“Stunning rainforest resort with spa, nature centre, flawless rooms and villas on a private beach with views across to Thailand”
But this is no jungle camp; it's Malaysia's flagship hotel, on the unspoilt NW coast of favourite holiday island, Langkawi. On arrival we were greeted with jasmine-scented towels and fragrant tea in the airy Lobby Lounge, where the views stretch over the canopy to Thailand. Impeccably styled rooms, suites and villas come with daybeds and luxurious bathrooms as well as private terraces and balconies. There's a wonderfully soothing spa in the jungle, a state-of-the-art nature centre, open-sided holistic pavilion, and 2 pools - one for couples high up by the main building, and the other for families down by the beach. There are also 4 superb eateries and 2 bars on site, providing everything from fine dining to informal beach drinks. Don't miss the fascinating guided nature walks led by knowledgeable local naturalists; check out the 18-hole golf course (one of Asia's most dramatic). We absolutely loved it.
- The iconic setting in virgin rainforest with a private white-sand beach for snorkelling, swimming, strolls and sailing - no motorised watersports allowed (sustainability is taken very seriously here)
- Beautifully prepared food and delicious drinks in all on-site restaurants
- The recent no-expense-spared refurbishment has delivered extremely smart yet understated design throughout, deploying impressive architecture, local natural materials and a technological upgrade
- Abundant wildlife all around, protected by a hotel-funded conservation programme, oft-sighted on the grand staircase and its enchanting butterfly walk
- Superlative friendly service
- Leaving - we were quite bereft. And could see why so many guests return time after time (book ahead!)
- Pricey, but seriously worth it!
- Steep footpaths and steps lead from the main hotel rooms down to the beach, but there are electric buggies to whisk you around
- As you're in the rainforest expect loud jungle noises, and you may come face to face with inquisitive monkeys, lizards and geckos anywhere on the estate
- Inevitably there's a bit of a gated community feel; excursions to see Langkawi are easily arranged of course
- Baby cots
- Stokke high chairs are available in the main restaurants
Some equipment may need to be requested in advance
Available by arrangement; local nannies can be hired
Children's meals are available at all of The Datai's restaurants
- Large swimming pool with shallow end
- Shaded toddler splash pool
- Guided nature walks through the forest and mangrove, new canopy walk
- Wonderful Nature Centre offering jungle-themed activities
- Organised family treks
- Kayak over to a nearby island and help clear the beach of plastic
- Find the frogs on the lily pads beside the Lobby Lounge
- Learn about traditional arts & crafts in the Atelier
- The Sky Bridge and cable cars are nearby
- Take a boat trip in the UNESCO-listed Kilim Geopark for bat caves, karst formations and mangrove wildlife
- Luxury Resort
- 121 rooms, suites and villas
- Restaurants and bar (open daily)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Creche / Kids Club
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
- Tennis Court
- Bicycles Available
121 rooms and villas are divided into 3 categories: Canopy, Rainforest and Beach. In all, expect clean, classy design with lots of wood, blissful kingsize beds, own-brand sustainable toiletries and effective air-con. Luxurious cream terrazzo bathrooms have a double-ended bath, separate rainfall shower and twin sinks as standard. Other in-room extras include beach bags, binoculars, bathrobes and sandals, coffee machines and minibars with great complimentary goodies.
In the 4-storey hotel building at the top of the resort, most rooms fall into the Deluxe or Premium Room categories, beautifully designed with hardwood floors and 2 daybeds. Canopy Suites are larger, with a separate living area with dining table and a more spacious L-shaped balcony with stupendous views.
For families or friends travelling together, the Datai Suite has its own mezzanine, with 2 double ensuite bedrooms separated by a generous living/dining area, surrounded by a gorgeous balcony looking towards Thailand.
Rainforest Villas nestle in the jungle as you approach the beach, and have a huge main bedroom, high vaulted ceilings, daybed and dining table. Double doors lead into a party-sized bathroom and dressing area, with basins and infinity mirrors on either side. Outside is a veranda with chairs. Rainforest Pool Villas also have a 10m swimming pool and a daybed on their raised terraces.
International superstars might prefer the stunning glass-walled, butler-serviced 1- or 2-bedroom Beach Villas, which open directly onto the beach - or the newest addition, the signature 5-villa 2-pool Datai Estate which comes with a chef. All are hidden in their own gated gardens and have vast bathrooms.
- Air conditioning
- Coffee / tea making
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Pre-loaded iPod and Bose docking stations
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
- Seasonal fresh fruit bowl
Breakfast is in The Dining Room overlooking the adults pool. Expect a beautifully displayed buffet of every breakfast variant, from Asian noodles to smoked fish to pancakes and eggs cooked to order, detox juices, roti channai, plates of fresh pomelo and mango, patisseries by the bucket load, sausages, cold cuts and cheeses. Come sundown, the restaurant transforms into an adults-only (12+) French fine dining venue.
In the main building above, with panoramic views over the jungle to Thailand beyond, the breeze-cooled Lobby Lounge offers tapas, fantastic cocktails and full afternoon tea.
On stilts among the tree canopy below, the signature Thai restaurant, The Pavilion, serves eye-wateringly authentic dishes. The chef can cook your catch after a successful day’s fishing on request. Even our simple duck red curry was a knock-out.
The jungle-immersed kampung-styled Gulai House serves delicious Malaysian food - we loved our fish presented inside a bamboo stick. Less formal is The Beach Club, where you can tuck into pizzas, nasi goreng and fresh seafood. Nearby is The Beach Bar, the perfect spot for daytime snacks and cocktails and canapés at sunset.
If you're out for the day, ask for a picnic basket. Staff can also magic up a candlelit dinner for 2 on the beach with petals strewn around.
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- Nature lovers will be in paradise with over 200 bird species to spot (you get a handy guide in your room), including hornbills, sunbirds and sea eagles, plus exotic butterflies, mammals and (benign) reptiles. The dedicated state-of-the-art Nature Centre by the beach has a team of resident naturalists who lead guided nature walks. Expect colugos, macaques, monitor lizards, giant squirrels, kingfishers and monkeys; hope for flying squirrels and wild boar; listen for cicadas and frogs. Sunset prowlers include slow loris, dusky leaf and spider monkeys
- There are hiking trails for independent explorers. The Rimba Trail goes through mangrove and jungle up to a canopy suspension bridge
- The bay is fabulous for swimming and watersports; book a diving lesson, try windsurfing and paddle-boarding, kayaking and snorkelling
- Sail Hobie Cats across the bay or join a day cruise (complete with butler) aboard the Naga Pelangi, the traditional 22m Malay junk schooner
- Chill in The Spa beside the butterfly walk which offers traditional Malaysian ‘Ramuan’ healing rituals and couples' treatments; enjoy yoga and Pilates classes in the Holistic Pavilion
- Take a mangrove cruise along the UNESCO-listed Kilim river; highlights include a bat-cave, million-year-old karst formations and Brahminy kites
- Grab a mountain bike or rent a car or take a driver to explore Langkawi, the curved Sky Bridge and cable car are nearby
- Play tennis on one of 2 tennis courts
- The beautifully landscaped 18-hole championship golf course, The Els Club, offers lessons
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Cooking classes
- Mountain biking
- Plantlife / flora
- Private guided tours
- Scuba diving
- Stand-up paddle boarding
- Well being
Best Time to go
Our Top Tips
The Datai is on the northwest tip of Langkawi, which is the main island of the Langkawi archipelago (99 islands lying off the northwestern coast of Peninsular Malaysia), close to the Thai border.
There are daily domestic flights to Langkawi from Kuala Lumpur and from Penang. Flights from Europe usually go via Singapore or Kuala Lumpur. Click on the links below for a list of airlines.
From the Airport
The hotel will send a car or limousine transfer for the quiet 40-minute drive from Langkawi airport.
Detailed directions will be sent to you after booking through i-escape.
More on getting to Malaysia and getting around.
- Langkawi 30.0 km LGK
- Beach 0.1 km
- Shops 10.0 km
- Restaurant 0.5 km