With 4 bedrooms, 2 sitting rooms, an open-plan kitchen-diner, plenty of terrace space and a lap pool in the garden, it's a seriously classy option for a large family or a group of 6-8 friends, who want to spend a week exploring Mallorca's most spectacular landscapes and rugged coastline. The house was renovated using slate, black marble, polished concrete and natural riverstones, to create an uncluttered, vintage-meets-contemporary atmosphere; walls are in muted Farrow & Ball colours. There are arty touches inspired by the owner's 15 years in Paris - silk onion-bulb lampshades, fern-fretwork wall appliqués, velvet and linen cushions, voile curtains in the bedrooms - and thoughtful extras such as fluffy bathrobes and slippers, custom-made bathroom products, and an ample welcome basket. The high-spec kitchen and gorgeous dining terrace put the seal on easy living.
Outside you'll find a 700 sq.m. garden fragrant with orange, lemon, jacaranda, bougainvillia, jasmine, magnolia, and herbs. Keen walkers love it here, with many trails into the Tramuntana mountains right from the doorstep. Beaches, tennis, cycling, sailing and snorkelling are all a short drive away.
- Delightful private setting just outside the pretty village of Fornalutx, with big views and gorgeous outside spaces
- High standard of fixtures and finishings, with original artwork, accessories and flea market finds from Paris, good bed linen, and sleekly contemporary bathrooms
- Proper 13m-long pool with sunloungers, sofas and a hammock
- Extensive selection of books, music and films for the rare rainy day
- Catering on request and culinary/wine tours; Jenny is a mine of local information
- You can't drive to the door (you can stop 50m away to unload, and park 150m away)
- Be prepared for a (short) uphill walk into Fornalutx (it's 5 minutes to the square)
- The pool is unheated so can be cool in May and October
- A 4-night minimum stay, rising to 7 nights in July and August (Sat-Sat)
- 3 cots
- 3 high chairs
- Pushchair to borrow
- Baby bedding
- Baby bath
- Sun tent for the beach
- Kids crockery and cutlery
- Non-slip bath mats
- Bottle warming
- Pool noodles and armbands
Some equipment may need to be requested in advance
English-speaking babysitter available by arrangement.
The well-equipped kitchenand has a microwave and blender among other gadgets. You can book catering if you want; there is a grocery store 4 minutes\' walk away and takeaways and child-friendly eateries nearby too.
- Swimming pool
- Children\'s DVDs
- Satellite TV with children\'s channels
- A wendy house/play tent
- Football net and hammocks in garden
- A groaning games cupboard and toy chest filled with board games, ELC toys, Duplo, Lego and more, appropriate for toddlers to teens
- Playstation, Wii and Xbox in the TV room
- Sand toys
- Port de Soller has a safe sandy beach with a PADI dive centre and watersports
- Tennis lessons with an English coach are available in Soller
- Nearby riding stables run private and group lessons
- Boutique Villa
- 4 bedrooms
- Self-catering (chef on request)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Creche / Kids Club
- Car recommended
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Concierge Service
Ground Floor: you enter the house through French doors off the large shady veranda, to find an indoor dining area which flows through an archway into a contemporary kitchen. There's also a cosy TV room with satellite TV and a record player.
First Floor: a wide staircase leads to an elegant salon full of black marble, a range of books, French furniture (including a 19th-century sofa with velvet cushions), an open fireplace and exceptional views. There's a small study, and opposite this is the Master Suite, which used to be a photographic studio, has a Balinese emperor-sized four-poster, slate floors and a gorgeous ensuite bathroom with freestanding oval bathtub and walk-in riverstone shower.
Second Floor: superking double Bedroom 2 is directly above Bedroom 1 with the same large footprint. Bedroom 3 is a large king double with a private terrace with fantastic mountain views and Bedroom 4 is a superking double bedroom (which can be made up as a twin). All three bedrooms have their own ensuite bathrooms.
All bathrooms have fluffy bathrobes, slippers (a gift for booking through i-escape), hairdryers and custom-blended organic toiletries including hand-made soaps. Three of the bedrooms have large custom built Mallorquin wardrobes; the twin has a chest of drawers. All rooms have orthopaedic mattresses and 400-thread count Egyptian cotton bedlinen on the beds, voile or heavy raw linen curtains, and air-conditioning.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Washing machine
Catering is on request. But budding chefs will have fun in the well-equipped kitchen complete with induction hob, American fridge, oven, microwave, dishwasher, blender, toaster, kettle, blow torch and countless other cook’s toys. Your generously packed welcome basket includes wine, beer, all the usual breakfast basics (tea, coffee, milk, juice, bread, butter, bacon, eggs, jam, honey, cereals, yoghurt) plus a whole cooked chicken, vegetables, rice, pasta and home-made cake - enough for the first 24-36 hours before you need to stock up again! If you have any special requests or dietary restrictions do mention this when booking.
There are some lovely spaces to sit and eat. Take breakfast al fresco on the palm- and olive-planted terrace, enjoy a poolside barbecue on sunny afternoons, at night dine indoors and in style at the solid oak table which seats 10, and can extend to 14 if you have visitors.
The village shop in Fornalutx is incredibly well-stocked and includes a butcher’s counter, a wine section and in-house bakery. Otherwise, drive down the hill for 3 minutes to the Co-operativa Agricolo Sant Bartolemo selling organic local produce plus fantastic Soller olive oil, almonds and oranges. If you don’t feel like cooking, Fornalutx boasts bars, cafés and restaurants including C'an Antuna, a typical Mallorquin restaurant with spectacular terrace views of the Valle de los Naranjas - the King of Spain is a regular guest.
- Chef on request
- Full kitchen
- Kids' meals
- Restaurants nearby
- Welcome hamper
- Chill out by the lap pool (13m x 3m); although unheated it is delightful to swim in from May-October
- Enjoy a culinary/wine tour
- Go hiking: try the Sa Figuera path running from Fornalutx to the Port de Soller (2hrs) or a spectacular circuit round the beautiful Tossals Verds massif with a stop at the pretty refugi (hut). Mountain guides can be arranged
- Head to Port de Soller for all things nautical, including a dive school, fishing charters, lively bars and a very safe, sandy beach for small children
- Take the scenic coastal road to Cala de Deia where you will find a stunning cove offering sublime snorkelling and a cliff top restaurant, C’as Patro March, serving a delicious catch of the day
- Sit in the shady main square in Fornalutx sipping an ice-cold beer and watching the world go by
- There are fine clay tennis courts at Soller Tennis Club, with private coaching by arrangement
- Culture: Discover the world of Chopin and Georges Sand in Valldemossa, visit the Deia International Music Festival (March to September) or take 'El Tren' from Soller to Palma to see the latest exhibition at Es Baluard, the fabulous contemporary art museum in Palma
- For cycling, Tramuntana Tours in Soller can arrange bicycle hire and tours by prior arrangement
- Son Termens golf course is a 15-minute drive towards S'Esglaieta through the Soller tunnel
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Private guided tours
- Scuba diving
- Shopping / markets
Best Time to go
Our Top Tips
The Fornalutx Hideaway is on the edge of pretty village, Fornalutx, close to the Serra de Tramuntana mountains, in the North West of Mallorca.
Palma (35km). Click on the links below for a list of airlines.
From the Airport
From Palma get a taxi (there are plenty outside the arrivals building it's and a 40min drive - see Rates) or hire a car if you plan to explore the island.
see our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be given you to once your booking is confirmed through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Mallorca and getting around
- Palma 35.0 km PMI
- Beach 6.0 km
- Shops 0.5 km
- Restaurant 0.5 km