and arranging top-end bespoke holidays in the region for over 15 years. You can choose which places you’d like to visit and roughly how many days in each; they'll advise you where to stay and how to travel between them, book tour guides (their own staff) and hotels (based on our selection but not limited to it), and arrange payments (you just need to make one - to them). If you ask nicely, they'll even suggest a few hidden gems you might not have thought of: visiting temples on elephant back, watching a traditional Khmer ballet or taking a boat trip to see endangered freshwater dolphins.
Why we chose this partner
- They're well established, with 15 years' experience, winning the Vietnamese Tourist organisation's 'Top Tour Operator' 2 years running; they have 14 offices and a good mix of foreign and local management
- They employ their own guides and they train them well - Unesco courses, 1-day Red Cross training, excellent English - and assess their performance through feedback
- All their vehicles are air-conditioned, and their drivers are careful and punctual. Their bicycles are sturdy Trek 4500 series front-suspension mountain bikes
- They work with local communities to protect the area and foster its people: they have helped build 2 schools in Akha villages in Laos, and have brought Duke University students to work in Cambodian NGOs
- Because they guarantee your tour will cost no more than an identical product through any other channel
- They helped arrange our own labyrinthine trip to Indochina: a total of 8 guided tours, 20 ground transfers and 7 flights spread over 3 countries, not to mention numerous hotel and restaurants - and all without a hiccup (OK, sunrise at Angkor Wat was 5 minutes later than promised...)
Please be aware
- i-escape can only vouch for those properties which are featured and reviewed on our website. For other areas and accommodations, while we do trust our operator to provide the best options for your needs, you should make sure that you are happy with their suggestions before confirming
Best time to go
Our top tips
As far as accommodation goes, you can get serious bang for your buck in Cambodia, whether you want a simple but stylish city hotel, a serene riverside retreat or a luxurious beach resort.
We've reviewed several of the country's best offerings in extensive detail, so have a look at these for starters, and ask Exotissimo to include any you like in your itinerary. Otherwise, they can suggest other options to suit your budget and preferences.
We've also reviewed the food at each hotel, to tempt you further. Cambodian flavours are all about contrast: sweet and bitter, salty and sour. You'll find zingy salads, refreshing noodle broths, thick curries and wood-fired meats and fish, with flavours of lemongrass, pepper, ginger and pickled cucumber.
Things we loved...
- Sunrise at Angkor Wat
- Riding an elephant to Bayon Temple
- Phomh Penh's royal splendours and sobering genocide sights
- Relaxing on the beach at Sinhoukville
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Hot air ballooning
- Museums / galleries
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
- Traditional cultures
For tours, 1 or 2 children under 12 sharing their parents' room will be charged 50% of the tour price. For flights, children are charged as per airline policies. Infants under 2 are exempt from most charges. Children occupying their own rooms will be charged as adults.
EXO Travel are happy to prepare trips for families and have some activities especially designed with young ones in mind e.g. treasure hunts by cyclo, children's cooking lessons, or even a family karaoke session. The Angkor Family Explorer includes cycling tours around the iconic temples of Angkor, jaunts through the floating villages of Tonle Sap by kayak, cultural performances and market visits. Under 12's normally cost about half the adult price.
Family friendly accommodation: