“Finally, a contemporary hotel in the Lake District, with a kids' club, an indoor pool and stunning views”
The emphasis is on enjoying the great outdoors: paddle-boarding, hiking, sailing, or just drinking in the views over cocktails on the terrace. Parents, kids and romantics alike appreciate the 40 spacious rooms and cottages, spread across the original building and 2 brand-new wings; there's also a breakfast waffle station and plenty of locally sourced food. And whatever the season, there's an indoor pool to dive into, plus cosy corners for curling up with a hot chocolate. Four-legged friends are equally welcome - this is the Lakes, after all.
- The stunning lakefront location and Ullswater views are hard to beat
- Stylish, laid-back and flexible accommodation - a rarity in the Lake District
- Plenty of activities to keep you busy - sailing, canoeing, paddle-boarding, cycling, hiking and more
- Very family-friendly, with children's dinner times, a kids' club and 2-bedroom family suites and cottages
- The 'Swim Club' - the hotel's take on a spa, with an indoor pool, outdoor hot tub, sauna, treatment rooms and swimming clinic
- The hotel was still under construction when we visited and only opened in August 2017 - but we've been impressed by what we've seen so far
- You'll need a car to get here and to eat out
- Couples might prefer to avoid the school holidays, but even at peak times there's enough space for everyone to spread out
- The weather in the Lakes is unpredictable, but there's plenty to occupy you here come rain or shine
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurants & bar (open daily)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Indoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
Rooms range from Standard doubles through slightly larger Better and Best rooms to spacious Suites. Those in the original 1714 building are being updated but will keep their antique furniture (four-poster beds, leather armchairs) and grand feel; many also have stunning lake views.
Two blocks of purpose-built rooms are new in 2017, some with disabled access. These are a little more contemporary, with a smart teal, mustard and burgundy colour scheme. These blocks also house the Family Suites, each with a bunk room for kids and a double room with a lake view for parents; some interconnect for larger groups and extended families. In addition, 2 standalone Family Cottages - one with a double bedroom and lounge with a sofabed, the other with a double bedroom and twin bedroom - are in the grounds.
All rooms have own-brand toiletries, along with bathrobes, tea- and coffee-making kit, a Stanley flask, Ruark speakers, a fridge and a TV.
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- Ipod dock
- Speakers for MP3/iPod/laptop
Not one but 2 restaurants will offer plenty of options to keep even the fussiest eater happy.
Breakfast in the main 70-seater Rampsbeck Restaurant is a help-yourself smörgåsbord of loveliness, including fresh fruit, cereals, breads and even a waffle-making station. Dinner is also served here, with the emphasis on fresh, hearty food sourced from local producers. A separate kids' meal is served from 5-6pm, so parents can sit and have a drink while their youngsters munch their way through a healthy yet appealing menu.
The Living Space, the more casual dining option, is open from 11.30am to 10pm, offering everything from coffee to cocktails to a casual grazing menu. Dogs and kids are welcome in this relaxed space, with additional seating outside on the terrace. The new blocks housing the family rooms also have a pantry area with a microwave, fridge and drinking water - ideal for making out-of-hours-snacks.
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Room service
- Take to the lake: all sorts of water-based activities (paddle-boarding, sailing, kayaking, canoeing) will be bookable via the hotel
- You could also chug across the lake on one of the famous Ullswater Steamers, which run from Glenridding to Pooley Bridge
- Wild swimming in the lake is exhilarating - just ensure you swim safely. If you prefer to swim indoors, head to the 20m pool with its floor-to-ceiling windows looking out over Ullswater
- Hiking is what the Lakes are known for, so bring your boots and ask at reception for maps and tips on the best routes to take
- Book a treatment at the 'Swim Club' - massages, facials, manicures and more will be available. It will also host yoga weekends, plus swim clinics for those who want advice on their stroke
- The hotel can recommend 6 wild-running trails for particularly active types. Mountain fitness retreats are also planned
- Or just curl up with a book in the library - a quiet haven in the main building
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Mountain biking
- Museums / galleries
- Paddle boarding
- Plantlife / flora
- Shopping / markets
- Well being
Another Place is a great option for families, with a kids' club, kids' meals, a playground and games room, and accommodation options for up to 5 people. Active families in particular will love it here, thanks to the huge array of outdoor adventures available in the area.
Family friendly accommodation:
All rooms other than Standards will accommodate 1-2 baby cots or rollaway beds, with no extra charge for children under 3 in a cot. The best options for families are the Family Suites and Family Cottages, which will have a double bedroom for parents and a bunk room, twin room or separate lounge with sofabed for kids. There will also be 4 interconnecting rooms.
Available on request.
- Baby cots
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
The Ofsted-registered kids' club provides supervised sessions by age group (3-7 years and 7-12 years), with an emphasis on outdoor activities and bush craft. Both groups operate every morning and evening during school holidays; at other times, there are evening sessions for 3-7 year-olds and weekend sessions for 7-12 year-olds
Both restaurants have kids' menus, and a separate kids' dinner is held daily between 5 and 6pm. There is also a pantry with help-yourself snacks
Kids Activities on site:
- Games room
- Kids' DVDs, books and toys
- Indoor pool
- Sailing, kayaking and paddle-boarding
Kids Activities nearby:
- Mountain biking
- Horse riding
- Kong Adventure indoor climbing and caving centre in Keswick
- Crafty Monkeys pottery painting in Penrith
- Rheged Centre (arts, play areas, a cinema and shops) just outside Penrith
- Go Ape (ropes and zip-wires) in Grizedale Forest
- The World of Beatrix Potter in Bowness-on-Windermere
Families Should Know:
You'll need to supervise children by the lake and pool
- Shop: 5-minute drive
- Airport: 1.5-hour drive (Newcastle, Manchester or Liverpool)
- Hospital: 20-minute drive (Penrith)