“An old-world colonial villa with 20 charming rooms, set in a nature reserve just 10 minutes from Singapore’s hyper-modern city centre”
Designed to keep you cool in the tropical heat, the 20 colonial-style rooms and suites feature lofty ceilings, wide verandas and heavy wooden shutters opening out to the shady garden. Some have private plunge pools or Japanese soaking tubs; others hand-carved four-poster beds. Wander the quiet mangrove trails, sip lemongrass tea in the Library, and enjoy contemporary Thai cuisine in the atmospheric Tamarind Hill restaurant. Should you wish to sample Singapore’s urban attractions, the sparkling MRT train system spanning most of the city-state will whizz you around in air-conditioned comfort. For second-time visitors to Singapore, this grown-up retreat offers a chance to relax after a long flight, then opportunity to explore the heart of the city.
- Fantastic location - the hotel is set within a nature reserve but you're a short MRT ride from Singapore's thriving city centre
- A feel of generosity: Rates include breakfast, afternoon tea, happy-hour cocktails, and a nightcap of Port and chocolates
- Tastefully restored rooms and interiors, using authentic materials and carefully sourced antiques for a rustic colonial feel
- Sarang Rooms have bathroom plunge pools while some Crib Rooms have splendid wooden soaking tubs - ideal for cooling off after exploring the city
- The Tamarind Hill restaurant is one of Singapore's best
- Full payment is required on reservation
- Don’t expect any lively entertainment - the quiet atmosphere is part of the hotel's charm
- There’s no swimming pool, spa or gym but some rooms have private plunge pools
- Crib rooms are on the small side and only have windows in their bathrooms - but they are large and airy
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurant & bar (open daily)
- Children welcome (no cots available)
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
In keeping with the villa’s heritage, the 20 rooms and suites seamlessly fuse authentic colonial character with modern elegance and comfort. Whitewashed walls, sleek polished floors and dark wood furnishings are complemented by antique Chinese trunks, Hmong wall hangings and deep-pile Afghan rugs. Each room is individually styled but all feature kingsize beds, Bluetooth speakers and spacious tiled bathrooms with rain showers. Turndown comes with a welcome nightcap of Port and chocolates.
The most opulent abode – and well worth a splurge – is the standalone Luxe Sarang suite, with a spacious living area, private garden and large outdoor plunge pool. In the main villa, the Sarang rooms offer outdoor pools and sunken whirlpool baths.
The 2 upper-floor Luxe Crib rooms have four-poster beds and serene garden views. The 11 small but perfectly formed Crib rooms open onto a private terrace leading out to the leafy garden; some have Japanese-style wooden soaking tubs for an added touch of decadence.
- Air conditioning
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
The hotel’s restaurant, Tamarind Hill, is a 2-minute boardwalk through the jungle. A sweeping staircase leads up to the elegant bungalow where high ceilings and huge chandeliers are the epitome of colonial grandeur. Breakfast on the veranda is a simple affair of freshly squeezed juice, pancakes and eggs cooked to order, or local staples such as nasi lemak.
Lunch and dinner from the à la carte menu are tempting enough to entice city dwellers out into the sticks. A refined take on Thai and Burmese cuisine, you might choose from catfish red curry or tom yum soup with river lobster, seafood phad Thai or roasted duck curry with sticky mango rice.
If you're peckish in between, a complimentary afternoon tea is served in the Library, and Asian snacks are available to nibble on throughout the day. You won't want to miss the happy-hour cocktails either; the likes of Singapore Slings and Lychee Martinis are complimentary for guests.
- Dinner by arrangement
- Lunch by arrangement
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Explore the peaceful boardwalk trails of Labrador Nature Reserve on foot or by rented bike
- Hike the Southern Ridges, a 10km track leading up to the forest canopy at Telok Blangah Hill
- Head to Gardens by the Bay, a futuristic park with striking 'supertree' structures, scallop-shaped greenhouses and impressive skywalk
- Take it easy in the Botanical Gardens, a serene wonderland of of tropical flora
- Do as the locals do and take the cable car to Sentosa Island for unabashed fun in the theme parks, (fake) sandy beaches and casinos
- Wander through the Colonial District and check out one of the city’s museums; the Paranakan Museum, Asian Civilisations Museum and National Museum are all well worth a look
- Sample hawker cuisine at legendary Maxwell Food Centre, with its dizzying array of Malay and Chinese meals
- Historical sites
- Plantlife / flora
- Shopping / markets
Activities on site or nearby include:
Villa Samadhi Singapore accepts infants and children up to the age of 16. There are no specific facilities for children and no cots available. In the interest of safety due to location and the design of the hotel - and peaceful enjoyment of all the guests - parents of young children are asked to strictly supervise them at all times.
Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
The Luxe Sarang and Sarang room types are able to accommodate an extra bed. (Note, there are no cots or twin rooms available.)
- Airport: 20km (Changi)
- Shops: 0.5km
- Hospital: 2km (Alexandra)
The hotel is set within Labrador Nature Reserve on Singapore’s southern coast. It’s a 10-minute walk to Labrador Park MRT station, from where trains run all across the city-state.
Fly to Changi International Airport, about 20km east of the city centre. The hotel can arrange a transfer to the hotel for an additional charge (maximum 3 people per car), or plenty of reliable local taxis wait outside the airport. Alternatively, take the MRT to Labrador Park station from where it’s a 400m walk to the hotel.
The hotel has free parking, but there’s no need for a car as Singapore’s public transport system is second to none.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Changi International Airport 20.0 km SIN
- Beach 2.0 km
- Shops 0.5 km
- Restaurant 0.2 km