Get inspired at this funky art hotel near Jaipur, and kick back with its imaginative young Rajput owners”
Opening after a three-year build, their loving design and quirky laid-back spirit is clearly felt in the four rag-rolled, art-appointed rooms, the beautiful pool area and the enormous artists' studio and workshop on the ground floor. If you're a cultured young-at-heart adventurer looking to relax, learn, create and be impressed by all things Indian-designed, you'll love it here.
- The relaxed atmosphere and inspiring enthusiasm of your charming hosts who live on-site, paired with the spacious, eclectic yet luxurious rooms and suites
- Yoga classes are on offer, as are massage sessions
- The proximity to Jaipur, meaning you can spend a day visiting the Forts and bazaars, but return to the tranquil countryside for the evening
- Delicious food - mostly homegrown and homemade - is prepared in an open kitchen (ideal for satisfying curiosity)
- Some of the decor, while artistic and inventive, looks a little slap-dash, and cleaning could be a little more squeaky
- The poolside loungers are horizontal woven palettes, so not great for reading on
- It's constantly evolving, so likely there'll always be some areas looking unfinished
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Art Hotel
- 4 rooms
- Breakfast included
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Pool Table
- Communal TV
- Small golf course
There are four rooms on offer, two facing the pool, and two opening onto the garden. Ensuite bathrooms have showers, plus feature basins and complimentary toiletries.
The Farm has been renovated since our visit, and the two bohemian poolside rooms (named Chakra and Shy) are now bathed in earthy greens, with walls adorned with wonderfully quirky artistic interpretations of Hindu deities. The garden-facing rooms have wide doors opening out to manicured lawns lined with hedges. Glass Burst has a modern autumnal feel, with tree mural and shaggy rug resembling auburn leaves (plus a newspaper cutting-style armchair). The other, called Pink City, is more classic in style, and has more than a dozen framed photos of decorated Indian royals hanging above the bed.
- Air conditioning
- Extra beds
- Family friendly
- Internet access
The simple, home-style vegetarian menu is delicious, with food grown seasonally from a vegetable patch, and cooked by Chanda, who's from a local village and feeds the guests, owners and their dogs from an open kitchen.
Meals are eaten communally under the stars (and you'll need to give Ritu and Surya notice if you plan to eat lunch and dinner here). This can carry on 'til the small hours, punctuated by midnight swims. Breakfast is included in the rates each morning. The delicate wrought-iron chairs and tables by the pool make a lovely breakfast and dinner setting.
If you want a change of scene, there are lots of good eating options in Jaipur (25 mins' away; the owners can arrange transport).
- Children's meals
- Family friendly
- Organic produce
- Vegetarian menu
- Enjoy the lovely swimming pool, artworks and reclaimed Indian seating up on the bright, suntrap terrace
- Savour staying in an evolving artistic space. Ritu and Surya create under the name 'Wolf' and travel the length and breadth of India with their artworks. The downstairs studio and workshop space might just provide that spark of inspiration for your own creativity
- Have a massage in the private massage room or by the pool. Choose from a full body, head and shoulders, or foot. Yoga classes are also available
- Find inspiration in the cultural heritage and Indian art tomes - particularly photos by Raghu Rai, India's own Cartier-Bresson
- Hike or hire an ATV (All Terrain Vehicle) and get off the beaten track, in the forested 'green belt' surrounded with fields behind The Farm
- Or enjoy the landscape at a more leisurely pace on horseback; there are reputable stables 10km away
- And check out the excellent array of birdlife: from partridge, jay and dove to stork, hoopoe and parrot
Jaipur and further afield...
- Explore the multiple monuments, palaces, museums and bustling bazaars of Jaipur's 'pink city', stopping for a melt-in-your-mouth kulfi ice cream
- Go shopping at classy Indian designer shops AKFD, Rasa and Dune, or browse antiques and curios at Royal Treasure
- Visit the two forts - magnificent, mirrored Amer and imposing, huge-cannoned Jaigarh - just under an hour's drive away (daily car hire can be arranged)
- See the ruined palace and gateways, and delicately carved Jain temples, at Sanganer; you can also watch handmade paper and block prints being made there
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Art classes
- Cooking classes
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Hot air ballooning
- Museums / galleries
- Pool table
- Shopping / markets
Children are very welcome and will enjoy staying at this glamorous retreat run by two parents. There is a big stock of games, puzzles, toys and children's DVDs to keep them entertained.
Extra beds are available if needed but not cots; if your toddler can sleep in a normal bed, they will love it here.
Toddlers (1-4 years), Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
Families would be comfortable in either a suite for more privacy or the rooms adjacent to the lawns, pool and deck. All the rooms are the same size and can fit an extra bed.
- Bottle warming
- Pushchair to borrow
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids menus are available, prior notice required. They can serve an early tea for children and parents of young children have access to a blender and microwave if needed. Food is available all day long. Meals are cheaper for children aged 2-11
Kids Activities on site:
- Swimming pool with shallow end
- Outdoor playground
- Children's DVDs
- Lots of toys, games, books, puzzles etc to share
- Large lawn for playing on
- Paints, crayons, colouring books
Kids Activities nearby:
- Waterpark (15 minutes)
- Horse riding
- Jaipur's forts
- Jeep rides around the village
Families Should Know:
The swimming pool is unfenced and there are some steps and unprotected drops near it. There are also no bathtubs.
- Airport: 30 minutes
- Hospital: 20 minutes
- Shops: 30 minutes
The Farm is on the outskirts of a small village called Bud ke Balaji, 30 minutes' drive from Jaipur (40 minutes from the airport), in Rajasthan.
Jaipur Sanganer (22km away) is the closest airport and is served by most domestic airlines. Delhi Indira Gandhi (245km away) is the nearest international airport. Click on the links below for a list of airlines serving these airports.
From the Airport
The Farm can book a taxi for you, starting at INR 1250.
Jaipur Junction Railway Station is well connected to lots of other major Indian cities. It takes 4.5-6 hours to get there from Delhi or Jodhpur by rail, depending on whether or not your train is one of the faster Express ones. At 25km from The Farm, it's a 40-45-minute drive. Again, The Farm can arrange a transfer.
People do self-drive to The Farm, especially those coming from Delhi.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com
More on getting to India North and getting around
- Jaipur Sanganer 20.0 km JAI
- Delhi Indira Gandhi 245.0 km DEL
- Beach 999.0 km
- Shops 15.0 km
- Restaurant 15.0 km