Airy, self-catering bungalows for 2-4 within a peaceful Chalkidiki campground: 2 private beaches, tennis and a restaurant”
While the camping is divine, the 2-bedroom stone bungalows are pure genius for those preferring creature comforts like air con, a modern kitchenette and a private bathroom. Nap in your backyard hammock. Laze on one of the 2 beautiful beaches or boat to one of 3 offshore islands to go snorkelling. Savour the sunset with local wine and fresh seafood. Serenity plus simple style: the best of both worlds.
- A gorgeous stretch of coastline in one of the most unspoilt areas of Chalkidiki - pines, eucalyptus, palms, olive and fruit trees, tropical flowers
- Perfect for a quiet, relaxing holiday by the sea, but plenty to do nearby too, ranging from archaeological sites to wine tasting
- The genuine Greek welcome (not always a given these days)
- Excellent value
- Hearty breakfasts, fresh fish and traditional Greek dishes in the restaurant
- Only the campsites are beachfront, though the bungalows are just a 2-minute stroll from the private beaches (plus some benefit from sea views)
- No pool, spa, TVs or DVD players and you will need to buy all basics (washing-up liquid, salt, pepper etc)
- Only children aged 8+ are accommodated
- Bear in mind that the owners hold traditional values
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Beach Resort
- 8 bungalows for 2-4
- Self-catering + restaurant (open daily)
- Over 8s welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
- Tennis Court
- Bicycles Available
- 2 private beaches
- Basketball and volleyball
The 8 freestanding bungalows each have 65 sq.m of space. With a large lounge, kitchenette and 2 bedrooms that share a bathroom, they're a spacious bolthole for a couple, 2 couples who don't mind one of the rooms being twinned, or families of 4.
With striking white stone walls and sliding glass doors leading onto a veranda, the main living area is quietly stylish. There's a navy-blue 3-cushion sofa and cherry-red ottoman-style bench. The small corner kitchenette is useful for cooking easy meals, and the covered veranda has almost as much living space as the lounge. Even with the large teak table and 4 cushioned chairs, there's still plenty of room to unfold the sunloungers. A built-in stone bench provides additional seating, and you get a slice of semi-private lawn with a hammock tied to 2 trees. Most bungalows have sea views.
Bedrooms are simply decorated, with wrought-iron beds - a double in one room, 2 singles in the other. The bathroom is modern; most bungalows have a corner bathtub with a folding screen for showering, but some have a walk-in shower instead.
- Air conditioning
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Hob or stove
- Washing machine
- Welcome drinks and a bottle of wine
A generous breakfast (not included in the rate) is served in the restaurant. My tray nearly overflowed with plates of feta cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers and watermelon, plus bread with marmalade and olives from the Charalampidis' grove. This was followed by eggs scrambled with cheese and tomatoes. A tall glass of orange juice and a cup of Greek coffee were the perfect accompaniment (I love the stuff, but you can order something less strong like a cappuccino or tea instead).
Close to the sand, the covered restaurant is furnished with traditional blue chairs and trimmed with potted geraniums. Much more than a convenient place to grab a bite, it is a place to feast on fresh fish and traditional Greek dishes. Everything is made from fresh local ingredients. You can stop in here throughout the day for a coffee, a refreshing drink or a snack.
The small kitchenettes in the bungalows are ideal for preparing lunch or a light dinner using the hob or microwave (note there is no oven). There is also a shared barbecue area. Your mini-fridge is stocked with water, boxed juices, a bowl of fresh fruit and a bottle of local wine - all complimentary - and there's a small freezer compartment. The mini-mart sells fresh produce, sliced meats and cheeses, and staples such as pasta and owner Stellos' homemade olive oil - as well as a selection of Greek wines and liquors. Note you'll need to buy all basic ingredients.
If you want to venture off-site to eat, Georgios recommends Okyalos and Kaymata in Neos Marmaras for fresh fish and seafood, and Mpoukadoura in Akti Elias, a little further up the coast, for Greek specialities.
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Hob or stove
- Restaurants nearby
- Shared barbecue area
- Vegetarian menu
- Chill. Read on your veranda; swing in the backyard hammock; chat with new friends over coffee and cake in the restaurant
- Laze on the 2 private beaches and swim in the calm sea. Or visit one of the 3 small islands facing Areti to go snorkelling and have a picnic
- Get active: play tennis, basketball or volleyball, or go windsurfing and sailing. Practise early-morning yoga on the beach, or be inspired for painting and photography. If golf is your passion, take on the tournament-quality 18-hole golf course at a resort 10km away (where there's also a full-service spa)
- Discover nearby ancient and cultural monuments such as Mount Athos, the cave of Petralona, the park of Aristoteles, and the old village of Parthenon
- Wine tasting and boat trips can be arranged
- Visit local towns - we love the village of Arnea, known for its traditional Macedonian architecture, where there's a museum and the largest church in Chalkidiki. Shop for handmade textiles, wines, olives, preserved fruits, and locally produced honey
- Day-trip to Thessaloniki. Stroll along the waterfront, visit the White Tower and legendary Church of Hagia Sophia, and head to Shark bar-restaurant for lunch or dinner, a great venue for live music
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
- Wine tasting
Each bungalow can accommodate 2 adults and 2 children. Request a bathtub if you'd prefer that to a shower. The beaches have calm water and marked swimming areas. Otherwise, kids can make their own fun playing games in the grounds and sports courts.
Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Areti Bungalows is located on the unspoilt west coast of the Sithonia peninsula - the 'second finger' of Chalkidiki (Halkidiki) in Macedonia, Greece. It is 12km from the town of Neos Marmaras, and 132km (1.5 hours' drive) from Thessaloniki.
Thessaloniki Macedonia International Airport is 132km away. Click on the links below for a list of airlines serving this airport.
From the Airport
Areti can arrange taxi transfers on request, but we'd recommend hiring a car (see below) for sightseeing up and down the coast.
From Thessaloniki, it’s a beautiful 1.5-hour drive to Areti. The sea views and lush pine forests are spectacular. For car rentals, click here to see our recommendations. You can park outside the bungalows.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Greece and getting around
- Thessaloniki Macedonia International Airport 132.0 km SKG
- Beach 0.1 km
- Shops 12.0 km
- Restaurant 1.0 km