A dramatic transformation of an old riverside boozer into a stylish boutique hotel, with great food and prices”
In the heart of town, Timbrell's Yard is a stylish, friendly and great-value heritage-chic retreat. There's a cosy bar and a great double-height restaurant serving excellent gastro-pub fare. Upstairs, the style in the bedrooms is all its own. Nordic in influence, with elegant greys, signature tiling, fishing lamps and bare wood, warmed by fur cushions and statement prints on the walls.
- Truly relaxing thanks to super-soft beds and the tranquil riverside location; ideal for a restorative break
- A welcoming restaurant and bar with delicious food by Tom Blake (formerly at River Cottage)
- No need for a car; you're a 2-min walk from the station with regular trains to Bath for day trips (10 mins)
- Great value for money, particularly the smaller rooms
- Friendly staff, who love the area
- Limited mobile signal (a High for us)
- Hairdryers are on request from reception
- The river view from the dining terrace is obstructed by the car park, but it's still a lovely peaceful spot
- The town is frequently snarled up with traffic
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 17 rooms
- Restaurant and bar (open daily)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
The 17 rooms are individually and elegantly styled, with Nordic influence: stripped-back wood, crisp white linens and various shades of grey. Furnishings are an eclectic mix of iron-wrought tables, wicker chairs, low-hanging fishing lamps and up-styled dressing tables and desks. Our Large Double had a French basket bed; others have leather chairs, cowhide, perhaps a towel ladder. Fur cushions, witty art and drinks coasters add colour.
All rooms are lovely, even the Small Doubles, which are rather dark but a great price if you just want to lay your head for the night. The river-side Mezzanine Doubles are pared-back with big picture windows; the 3 split-level River Walk Rooms are cosy and stylish, with bolder artwork and a little step down from the door to the sleep area. At the back, Standard Doubles are snazzy with sleek white shutters and statement wallpaper, but no view.
Bathrooms are a delight, with signature tiling, big powerful showers and a handful of delicious Bramley toiletries. Some Large Doubles have a free-standing tub and towelling robes, too, so are worth the splurge if you like a wallow.
- Central heating
- Extra beds
- Family friendly
- Ipod dock
- Satellite TV
The open kitchen is headed up by Tom Blake, formerly of River Cottage, so bring an appetite. We sat in the cool wooden dining room; in summer you can dine on the terrace. Flavours are huge, and everything we ate was perfectly cooked, from the delicious Brixham crab tart and rocket starter (with celeriac remoulade), to the wild mushroom and spinach macaroni with truffle oil, chicory and chives. And puddings are amazing - we loved the salted caramel ice cream, and pannacotta with ginger biscuits.
Breakfast is an indulgent affair: pastries, homemade granola with vanilla-bean yoghurt and poached rhubarb, plus cooked options are available. We went for broke smoked salmon, scrambled eggs and thick buttered brown toast. Delicious.
Bradford on Avon has lots of independent eateries for a change of scene. For delicious homemade cake and a perfect brew, we loved the award-winning Bridge Tea Rooms. Set in a 16th-century Blacksmith's cottage, it makes for an atmospheric pitstop.
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Family friendly
- Organic produce
- Restaurants nearby
- Vegetarian menu
- Wander around Bradford on Avon's cobbled streets, admiring beautiful old houses, the 13th-century main bridge and exploring the independent boutiques. There's a farmers' market every third Thursday
- Stroll along the river path, past ancient bridges and weeping willows, up to the pretty canal lock. En route stop at the amazing 14th-century Tithe Barn (plus a few artisan shops)
- You're perfectly placed for a day trip to Bath, just 10 minutes away by train. A world Heritage site, it has stunning Georgian architecture, ancient Roman Baths and a Thermae spa. Great fashion shopping, too
- Stourhead's stunning National Trust gardens are an easy drive away, as is the pretty market town of Frome
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
- Well being
Children of all ages are welcome but there are no specific facilities for kids. The restaurant and bar are relaxed and family-friendly, plus you're within easy reach of Longleat and Bristol for family days out.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
The Mezzanine Doubles have a living area on the lower floor and a bedroom up top, so you could put a child's bed and a baby cot on the lower floor. The Large Doubles have lots of space, with a double bed, plus space for a rollaway bed and baby cot. Two have a bathtub, which is useful for younger kids.
Baby cots are available to borrow and there are high chairs in the restaurant.
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids' meals plus child-sized portions of most main meals on request
For more family-friendly places, see our Kids Collection
Timbrell's Yard is in the heart of the pretty town of Bradford On Avon, in Wiltshire.
Bristol is the closest airport (47km / 45-minute drive) or you're 90 minutes from London Heathrow (153km / 2-hour drive).
Driving is convenient for exploring the surrounding area, but certainly not essential.There are 2 public car parks next to the hotel (daily charge); see our car hire recommendations.
The hotel is 2-minute walk from Bradford-on-Avon train station, which has direct links to Bath (10 minutes), Bristol (30 minutes) and London (2 hours).
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to the UK and getting around
- Bristol 47.0 km BRS
- Southampton 96.0 km SOU
- Beach 60.0 km
- Shops 0.3 km
- Restaurant 0.3 km