From the outside, the traditional rustic buildings blend seamlessly with the undulating Marche landscape. Yet hidden within, the 4 loft-style apartments and 2-bedroom villa feature sleek minimalist interiors, creating a sense of light, space and, above all, calm. The vibe continues at the chic clubhouse, where a floating spiral staircase sweeps down to the spa and stunning heated black infinity pool beyond. Fifteen acres of landscaped gardens offer peaceful walks and secluded sunset drinks. We can't wait to visit and explore rural Italy at its best: medieval churches, Renaissance art and fabulous gastronomy.
- The welcoming atmosphere created by Ariane and Frank - special touches such as homemade jams and cakes make you feel at home
- It's a great base for exploring the Marche region, with its medieval hilltop towns, vineyards, Renaissance art and beaches
- We love the sleek modern design: super-stylish but wonderfully comfortable
- The chic clubhouse is a great sociable place to chill out in the evenings and chat with other guests - and there's a free bar!
- Enjoy fresh produce from the wonderful markets or dine out at one of many local restaurants
- The isolated location means you'll definitely need a hire car to get around
- There's no restaurant on site but the nearest is just 2km away and there are plenty more in Arcevia (7.5km)
- A strict minimum 7-night booking policy with a Saturday changeover; the property is closed November-March
- The summer months are popular with families; honeymooners may find more seclusion off season
- If you are looking for the buzz of a city you won't find it here; teenagers may find it a little quiet
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Apartments & Villas
- 4 apartments and a 2-bed villa
- All ages welcome
- Closed: 23 October - 29 April
- Heated Pool
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Bicycles Available
- Laundry Service
- Games field
- Fire pit
- Electric car charger
As you might expect from a designer, the accommodation at Borgo Tranquillo is of the highest spec. Though the properties are individually styled, they each juxtapose traditional regional architecture with chic, minimalist interiors - designed to be bright, spacious and exceptionally comfortable.
The 4 loft-style apartments, sleeping 2 adults and 1 child, are popular with honeymooners or couples with young children. Modern and cool with high ceilings, open-plan living areas and fully integrated marble kitchens, the beautiful bathrooms feature wet-room showers. Apartments 3&4 are on the first floor, with double-ended baths in the bedrooms for added decadence; apartments 1&2 are on the ground floor, with their tub in the bathroom. Each apartment has a woodburning stove and its own private terrace for alfresco wining and dining.
The secluded 2-bedroom villa is well set up for families or groups. On the ground floor, the large timber-beamed kitchen-diner opens out onto an enclosed garden, while upstairs the living room has an open fire and a balcony with panoramic views. Both bedrooms are ensuite and have kingsized beds.
- Central heating
- Fireplace (some rooms)
- Hifi music system
- Nespresso coffee machine
- Pool towels
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
- Washing machine
All accommodation is fully self-catering and kitchens are fully equipped with everything you could possible need. The nearby village of Arcevia has supermarkets, restaurants, bars, artisan bakeries, a butcher, a grocers, a fresh pasta shop and a cheese shop. Twice a week, a fishmonger comes up from the coast selling fresh fish and seafood. Ariane and Frank have encyclopedic knowledge of the local area and provide guests with a comprehensive guide to nearby places to eat, drink and visit.
In the clubhouse there's a free bar with generous supplies, and a Nespresso machine. Throughout your stay, Ariane leaves little treats for guests to help themselves to: trays of freshly baked madeleines might appear one day; the next it might be rustic baskets of fruit and vegetables grown on the estate, such as Datterini tomatoes, courgettes and shiny aubergines.
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Basic ingredients
- Find a secluded spot in the extensive gardens to enjoy a sunset cocktail or enjoy a moment of utter peace in one of the hammocks
- Take a walk round the estate on follow the 2.5-km nature trail
- Indulge yourself in the Turkish bath before retreating to the infinity pool to cool off and admire the views
- Visit the centro storico of charming hilltop village of Arcevia, a 5-minute drive away, with its ancient palazzos and churches
- Explore the Frasassi Caves, 16km to the south, with its huge Grotta del Vento full of stalactites and stalagmites
- Take a day trip to Urbino, the birthplace of Raphael, known for its Renaissance art and architecture
- Head to the beach at Senigallia, just 35km away, with some of Italy's longest beaches and plentiful seafood restaurants
- Browse the multi-lingual library for some poolside reading material
Activities on site or nearby include:
Children of all ages can stay, though it's perhaps best suited to younger families who are happy pottering around the grounds, splashing in the heated pool or taking easy day trips. Italians are always very welcoming to children and the ready availability of pizza and pasta makes eating out a joy. The long, sandy Adriatic beaches are within an hour's drive and there are some lovely villages to visit nearby. Note that no more than 4-6 children are accommodated at any one time.
Babies (0-1 years), Toddlers (1-4 years), Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
The apartments can sleep 2 adults and 1 child (2 children during high season), though the villa is more suitable for families and comfortably sleeps up to 5, although the beds do not split into twins.
Kids Activities on site:
- 15 acres of gardens
- Football pitch
- Bicycles to borrow
- 2.5-km nature trail
- Outdoor heated pool
- Games in the clubhouse
- Boules pitch
Families Should Know:
The heated infinity pool is unfenced
- Airport: 53km (Ancona)
- Beach: 40km
- Shops: 7.5km
For more family-friendly places, see our Kids Collection
Borgo Tranquillo is a tiny hamlet, 7.5km from the hill town of Arcevia in the Marche region of central Italy.
The nearest airport is Ancona (53km), which is about a 40-minute drive. The airports at Forli (160km) and Bologna (225km) are also an option.
From the airport:
From Ancona airport you could get a taxi to Borgo Tranquillo but by far the best option is to hire a car so that you can explore the local area.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
More on getting to Italy and getting around
- Marche Airport, Ancona 53.0 km AOI
- Forli International Airport 160.0 km FRL
- Beach 40.0 km
- Shops 7.5 km
- Restaurant 7.5 km