“A stylish beachside retreat near Galle, with a secluded pool and gardens - perfect for honeymooners or a family of 4-6”
But seclusion is not the only trump card: you also get bags of style. The inside-outside living space has polished stone floors, arty bits of driftwood, vivid Sri Lankan artwork and handmade sofas. The spacious veranda sports bright-blue-cushioned wicker easy chairs, while the garden features a funky L-shaped stone bench for a change of reading scene. Relax here and let the team take care of you. There's a cook to discuss your daily meal requirements, a steward to clean the pool and gardens, a housekeeper, and a night watchman who clocks in at sundown to fend off the over-friendly monkeys.
With restaurants and bars lying just a short walk along the beach and the UNESCO-listed delights of Galle Fort only a 10-minute tuk-tuk ride away, this really does have all you need for a blissful week's break in Sri Lanka.
- It's rare to find such a gorgeous villa that accommodates couples as well as families of up to 6
- There's plenty of space, both inside and out, for everyone to read or play in peace
- The cook can prepare an array of mouthwatering dishes using ingredients freshly sourced from local markets at cost price
- This is an ideal alternative to staying in Galle: close to the town, yet you're blissfully secluded on a peaceful stretch of sand cooled by a sea breeze (a godsend in the heat)
- A short walk from the property brings you to beautiful Wijaya beach, with reef-protected swimming and a restaurant/bar that's perfect for a refreshing drink at sunset
- The sea just outside the house has dangerous currents and is not recommended for swimming
- The children's bedroom is small and has no direct access to a bathroom
- There can be mosquitoes at sunset, but the sea breeze often helps to keep them at bay
- The house is located on busy Galle Road and you might hear the odd honking horn in the distance (but the crashing waves mask the noise pretty well)
- There's a minimum stay of 3-7 nights, depending on the season
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Beach Villa
- All meals by arrangement
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Private beach
The master bedroom occupies most of the upper floor, with 5 sets of French windows opening onto a shaded wraparound veranda with wicker recliners. Inside it's simple, bright and airy, with white walls, polished concrete floors and high sloping beams. There's a kingsize four-poster, ceiling fans, a portable A/C unit, 2 comfy sofas and a couple of leather pouffes. The ensuite bathroom has brass basins and a deep corner tub with an overhead rain shower set into the concrete-screed floor.
The small children's bedroom is air-conditioned and has a double mattress. It's best for young children (up to 10), as there is no family bathroom - they'll need to use the ensuite next door or the ensuite downstairs.
Downstairs is the additional guest suite, with an ensuite bathroom, air conditioning and a private terrace. There's also a delightful open-plan living space, with a bar, daybeds for indoor lounging, groovy artwork, an iPod dock, and wide French windows leading to the covered dining veranda, which overlooks the pool and garden. The dining table can seat up to 8, but you might prefer to eat al fresco on the veranda or in the garden, where a table can be laid out for you with candles to light your dinner.
- Air conditioning
- CD player
- Cots Available
- Full kitchen
- Internet access
- Ipod dock
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
- Washing machine
The cook can prepare whatever meals you require, from breakfast (choose from English and Continental spreads or try the Sri Lankan option, with egg hoppers, sambol and curd) to a range of lunches and dinners. He is open to new ideas and recipes, but we highly recommend his specialties - you will receive a list of sample dishes before arrival. Either way, it's very reasonable: you just pay the cost of transport and of the ingredients.
Meals are truly delicious - some of the best food we had on our trip. Think curried crab, grilled tuna, avocado salads with spicy dressing or watalappam - a coconut custard dessert.
Alternatively take a short walk along the beach to Wijaya Beach Café for seafood, pizzas and drinks, or grab a tuk-tuk into Galle for more choice. Opt for an atmospheric dining experience in one of Galle Fort's amazing new restaurants; The Beach Hut has a list of recommendations.
- Chef on request
- Children's meals
- Dinner by arrangement
- Full kitchen
- In house cook
- Lunch by arrangement
- Restaurants nearby
- Shopping service
- Visit the historic town of Galle, a 10-minute tuk-tuk ride away, with its famous Dutch fort and international cricket pitch
- Take afternoon tea at the colonial Galle Fort Hotel and browse the town's surprisingly fancy shops
- Swim in the coral bay at Wijaya Beach, with its reef-protected shallows (perfect for kids), then walk up to the nearby temple to watch the sunset
- Snorkelling, scuba diving and surfing are all on offer (with guides if needed) on nearby Unawatuna beach. There are also several wrecks 20 minutes away which more experienced divers can explore
- Jump in a tuk-tuk and head to the turtle hatchery at Talpe (a 10-minute ride), where you can watch hatchlings take their first steps towards the ocean
- Stay in and chill out: by the pool, on the beach or in the palm-shaded garden
- Yoga and massages can be arranged if you're in need of further relaxation
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Scuba diving
- Shopping / markets
- Traditional cultures
Children are welcome and the small double bedroom is ideal for 1 or 2 kids up to the age of 16. Babysitting can be arranged on request and cots and high chairs are available free of charge. You can use the washing machine and kitchen as much as you want, and the housekeeper often helps out.
Babies (0-1 years), Toddlers (1-4 years), Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
Babysitting is available by arrangement.
Baby cots are available on request.
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
The staff will tailor meals for children and high chairs are available on request.
Families Should Know:
The sea immediately in front of the The Beach Hut is not recommended for swimming, but a walk along the beach brings you to the idyllic reef protected beach of Wijaya. Seas can be quite rough from February to October, so keep an eye on any young children when on the beach and near the pool.
The Beach Hut is near Unawatuna, 10km from Galle, on the south west coast of Sri Lanka. It's about 2 hours from Colombo by road; more by train.
Colombo Bandaranaike (165km) is the closest international airport.
From the Airport
The owners can organise a car to collect you from Colombo airport, so enquire when booking. If you're in no hurry you could take the slow but scenic coastal train to Galle, where staff will meet you.
Alternatively, you could consider taking a Sri Lankan Airlines air taxi sevice to Koggala Lake, where you can get a taxi to the house.
Many bars and restaurants are just a short walk away from the house. It's easy to pick up tuk-tuks for longer journeys. and staff can arrange a car with a driver if needed.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
- Colombo Bandaranaike International 165.0 km CMB
- Beach 0.1 km
- Shops 1.0 km
- Restaurant 0.5 km