A rustic-chic hideaway at the foot of the Tramuntana mountains, with fantastic food and warm welcome: a firm favourite”
Italian-Kenyan by birth, Paola is a trained cook, and her homegrown dinners are a big draw, enjoyed in a lovely, candlelit, indoor-outdoor dining space. There is also a clutch of excellent local restaurants; this isn't a place to diet. But spend some time hiking and cycling in the glorious Tramuntana mountains (James will show you routes, or guide you if he's free), and you'll deserve the fabulous food and wine come sunset.
- If you want a boutique bolthole to escape and recharge, with simple pleasures and fine food, within 45 mins of a well-connected airport, look no further
- We loved the bucolic setting, surrounded by fields with the rugged Tramuntana mountains as a backdrop; views are incredible
- Great rates include a superb breakfast
- Only 11 rooms (a mix of doubles, twins and family rooms), which maintains the peace and personal service
- It's also well placed for day trips to Lluc, Pollensa, Alcudia and beaches
- The pool is too deep for young children to stand (1.5-2m)
- Some bedrooms have limited headroom
- The room decor is handsome rather than cutting-edge chic
- The delicious dinners are a set menu, and not available on Sundays (but other restaurants are just 2km away)
- You'll need a hire car
Best time to go
Our top tips
Walkers should bring sturdy footwear, a sunhat, a big water bottle and, for offbeat exploration, tough trousers to protect against the tall, sharp-edged pampas grass.”
- Boutique Hotel
- 11 rooms
- Breakfast + other meals on request (Mon-Sat)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
The 11 rooms are spread between the atmospheric old farmhouse and a newer extension. Though simply styled, all are spacious and characterful, with whitewashed walls, beamed ceilings and terracotta-tiled floors. Beds are said to be super-comfortable, with memory-foam mattresses; add the perfect peace of the countryside and you'll sleep deeply - especially if you close the shutters. Smart ensuite bathrooms are lovely, some with Jacuzzi jets in their bathtubs or double sinks. Towelling robes and toiletries add homely comfort.
There are various categories of room to choose from; best are those with a balcony, which allow you to sit and gaze over golden fields and up to the craggy Tramuntana mountains. All you'll hear is the tinkling of goat bells.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- DVD player
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
Paola's mantra is 'everything is fresh, most of it is local and nothing is frozen.' Veg and fish come from the local markets, and the style of cooking is 'a bit of Italian, a bit of Mallorquin but always Mediterranean.'
Four-course dinners are served Monday-Saturday during high season, and the menu changes daily. Highlights are tortelloni filled with pumpkin and sage, sea bass with mango and avocado, and a slow-roast lamb shoulder. Puddings are deliciously indulgent (tiramisu, lemon tart, that sort of thing) and James keeps the Mallorcan wines flowing.
Breakfast is a superb buffet of local meats, several cheeses, homemade breads, fresh fruit and a homemade cake. Eggs and bacon can be cooked to order. For a change of scene or light lunch, there are a clutch of excellent local restaurants or you can pre-order filled baguettes at breakfast.
- Children's meals
- Restaurants nearby
- Hike marked trails into the pine-shaded valleys and limestone foothills nearby. One leads up to the cool springs and fir forests of Binifaldo; another winds up to Lluc monastery, where the blue-robed choristers of Es Blauets sing mass every morning. James can drive you to or from the trailhead for a small charge, and will often guide you for free, if he's not busy. A 20-min drive brings you to Alaro, whose mountaintop castle can be scaled via a beautifully engineered mulepath winding up the cliffsides
- Swimming: aside from the big square pool, there are long sandy beaches in the bays of Pollensa and Alcudia (20 mins’ drive), and smaller coves at San Vicente (30 mins) and Formentor (40 mins). All of these can get crowded in midsummer
- Sports: there are mountain bikes to hire at the finca, a riding school nearby, a tennis court (with free access for Ametler guests) less than 1km away, and several golf courses within a short drive. Paola has a friend with a boat in Alcudia for fishing trips
- Touring: there are some lovely market towns nearby, including local Caimari (the best olives and oil on the island), pretty Campanet (which also has caves and a Vauclusian spring), vibrant Pollensa (art & textile shops, cafés & restaurants, and a summer music festival), and industrial Inca (the centre of Mallorca’s leather industry)
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Mountain biking
- Museums / galleries
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
Families are welcome at this relaxed and simple hotel, and kids will enjoy the pool and gardens. Best for active outdoorsy kids who will enjoy mountain biking and walking.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Double Rooms can fit a baby cot or rollaway bed; Junior and Master Suites can fit 2 baby cots or rollaway beds; the Family Suite has 2 bedrooms (kingsize and twin) plus space for a baby cot; the Double Double Suite has 2 double/twin bedrooms, a double sofabed and 2 single foldaway beds (max occupancy 8 but this would be a squeeze!)
Available by arrangement.
Most baby monitors stretch from the rooms to the dining terrace
Baby cots and highchairs.
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids' menu (homemade burgers, pasta, homemade pizza, aubergine parmigiano, chicken escallopes etc). Meals can either be served at 6:30pm or at 8pm with the parents
Kids Activities on site:
- Swimming pool
- Children's DVDs
- Shady gardens to play hide and seek
Kids Activities nearby:
- Beaches (20 minutes' drive)
- Mountain bikes to hire, trails to follow
- Horse riding
- Tennis courts
- Fishing trips from Alcudia
Families Should Know:
The unheated pool is 1.5-2m deep throughout and not fenced
- Airport: 45 minutes
- Hospital: 15 minutes
- Shops: 5 minutes' drive (Moscari)
Hotel Son Ametler is just outside the village of Moscari in the northwest of Mallorca.
Palma (44km). Click on the links below for a list of airlines serving this airport.
From the Airport
Transfers can be arranged through the hotel but you'll probably want a hire car to explore the local area; there's no public transport that easily reaches here. See our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when your booking is confirmed through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Mallorca and getting around
- Palma 44.0 km PMI
- Beach 22.0 km
- Shops 2.0 km
- Restaurant 2.0 km