A gloriously restored villa with enchanting gardens, on the edge of the peaceful town of Alaior (sleeps 4-8)”
The villa is an idyllic family-and-friends retreat. Our children played amongst the orchard trees while we sipped wine on the patios; everyone cooling off in the lovely rectangular pool, a transformed water tank. And who doesn’t love sharing home-cooked meals al fresco? It’s a short walk to the medieval streets of Alaior and a quick drive to the sandy beaches of Son Bou. But we found this enclave so enticing, we were just as happy to soak up long lazy days and starry evenings right here in peaceful seclusion.
- A great option for a family (using 2-3 bedrooms) or 2 families travelling together (using all 4, a mix of doubles and twins)
- We were enchanted by the magical walled gardens filled with wildflowers, fruit trees and friendly tortoises
- The house is immaculate, beautifully light and airy
- A great kitchen for self-catering plus BBQs
- Plenty of terrace space for lounging and alfresco dining
- The nearest restaurant and supermarkets are a 10-minute walk away
- You'll need a car to reach the beach (15 minutes); but this central spot is well placed for exploring all corners of the island
- There's a TV, DVD and stereo in the living room, but don't expect gadgets galore
- No aircon in the bedrooms, just ceiling fans
Best time to go
Our top tips
There's no need to bring equipment with you; a games basket is supplied, with volleyball, badminton, beach bats, boules, frisbee and fishing nets.”
- Boutique Villa
- Villa for 6-8
- Self-catering (restaurants nearby)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Weekly clean
There are 2 double and 2 twin bedrooms in the villa - doubles are ensuite, and the twins share a large bathroom. All are clean and simple, with white bedding, wood-beamed ceilings and scatter rugs on tiled floors. The twins are on the middle floor with the smaller double, which has a second door to a small patio. For the couple who likes a bit of privacy, the room at the top - the big, A-frame double - has its own entrance.
Open-plan eating and living areas are on the ground floor. In the lounge, 2 smart sofas face a double-fronted fireplace, shared with the kitchen. Modern, with long, sleek countertops, the kitchen has exposed-brick walls and a rustic dining table for 10. Both rooms have arched French doors onto a stone courtyard with wicker furniture. From here, steps lead up to a terrace with a benched table set under a straw pergola - perfect for a lazy outdoor lunch.
- Beach towels
- DVD player
- Ipod dock
- Mosquito net
- Swimming pool
- Tumble dryer
- Washing machine
The villa is self-catering but the smartly equipped kitchen will delight the cooks in your crew. (A private chef can be hired if they insist they’re on holiday, too). The town of Alaior is close enough for early birds to stroll in and pick up fresh-baked bread for breakfast. Well-stocked supermarkets are on the edge of town.
Most restaurants in Alaior will have a menu del dia for lunch (a fixed price for 2 or 3 courses). Check out lovely Es Festuc, which serves excellent, well-priced, 3-course lunches and dinners, with a takeaway option, and is only 7 minutes' walk away. After the midday meal, the town moves into siesta mode, but perks up in late afternoon - a good time to grab a cold beer at one of the cafés on lively Placa Constitució.
For a casual supper, tapas bars abound in town, or for more upscale fare, drive 15-20 minutes to restaurants in Son Bou or Mahon. Return to Alaior for ice cream at one of the artisan parlours around pretty Placa del Ramal.
- Chef on request
- Coffee maker
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Restaurants nearby
- Shopping service
- Welcome hamper
- Head to the beach – a short drive to the south are the white sands of Son Bou and Binigaus; the northern beaches of Algairens, Pilar and Pregonda are about 45 minutes away
- Hit the water – snorkelling, diving, paddle-boarding, windsurfing and kayaking rentals are available, or set sail from Fornells harbour on a ‘llaut’, a traditional Balearic boat
- Take a hike – the ancient bridleway Cami de Cavalls encircles Menorca and walking its paths is a wonderful way to explore the island’s terrain and its intriguing Bronze Age stone monuments
- Tour a winery - Binifadet has a terrace for tastings, Binitord is family-owned and the Hort Sant Patrici also produces award-winning cheese
- Stroll into town – Alaior is a charming medieval town with shops and cafés dotted around winding streets and cobblestone squares
- Chill out – the lovely pool and tranquil gardens are alluring enough for days of just taking dips and watching butterflies
Children are welcome at the villa - it works well for either 1 or 2 families, with 2 twin and 2 double rooms, plus a cot or extra bed by prior arrangement. High chairs, junior chairs and child-size cutlery can be supplied, and there's a small pool (unheated) with a code-locked gate. The villa's garden is a natural playground, our little ones loved exploring and searching for roaming wild tortoise. Teens may find the location rather quiet, but there are activities including horse riding and watersports nearby.
Babies (0-1 years), Toddlers (1-4 years), Children (4-12 years)
Kids Activities on site:
- Swimming pool (unheated)
Families Should Know:
There are no stair gates. The swimming pool has a code-locked gate.
- Shop: 10 mins' walk (Alaior)
- Chemist (multi-lingual): 10 mins' walk (Alaior)
- Beach: 15 mins' drive
The house is on the edge of Alaior, a small town in central Menorca. It's a 10-minute walk to its shops, restaurant and bars, and a 15-minute drive to the nearest sandy beach, Son Bou.
Mahon (15 mins by car) is Menorca's only airport, well served from UK and other European countries. We'd recommend hiring a car to explore the island and do your shopping. There's secure parking for 2 cars at the villa, with good night lighting and more on-road spaces outside.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Mahon 12.0 km MAH
- Beach 9.0 km
- Shops 0.6 km
- Restaurant 0.6 km