The hotel itself is a contemporary bungalow built in consideration of how a tea planter might live today. Butlers attend to guests, serving home-cooked meals, drinks and snacks, yet there are no airs and graces. The atmosphere is relaxing and warm, and the intimate nature of the hotel means you’ll often get chatting to other guests, perhaps when sipping G&Ts around the crackling fire. And at the end of the evening, you get to retire to a beautiful bedroom, sleep deeply in a four-poster bed, and awake to those views again. Deeply relaxing.
- Breathtaking views, even when the clouds descend. Plus, it’s pin-drop peaceful
- We loved the romantic rooms, with their contemporary styling and four-poster beds
- You can walk out across tea fields directly from the hotel, or visit nearby tea factories
- Rates are all-inclusive and meals are a la carte; choose from superb Sri Lankan or European dishes
- Excellent service from kind staff, and a convivial atmosphere in the lounge
- Be aware that the climate is cool up here and rain is common (classic of the tea country)
- Not an easy place to reach (4-5 hrs from Colombo, 2 hrs from Nuwara Eliya)
- Not cheap but all food is included - and you get a lot of it!
- The pool is unheated, so swimming can be chilly, but you can't beat the view
- Remote (18km from shops), and the dirt track leading to the hotel is very bumpy and can be treacherous in heavy rain
Best time to go
Our top tips
To avoid the long and winding road (or train track) from Colombo, book a seaplane into Castlereagh Reservoir, just below the hotel: it's a thrilling way to arrive.
- Boutique Hotel
- 5 rooms
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car not necessary
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
Interiors are contemporary and stylish, with a feel that's more home than hotel: warm timber floors, honey-coloured furniture, armchairs for sinking into, and vibrant printed cushions infusing colour. Open-plan living areas flow into the bedrooms, each of which is distinct in design and decor.
All but one room faces the lake through enormous windows, and most lead directly into the garden. We were very comfortable in Osbourne (Lakeview Suite), a corner suite with both lake and mountain views, a gorgeous bathroom with tub, and a private garden terrace. Dickoya (Lakeview Family Suite) is the largest suite, with a pair of wicker armchairs on its terrace perfectly positioned for taking in the dreamy views. Its bathroom connects with a small room that can sleep 1-2 children.
Hidden below the house, closest to the pool, is light-bathed Warleigh (Lakeview Room), a spacious honeymoon suite. Maskeliya (Camellia Twin Room) is twin-bedded and faces the mountains, and we loved Norton's (Lakeview Room) chic palette of muted green and blues, emboldened by pops of hot pink.
- Safe box
All meals, snacks and drinks are included in the rate, and refreshingly, menus are a la carte rather than set. The upcountry rice and curry is always available for lunch or dinner, and it’s great fuel for long walks through the tea fields. There are lighter meals, soups and salads too, such as grilled chicken and mango salsa, plus good options for vegetarians. We loved our delicate mille-feuille dessert, which used local strawberries from Nuwara Eliya.
Breakfast is also a la carte. We tucked into Sri Lankan hoppers with curries and sambols on one morning, and on another, local buffalo curd with red berry compote and granola. Both were delicious.
There’s a semi-formal dining area, though food is often served in an adjoining room open to the views. Afternoon tea and cake are laid out on the living room terrace, paired with panoramic mountain views.
- All meals included
- Coffee / tea making
- Room service
- Vegetarian options
- A visit to a tea factory, where you can view the aromatic, ages-old process of tea production, is included in your stay here
- Swim in the pool, pick a book from the library for reading on a terrace, or take a Sri Lankan cookery class with the hotel chefs
- Explore your surroundings on foot – wander estate trails, picnic at scenic secret viewpoints, and visit local villages on your own or with a guide
- The wide vistas make this a fantastic spot for birdwatching, with over 20 species inhabiting the gardens; you get a bird reference book in your room to assist you, or you can head out on a guided walk with a naturalist
- Float through the Castlereagh Reservoir in a traditional dugout canoe, or travel by boat to the intimate, century-old colonial Warleigh Church
- Hike to regional waterfalls, up Adam’s Peak, or across Horton’s Plains to World's End
- Test your nerves and go white-water rafting at Kithulgala
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Cooking classes
- Historical sites
- Plantlife / flora
- Traditional cultures
Children are welcome but the vibe here is serene, so hotel is best suited to those willing to engage with nature and get outdoors. There's a family suite and a shared pool, but no other provisions.
Family friendly accommodation:
Dickoya is the hotel’s family suite: a very large double bedroom, a bathroom (tub and shower) and a second bedroom with a single bed and pull-out trundle bed. Families with older children might consider booking Osbourne (a double) and Maskeliya (a twin), which are located opposite each other (not adjoining) at one end of the bungalow.
Families Should Know:
The living areas are split-level and potentially hazardous for toddlers.
- Airport: 30 mins' drive (Castlereagh Reservoir)
- Shop: 18km (Hatton)
- Medical facility: 18km
Camellia Hills is located near Dickoya, 18km from the market town of Hatton (with a railway station), on the side of a deep valley amid rural villages, tea estates and mountains.
Colombo Bandaranaike is the closest international airport (126km), but it's a good 4-5 hour drive away so an alternative is to book a seaplane with domestic airline Cinnamon Air directly to Castlereagh Reservoir, just below the hotel (20-30 mins' drive). Camellia Hills can organise transfers.
If you want to hire a car and driver for your whole holiday, enquire through our Tailormade Tour Operator; they can collect you at Colombo airport when you land, drive you to the hotel, then drive you to your onward destination(s) after your stay, as well as taking you on all day trips etc.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Colombo Bandaranaike 126.0 km CMB
- Beach 120.0 km
- Shops 18.0 km
- Restaurant 18.0 km