Beautiful barns in blissful isolation, a hop from Norfolk’s spectacular coast (sleeping 4-14; self-catering)”
The six Barsham Barns are ideal bases for exploration: beautifully secluded, and brilliantly designed by local architect Anthony Hudson with clean lines and dramatic spaces inside, which match (but never outshine) the grand skies outside. Set in North Barsham, near Walsingham, all share a serene aesthetic: open-plan with walls of deep teal, exposed stone, or aubergine, set against carefully chosen Moroccan treasures or crisp Swedish dressers. Wide windows cut into long walls make paintings of the rolling landscape. They’re cosy in winter, with underfloor heating and wood-burning stoves, and glorious in summer, with seating and barbecues in private gardens. Come for a week, and don’t tell a soul.
Information provided by Barsham Barns on 11/11/2020.
Cleaning and hygiene
Barns are cleaned and sanitised to the COVID-Ready Guidelines from PASC UK, the AA and Visit England; for example sofas are misted with antibacterial spray, every single piece of crockery and cutlery is washed, and key code pads disinfected before you arrive. We have had an independent Risk Assessment carried out that covers all aspects of our business and this can be seen on our website. We provide soap for hand washing, some hand sanitiser, disposable gloves and face masks if you have not brought your own or have run out.
When in the grounds, we ask that you socially distance from other guests please, especially relevant when you’ve got small children in tow! Please take note of the reminders to wash your hands more frequently.
Our spa pool, games room and steam room are closed until we have further advice from the government. We have removed hair dryers and food processors from the barns, to reduce the cleaning burden and keep check-in/out times reasonable.
Check in is now 5pm (instead of 4pm), check out by 9:30am at the latest. For bookings made before 31 Dec 2020, we have managed to secure cover for a 100% guaranteed refund if guests have to cancel for any reason between 60-2 days before arrival.
We ask that you minimise the need for staff to enter your barn during your stay: for example, if you have a problem with WiFi, we will try and resolve it over the phone first. The office will be open, generally between 9am and 5pm Monday-Friday with some exceptions.
Guests must observe government regulations around larger gatherings, such as the 2-household rule or 6-person rule - or whatever is in force at the time of stay.
- In peaceful countryside, just 15-25-minutes' drive from the coast
- Gorgeous contemporary design: not offputtingly cool; supremely comfortable
- Great for a party with flexible accommodation: hire all 6 (or some) for an unforgettable bash or weekend with friends
- Super for children: safe outdoor spaces for running around; twin bedrooms; a games room
- A Jacuzzi and steam room; massages and treatments can be arranged in your barn
- If all the barns are full, you might be aware of fellow guests, though each is cunningly designed to minimise sight of others, and there's a zero-tolerance noise policy after 11pm
- A car is essential. There’s no shop or pub to walk to, and you'll need to drive for eating out (10-20 mins). There’s lots to do nearby, but it’s all at least a short drive away
- A 3-night minimum stay
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Barn Rentals
- 6 barns for 4-14 guests + 1 shepherds hu
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Bicycles Available
- Games room
Welcoming open-plan living spaces have luxurious deep squishy sofas, carefully curated classic furniture and original paintings. High standards, from kitchen equipment to linen, ensure you’d be comfortable for a week or more. French doors open onto private patios with tables and chairs, gardens extend toward the landscape beyond. Lounges have wood-burning stoves and DVD players for cosy winters. Sleeping quarters have top-notch bathrooms (soap supplied), bedrooms exude a chapel-like serenity.
Stunning Great East Barn (up to 14) and High Barsham (max 12) are popular for party groups. Long Meadow and Grey's Court are good for two families holidaying together or an extended family (8-10); Little Barsham (where we stayed) is lovely for a couple or small family (4), as is the smaller (and newest addition) Loose Box. For those who need an extra bedroom if staying in either Grey's Court or Little Barsham, you can book the Shepherd's Hut which sleeps 2 in either a double or bunks configuration.
- CD player
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Satellite TV
- Tumble dryer
- Underfloor heating
- Washing machine
- Wood-burning fireplace
Rarely have self-catering properties made such excellent provision for guests: we enjoyed cooking in carefully designed open-plan kitchens, adjacent to dining areas. You get high-quality equipment including a food processor and good knives; there's a dishwasher (tablets provided), ample crockery, cutlery, pots and pans. Thoughtful touches include a tray of tea / coffee-making things and cake; tea, coffee, sugar, and milk are supplied. Oak dining tables invite lingering over gourmet feasts. The barns also have outdoor furniture for alfresco meals, and a barbecue each.
A long list of local suppliers, take-aways and eateries is provided. There's an excellent farm shop in Little Walsingham (3km away) - you receive a £20 voucher for booking through i-escape, and supermarkets 8km away (most of which will deliver, too). Outside catering can be organised: dinner parties, paellas, barbecues. Alternatively, drive to good gastro-pubs 15 mins' away; Burnham Market, Wells-next-the-Sea and Holt have great places to eat.
- Chef on request
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Meal delivery service
- Explore the Coast. Local beaches vary from the stony and open (Cley) to the vast and sandy (Holkham) to the more traditional seaside resort (Sheringham, Mundesley and Cromer). You can sail and windsurf at Wells-next-the-Sea or Brancaster Staithe.
- Birding. The whole coast is terrific for bird-spotting, we suggest Cley Marshes and RSPB Titchwell Marsh
- Light railways from Sheringham to Holt and Wells to Walsingham still run atmospheric steam trains. Highly recommended
- Fabulous country houses abound in Norfolk. Our favourites are Holkham Hall, Blickling Hall, Houghton and Felbrigg
- See the seals on Blakeney Point - take a boat from Morston (the companies Bean’s or Bishop’s Boats are recommended). Booking is essential in summer school holidays
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Cooking demos
- Historical sites
- Steam trains
- Well being
- Wine tasting
This is a great place for children. Heaps of baby and toddler equipment can be supplied, there's lots of space to run around safely in each garden, and indoors you get a lovely open-plan lounge to relax as a family. Some barns have twin rooms perfect for kids.
North Norfolk has lots of activities for children - a long list of suggestions is provided in your barn’s notes, some of which are shown below.
Babies (0-1 years), Toddlers (1-4 years), Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
Little Barsham and Loose Box are best for a small family, with 1 double and 1 twin each, and space for a baby cot too. Long Meadow has 4 bedrooms, one of which is a bunk room. Grey's Court has 5 bedrooms arranged at either end of the barn with the living space in the middle, perfect for two families holidaying together. All barns have access to 2 travel cots. Note that if you're in either Grey's Court or Little Barsham and would like an extra bedroom, there's a Shepherd's Hut which sleeps 2 that can be added to your booking
- Travel cots for under 2s
- Booster seats
- Bed guards
- Listening monitors
- Baby alarm
- Baby bath and rubber bath mat
- Sink step
- Changing mat and nappy bin
- Night light
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- The barns share a games room with ping-pong table and table football
- DVD players for the evenings and wet weather
Kids Activities nearby:
- Banham Zoo, Nr Attleborough: big cats, birds of prey and hundreds more, in 35 acres of parkland
- The Thursford Collection, nr Fakenham: traction engines, mechanical organs, Wurlitzers, fairground rides
- Railways: steam trains from Sheringham to Holt, a narrow gauge steam railway from Wells
- Dinosaur Adventure Park, Weston Longville: life-size dinosaurs hiding in the undergrowth
- North Norfolk Riding Centre, Walsingham: lessons for all ages from beginners upwards and hacking in beautiful countryside
- Bewilderwood, an outdoor treehouse adventure park for families in Horning (zip wires, jungle bridges, boat trips, marsh walks)
Families Should Know:
The complex has a driveway off a minor road, although traffic is occasional, best to keep the kids on property, especially as there's a stream once you cross the road. No children under 15 allowed in the steam and Jacuzzi room without supervision
- Airport: Norwich - 15-20 minutes (Haveringland); Stansted - 2 hours
- Hospital: 35-40 minutes
- Shops: 5-10 minutes
The barns are in North Barsham, near Walsingham, which is close to the western end of the north Norfolk coast. The site is about 2.5-3 hours’ drive from London.
Norwich Airport is closest, but this is mainly a domestic hub so most fly into London Stansted, then hire a car or take a train; it's a 2-hour drive. Although you could take a taxi from the airport, we'd recommend having your own vehicle.
You will need a car to explore North Norfolk, see our car rental recommendations.
If some of your party are coming by public transport, trains from Liverpool St Station in London reach Norwich in 2 hours (Haveringland). Or travel from London King’s Cross to King’s Lynn in 1.5 hours (Barsham Barns). From the north of the country, you need to change at Peterborough via Ely for King’s Lynn or Norwich.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to the UK and getting around
- Norwich 43.0 km NWI
- London Stansted 138.0 km STN
- Beach 8.0 km
- Shops 6.0 km
- Restaurant 1.5 km