“Bold, imaginative makeover of a 19th-century seafront mansion into a bright boutique hotel with restaurant terrace”
The groovy restaurant overlooks the waterfront of this upscale coastal town, Lisbon's summer playground, only 40 minutes west of the capital. You also get the benefit of the facilities at Riviera Grande Dame Hotel Albatroz, including its pool and a la carte restaurant. In short, a perfect spot for a break with your partner or friends.
- The restaurant terrace is the perfect place to bask in the sunshine while enjoying the best of food and drink
- An intimate vibe: only 11 beautiful rooms, all of which have some kind of sea view and a smart bathroom
- The central location - easily found, and close to all sights, bars and restaurants
- Delightful, friendly service
- Lisbon is only 40 minutes away by train, so you don't need a car
- No pool but guests can use the facilities at Hotel Albatroz, which is a 5-minute walk along the coast
- The knockout style and location puts a premium on prices
- Not set up for families, despite the beach opposite; those with children would find sister property Hotel Albatroz more conducive
- The town can get lively in the afternoons and evenings in high season, so expect some noise
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurant and bar open daily
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
The 11 snazzy bedrooms all have views (albeit sometimes only glimpses) of the sea. The 2nd-floor rooms are colour-blocked in the same vivid royal blue as the common areas below, while the 3rd-floor rooms are painted a rich bright olive green; floors have matching rugs over parquet. Both floors host Superior and Deluxe Sea View rooms, differentiated only by size and positioning within the building. Some have a tub as well as a walk-in shower in their ensuite bathroom.
The top floor is devoted to the relatively subdued Grand Deluxe Sea View room (aka the penthouse, perfect for honeymooners), which is decked in grey, has 3 terraces, a circular raised bathtub as well as a separate shower bathroom, and fabulous views across Cascais Bay and the Estoril Coast. Note, the lift only reaches the floor below so be prepared for 2 short flights of stairs.
All rooms have luxury touches such as Castelbel Porto toiletries, bathrobes and slippers, and decent mini-bars.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Ipod dock
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
The Reserva by Olivier restaurant is found on the first floor with a cobalt-blue dining room giving onto a superbly sunny terrace overlooking the promenade and beach. Here, meals often harvested from the local Atlantic waters are served from lunch until late. Lunch could include the signature royal crab salad or octopus carpaccio. In the evenings, choose shrimps ajillo, grouper in puff pastry or Wagyu rump steak, followed by petit gateau and pear sorbet.
The 4-7pm Terrace Menu has crowd pleasers from posh sandwiches to Algarve clams and oysters to marinated salmon, with creme brûlée and ice cream to follow. And make a point of trying one of the 48 (mostly Portuguese) fine wines and ports available by the glass; there are nifty pouring machines to assist! Look up: the ceiling of the bar is decorated with beautiful 19th-century Delft-ware style tiles.
Breakfast is served on the terrace in fine weather; expect a delicious smorgasbord of local delicacies, eggs cooked to order, piping hot coffee, juices, cake and pastries, fresh fruit and yoghurt.
- Children's meals
- Restaurants nearby
- Vegetarian menu
- Explore Cascais, which has a maritime museum, cute cobbled streets with boutiques, cafes and bars, tons of restaurants, a couple of parks and art galleries
- Laze on the beach opposite, or take your pick from others in town (including golden Praia de Conceição) or head up the Atlantic coast for some real gems
- The town's food market is every Wednesday and Saturday, and there's an antiques market, too
- Learn to paddleboard in the Bay, or go further afield for kitesurfing and parasailing
- Take a day trip to Lisbon or Sintra
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Kite surfing
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
Children are welcome and babysitting is available on request, but the hotel has a more grown-up vibe. Families can use the facilities at nearby Hotel Albatroz, including their swimming pool.
Babies (0-1 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
The Deluxe Sea View and the Grand Deluxe Sea View rooms can both take an extra bed or baby cot; some of these rooms have a bath as well as a shower.
The restaurant's Terrace Menu has a few kid-friendly dishes such as fried sea-medley, mini-hamburgers and ice cream, but you're probably better off at child-appropriate eateries in town, such as the pizzeria opposite.
Kids Activities nearby:
- Town beach opposite
- Pool at Hotel Albatroz
- Watersports in the sea
- Playground in the nearby park
- Free bike rental at the Town Hall opposite
Families Should Know:
You're right on the promenade, with a car park and road in front/to the right, so keep an eye on kids who might dash off.
- Airport: 40 minutes
- Hospital: 10 minutes
- Shops: 1 minute
Villa Cascais is on the main promenade beside Fisherman's Beach in the centre of vibrant Cascais, close to the restaurants and shops. Cascais is 35km west of Lisbon.
Lisbon Portela Airport (35km) is your closest. Click on the links below for a list of airlines serving here. Ask for an airport transfer, travel here by train or see ou car rental recommendations. The hotel has free valet parking.
It is a simple (and great value) 40-minute journey from central Lisbon to Cascais, along the scenic Estoril Riviera (alight at Cais do Sodre station). The hotel is 5 minutes' walk from the station.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Portugal and getting around
- Lisbon Portela Airport 35.0 km LIS
- Beach 0.1 km
- Shops 0.1 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km