“A collection of sybaritic eco beach houses and suites (sleeping 2-8) with big-decked balconies and roof terraces, overlooking Tulum's white sands”
The villas combine eco features with 21st-century luxury. Rainwater is harvested for the garden, electricity is generated by solar panels and a wind turbine and the furnishings and artwork are local. As for the luxuries, you’ll find cotton sheets with a 600-thread count, a sound system with an iPod dock and cool kitchen appliances. Rooms in all properties are filled with light, there's heaps of space (cosy nooks too) and most bedrooms get a jungle-and-ocean view. The whole place exudes rusticity and charm, from the stripy Mexican rugs and hammocks to the feathery thatch that fringes the windows. You're in close but unobtrusive proximity to the neighbours and beach cafés, small stores and a hotel spa are a walk away.
- This is a prime spot on a perfect beach lapped by invitingly warm sea, families and couples alike will be in heaven
- The rustically stylish houses are made of natural materials in harmony with their setting
- There are amazing views from all living areas and rooms
- You’re within strolling distance of beachside restaurants, shops and a beauty spa
- An array of services is available, from a daily cleaning service (no charge) to meals on request
- The houses are close to each other and Behla and Behla Kaana share a plot, which can limit privacy
- As the houses are on a public beach you are reminded not to leave valuables in sight, for peace of mind there is a night-watch man who keeps an eye on the houses
- Like many resorts in this area, it's a windy spot but this keeps the turbines turning
- The local shops stock the basics only, so you may need to travel further for food supplies, and the suites lack kitchens
- There’s no pool, but the ocean more than makes up for it
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Beach Villas
- 4 villas + 2 suites
- Meals by arrangement
- All ages welcome
- Closed: 26 Apr 2017 - 31 Jan 2019
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Bicycles Available
- Private yoga classes
Out of the 4 villas and 2 suites, Behla (4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms) takes prime position and has the lion’s share of the view. It’s the biggest, with large communal areas and a slightly more luxurious feel. The master room has a kingsize bed, windows on 3 sides giving views of the beach and the sea, an indoor sitting area and doors opening onto a wide private deck with a cushioned snug. The simple but perfect bathroom has a hand-cast concrete bathtub where you can gaze out to the ocean as you soak. Everything feels fresh, breezy and in perfect harmony with the jungle-beach setting. The other 2 bedrooms lie at the other end of the house. One is oceanfront with a private balcony, and the other has windows on 3 sides with ocean and jungle views. These rooms each have private shower rooms, and there's a third bathroom downstairs with an outdoor shower.
Although a bit smaller, Behla Kaana (3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms) has quite a large master bedroom, with curved windows overlooking the ocean, a kingsize bed and a sitting area. This room has a private terrace with a beach bed and an open bathroom with a shower, a bathtub and a small sink area. The further 2 bedrooms are just as spectacular with large windows facing the jungle and ocean. The thatch frames the view delightfully and gives shade from the sun.
We’ve yet to see the following houses and suites, but feedback is good. Both Behla Palapita and Behla Kiin (2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms), like the other houses, are airy and rustic in styling with an open-plan sitting and dining area, a kitchen, and a large decked terrace with loungers and bright feature walls. Couples should opt for one of the Ocean-front Suites. One - Behla Sun - is on the first floor and has a rooftop terrace, while the other - Behla Sand - is a ground-floor suite with a large patio and garden. Both have an outdoor tub and plenty of living space, though they do lack kitchens. All have gorgeous views over the ocean. Extra beds for children can be added to the Suites only if they are booked together.
- Cd player
- Coffee tea making
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Ipod dock
- Mosquito net
- Safe box
The catering options are very flexible; a cook can be requested for all meals or perhaps just for a special occasion, or you can prepare your own food (unless staying in a suite). If you choose the former option, we’d recommend sampling Mexican specialities such as fresh ceviche, shrimp chiplote and black bean salad.
Behla has a large, open-plan kitchen and dining area with a wall of glass doors opening onto the terrace and beach. The raised breakfast bar sits at one end, with a dining table at the other and an L-shaped Moroccan-style sitting area with a low wooden table in the middle. Behind the house is a shady thatched area with a barbecue, which serves as a convivial outdoor kitchen.
The kitchen in Behla Kaana lies to one side of the airy atrium, with a white-washed dining area taking up the other side. The windows stretch all the way to the thatched roof, creating a light and open space. Behla Palapita and Behla Kiin have similar facilities, with a dining area that can seat up to 8 people around a circular table with cushioned benches and a separate table on the covered deck outside.
The kitchens in all houses have hobs, blenders, fridge-freezers and plenty of cooking utensils, but note none have an oven. Note that the Behla Suites lack kitchens.
Breakfast is not included in the rental price but can be arranged on request. A typical spread would include tea, coffee, fresh-squeezed juice, fruit and fresh tortillas, as well as delicious hot dish such as chilaquiles (crisp tortilla triangles with salsa and eggs), banana pancakes, eggs mexicana or quesadillas with cheese and avocado.
If you feel like eating out, we recommend El Bistro for its lovely setting on the beach or Papaya Playa for its great ambience and daily happy hour. If you want to prepare your own meals there are a couple of convenience stores nearby for the basics and food stocks can be requested in advance (note that purified bottled water is included in the price). There is a large market 10 minutes' drive away.
- Chef on request
- Children meals
- Coffee tea making
- Dinner by arrangement
- Lunch by arrangement
- Meal delivery service
- Restaurants nearby
- Make the most of the beach by kayaking, boogie boarding or surfing
- Head to the Mayan ruins at Tulum (10 minutes to the north). Their spectacular setting overlooks the Caribbean, although it’s worth arriving early to avoid the crowds
- You can also explore the ruins on a horse riding trip
- Visit the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve and World Heritage Site (10 minutes to the south), where you can drift down an ancient Mayan canal (ask for the ‘Float Tour’) and discover acres of protected tropical forests, sand dunes, mangroves and savannahs
- Snorkel or dive in the many freshwater limestone pools dotted along the coast, or sign up for the 'cavern tour' arranged by a local dive shop (certified open water divers only)
- Take a day trip to Chichen Itza, one of the largest archaeological sites on the peninsula
- Enjoy classes at the local yoga hangout, Inspirit, which lies minutes from the villas; or learn Spanish at El Camino
- Walk to the local spa to try out the traditional Mayan clay treatments
- Book a belly-dancing lesson in your living room or relax with a massage in your room (the on-call house therapist can provide reflexology and honey and sand scrubs)
- Chill out on the rooftop decks - secluded and simply furnished with cushions, they provide comfortable spots for watching the sunsets and stars
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Language courses
- Plantlife / flora
- Scuba diving
- Scuba diving courses
- Swimming with dolphins
- Traditional cultures
- Well being
- Zip line
Children are very welcome. Young ones will love the warm gentle sea and sands, while older children can enjoy the kite surfing and boogie boarding. There are lovely grounds for kids to explore. Cots and extra beds are free. Cleaning can be booked in advance to make your stay that bit more enjoyable.
Family friendly accommodation:
Take your pick: Behla has 4 double bedrooms, Behla Kaana has 3 double bedrooms, Behla Palapita and Behla Kiin have 2 double bedrooms plus a sofabed. Note that all beds are kingsize or queensize. All houses have kitchenettes; Behla Kaana is the only one to have a stove. An extra single bed is available if required. Extra beds for children can be added to the Ocean-front Suites only if they are booked together; these lack kitchenettes.
Babysitting is available by arrangement, see Rates.
- Cots and travel cots
- High chairs
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Houses have kitchens with hobs, blenders and fridges. You can book meals on request and the chef is happy to make special dishes for children and kids meals are half-price - think banana pancakes, chicken dishes with home-made chips - see Rates. It's a short walk to beachside restaurants serving child-friendly food all day long (pizza, tacos etc) and a taxi ride to the nearest supermarket. The closest shop sells basics only.
Kids Activities on site:
- Beach toys and boogie boards
- The beach is at your doorstep
- There are hammocks and a swing in the 'garden' area by the house
- 4000m2 of beachfront and gardens
Kids Activities nearby:
- Tulum ruins
- Turtles hatching eggs May-Aug
- Bike hire to explore the area
- Watersports including kayaking, snorkelling, scuba and kite boarding
- Xel-Ha, a waterpark with dolphin swims
Families Should Know:
Parents with young children need to keep a close eye on them: Behla's loft space has near-vertical steps, balconies, other staircases and roof terraces could be tricky for toddlers. Bring mosquito repellent. Note that there is a night watch guard and 2-3 groundsman staff on property daily.
- Airport: 1.5 hours
- Hospital: 45 minutes