“Intimate and stylish little hotel tucked away in a quiet corner of Ahangama, southern Sri Lanka’s hippest enclave”
With just 4 chic rooms, the hotel feels magically calm and uncrowded, more like a boutique homestay in some ways. And the array of little seating areas and large dining room allow you to to be as private or sociable as you like. Décor is boho-luxe, every tiny detail thoughtfully considered. Furnishings are beautifully eclectic, too - a blend of locally-made and upcycled pieces, along with fabulous antiques, curios and art. We especially loved the personal touches, including a hand-drawn map of the owners' favourite things to do and see in the area. It’s a great base for the southern region, and always refreshing to return to the calm of such a tranquil little haven.
- Ahangama: a laid-back surf town, 30 mins from Galle. Palm-dotted bays, warm seas, and plenty of cool little restaurants and bars
- Just 4 rooms, with gorgeous indoor-outdoor bathrooms
- Fantastic value
- Helpful, charming staff
- All the charm of a small set-up (peace, great service) along with the benefits of a larger hotel (lovely pool, outdoor gym, tiny spa)
- At present, no lunch or dinner is served, but it will be soon and there are plenty of cafes and restaurants nearby
- All beds are doubles
- This is the jungle so don’t be surprised if you come across creepy crawlies!
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 4 rooms
- Breakfast only; restaurants nearby
- Welcome but not ideal
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
The 4 rooms are cool and stylish, simply decorated with white walls and muted hues. Vivid artwork adds bold splashes of colour. Each has a dream of a four-poster bed with thick-sprung mattresses, piles of plump pillows and elegant wrought-iron canopies.
We also loved the stylish indoor-outdoor bathrooms, which have rainfall showers, pretty pink terrazzo floors, classy Art Deco glass lighting and black iron fixtures. Soft waffle robes and organic toiletries were a welcome touch after a day in the heat.
101 is the Suite and has a small sitting room with a wicker couch and side tables. A beautiful dreamcatcher adorns the wall behind the bed. 102 is the largest of the 3 Double rooms, with a lovely antique desk (though its bathroom is the smallest of the lot). 103 has its own garden terrace with seating and a table. The bathroom is private to you, but accessed through a separate door down the corridor. 104 was our favourite room purely because of the beautiful big semicircular bathroom, built into the original curved exterior walls.
- Air conditioning
- Mosquito net
- Safe box
Breakfast (included) is served in the airy dining room at a communal table, and is simple but tasty, with seasonal fresh fruit, smoothies, cereals, curd, toast and spreads. A small à la carte menu offers hot dishes such as shakshuka, Sri Lankan hoppers, omelettes and eggs.
At present, no other meals are served but this will change soon. In the meantime, there are loads of great little places to eat and drink in Ahangama: staff can direct you to their favourite haunts
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Relax by the 18m swimming pool and watch peacocks stalk past you and monkeys swing through the jungle
- Ahangama is a surfing hotspot; it’s one of the key draws to the area. There are several breaks within 5km, from beginner-friendly Weligama to the more challenging reefs of Kabalana. The hotel can help arrange kit hire, guides and lessons
- Hire a bike or tuk-tuk to explore the rich interior and see a totally different side of island life; rice paddies, water buffalo and quiet villages
- You're 30 minutes from the Unesco-listed Galle Fort. Spend a few hours exploring its cobbled streets: there are hip cafes, jewellery shops spilling with gems; dusty antique shops and chic independent boutiques. At sunset, take a walk along the rampart walls
- Day trips to the elephant- and leopard-filled Udawalawe National Park are easy to arrange
- Back at the hotel, unwind with yoga classes, Ayurvedic treatments and deep-tissue massages, or you can use the outdoor gym, the only one in the area, with its monkey bars, kettle bells and battle ropes
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Art classes
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Plantlife / flora
- Private guided tours
- Scuba diving
- Shopping / markets
- Traditional cultures
- Well being
- Whale watching
Not especially geared up for families, but they are welcome nonetheless and baby cots can be provided.
Babies (0-1 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
Abode Ahangama is situated just outside the town of Ahangama in the south west of Sri Lanka, around 2.5/3 hours from the international airport (depending on the traffic). It's 30 minutes south of Galle Fort.
Fly into Colombo Bandaranaike airport (167km), the island’s main international hub. The hotel can arrange transfers from here in advance. Alternatively, you can take the Air Taxi service to Koggala Lake (8km, 20 minutes' drive) and arrange a pick-up from there.
It you want to hire a car and driver for your entire trip, enquire through our Tailormade Tour Operator. Otherwise, staff can arrange cars, drivers and tuk-tuks for day trips and local journeys.
If you’re already on the island, you can take a train to Ahangama train station, 2km from the property. You can then hop in a tuk-tuk.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Colombo Bandaranaike 167.0 km CMB
- Beach 1.0 km
- Shops 0.2 km
- Restaurant 0.2 km