“An upscale design hotel with playful retro stylings, whose rooftop bar has incredible views of the Acropolis”
Floors are wild, from jagged optical illusions to psychedelic twirls, offset by walnut panelling and cool marble counter-tops. Beds are piled high with crisp linen, sitting areas feature classic chairs and, unusually for an inner-city hotel, every room has a private balcony. Some are petite and peaceful, with hanging jardinières curtaining an inner courtyard; others are brash terraces with a perfect view of the Parthenon. Can’t decide whether you’re old-skool or new? Head to the rooftop restaurant for the jaw-dropping vista of the Acropolis, listen to some Melina Mercouri and enjoy a Parthenon’s Glow cocktail over dinner. Sometimes it’s nice to be a bit of both.
- A great location, just minutes from the Acropolis and Parthenon, amid charming pedestrianised streets
- A retro modernist style inspired by Athens' swinging '60s period
- All 21 rooms have private outdoor space
- Two restaurants with delicious Western and Greek dishes; one has a stunning rooftop dining terrace with Acropolis views
- Friendly knowledgeable staff - you'll get insider knowledge on where to go for a true Athenian experience, without the crowds
- SENSE Fine Dining is expensive and only open for dinner, despite being the only on-site restaurant with Acropolis views (book ahead to avoid disappointment)
- Athens’ traffic noise is ceaseless, but this is on a pedestrianised street so the rumble and rasp is more distant
- No swimming pool but rooms have air-con for cooling off
- A bit more expensive than other boutique hotels in the city, but utterly worth it
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurants and bar open daily
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
Various room types are spread over 6 floors; all are smartly minimalist, with signature swirly tile flooring, faux-wood panelling and the bonus of a private balcony.
Smallest are the Classic Rooms, which have bijou garden verandas. Deluxe Room balconies overlook the plane trees of the Dionysiou Aeropagitou pedestrian walkway. We stayed in a Residence Suite, which had similar views plus a sitting area with designer leather armchairs. Large patio doors the length of the room opened to a huge balcony with chairs overlooking the cute touristy pedestrianised street below. Families are best off in the Executive Suites, as these have sofabeds and a sliding dividing wall to create 2 rooms, each with its own shower bathroom.
If an Acropolis view is a must, book a Superior Deluxe Room or the bigger AthensWas Suite - both have spacious balconies with a table and chairs. But if you’d rather lounge while gazing at the iconic landmark, there's a daybed on the panoramic plant-filled terrace of the Hellenic Suites on the hotel’s top floor.
Bathrooms throughout are sleek, with tiled glass, grey-black marbling and rain showers, as well as complimentary Korres toiletries. All rooms have HD TVs; high-end suites have Nespresso machines, too.
- Air conditioning
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
The a la carte breakfast and all-day menu are served in the ground-floor Brasserie Moderne, which lives up to its name with zig-zag black-and-white tiles and colourful abstract murals. Along with traditional morning dishes such as eggs Benedict and pancakes, expect local fare like Greek milk pie and bread from Thessaloniki. For lunch, light bites include sandwiches, Greek salad, pasta and mains such as sea bass or cheeseburger.
For dinner, book a table at the rooftop restaurant, SENSE Fine Dining, with its stunning view of the Acropolis. Sip a Crème Brulee Martini and drink in the vista, then enjoy a delicious (if a tad pricey) dinner. Starters could be a seascape of local seafood, or a kitchen garden of colourful vegetables with truffle. For mains try the stuffed pigeon, suckling pig or poached grouper.
The neighbourhood is teeming with great restaurants; ask staff for recommendations.
- Children's meals
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- The Acropolis Museum is a 2-minute walk away; don’t miss a clamber around ancient sights in the vicinity, including the Parthenon and Caryatid statues, as well as the Acropolis itself
- Meander through the historic Plaka district, at the foot of the Acropolis, with its charming flea markets, pottery and leather goods stalls
- Take a guided tour of Athens - the hotel can arrange this, as well as various day trips out of the city; even helicopter flights to the islands!
- Feeling romantic? Ask for a private-dining experience on the hotel rooftop with its panoramic view of the Acropolis and the city
- Fitness fanatics can pick up a jogging map from the hotel
- Chill out and read in the hotel's patio
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
- Well being
- Wine tasting
Families are warmly welcome and lots of families do stay, though there are no special facilities for kids. The hotel is sited on a pedestrianised road and is only a few minutes from the Acropolis.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
Classic Rooms, Residence Suites and the AthensWas Suite can all fit a baby cot or rollaway bed. The Executive Suites have a single sofabed and space for a rollaway bed in their living room (thus sleeping a family of 4 in 2 bedrooms with 2 bathrooms). Hellenic Suites can be joined together to create a family penthouse
- Baby cots
- High chairs
- Changing mat
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Neither of the two restaurants have a kids' menu but welcome children. Families will probably prefer to eat in the Bistro rather than in the 7th-floor SENSE fine dining restaurant, which also has steps up to it
Kids Activities nearby:
- Easy walking distance to Acropolis and other ancient monuments
- Shopping and strolling around the Plaka district
Families Should Know:
The road outside is pedestrianised
- Airport: 40 minutes
- Hospital: 10 minutes
- Shops: 2 minutes