Small, stylish agroturismo hotel and villa for 2-4 set amongst lush grounds in Orient, a tiny village surrounded by gorgeous scenery”
This is an ideal place to recharge your batteries: laze in the garden by the main infinity pool admiring the vistas, dine on fresh organic produce (the hotel is surrounded by apple and cherry orchards), have a massage or go hiking, riding or biking in the surrounding Tramuntana Mountains. Inside there are cosy sitting rooms, an honesty bar and billiard and card tables. Couples will hardly be able to tear themselves away to explore the nearest beaches (Soller), which are all within 30 minutes' driving.
- Fabulous mountain and valley views
- Relaxing, peaceful and tranquil atmosphere with lots of pretty nooks for hiding away
- A good-sized swimming pool set grounds, plus 150 hectare estate of orchards, trails and its own waterfall
- The charming Colom family are incredibly welcoming
- Dinner, a daily-changing menu of Mediterranean dishes, is exceptional
- Off-the-beaten-track location (a high for some); hiring a car is a must
- Don't expect a hectic nightlife - Orient is tiny but it does have a couple of other restaurants and a bar
- It gets booked up months in advance by returning guests
- The valley has its own microclimate: it can be cloudier in winter compared to the rest of the island, but thankfully slightly cooler in mid-summer
- You’ll struggle to return to reality!
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 14 rooms + 1 villa for 2-4
- Restaurant (open daily)
- All ages accepted
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Snooker Table
- Bicycles Available
The hotel bedrooms are fresh and elegant, mixing traditional Mallorquin antiques and furnishings (beamed ceilings, terracotta-tiled floors, and wooden beds) with contemporary details (cream fabrics, crisp bed linen and up-to-the-minute bathrooms decked out in travertine marble and polished stucco walls). Rooms come in a range of sizes - some have balconies, others whirlpool tubs - but all are gorgeous and comfortable.
Our favourite rooms are the ones with terraces in particular Superior Double #2 in the main house, which has a sweeping vista of the valley, and the Junior Suites #9-15 which are set in the garden, each with their own patio. For families, Superior Double #8, with its adjoining single room, is a good choice, though it's a bit dark.
There's also a self-catering 2-bedroom villa set 800m from the main finca. We're yet to see it for ourselves, but it looks to be more modern in decor and has the added advantage of a full kitchen and private swimming pool.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Honesty bar
- Internet access
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
Breakfast and dinner are served in a lovely dining room with high beamed ceilings, stone arches and white-washed walls or outside in a very pretty flower-filled courtyard. A simple morning buffet of cereal, fruit, yoghurt, bread, cold cuts, cheese, home-made cake and delicious freshly-squeezed orange juice is laid out for guests. Sandwiches, salads and drinks are offered during the day.
In the evening, a simple 3-course dinner menu (2 choices for each course and changed daily), offers typical Mallorquin home-cooking based on fresh local produce. Perhaps a Fish Soup or Goat's Cheese Salad followed by Hake with Aubergine and Tomatoes or Roasted Shoulder of Lamb with Vegetables, and Pears Belle Helene or Orange Sorbet for desert. You must order dinner in the morning as they buy the ingredients fresh from the market each day. Villa guests are welcome to have breakfast, lunch and dinner at the main hotel, or delivered to their villa (all extra cost).
Guests can relax before or after dinner with a drink from the honesty bar in one of the comfortable sitting rooms (one still houses the huge original olive press).
Orient has a couple of simple restaurants and bars, less than a 5-minute walk away. Alternatively, there are two smart hotel restaurants - L'Hermitage and S'Olivaret which serve good modern Mediterranean cuisine and are both less than a 10-minute drive away.
- Restaurants nearby
- Go hiking to Son Palou's own waterfall, or to the hilltop ruins, where charcoal was produced centuries ago. The hotel has a list of walking excursions starting from the hotel and ranging from 40 minutes to 2 hours
- Soothe tired muscles with an aromatherapy massage or pamper yourself with a one of the visiting therapist's beauty treatments - from a manicure to a full body peeling with sea salt and almond oil.
- Visit the ruins of the Moorish Castell de Alaró a 10 minute drive, followed by a 1 hr steep uphill hike and back down for a fine lunch of slow-cooked lamb at Es Verger
- Scenic drives - the stretch of road from Buñola to Orient is quiet and very beautiful; the Soller-Deia-Valldemossa route along the coast makes a wonderful excursion
- Take a trip to Palma to check out its magnificent Gothic cathedral, stylish boutiques and outdoor cafes, or head to the pretty town of Soller and its nearby beach. Both are only 20 minutes away
- There’s lots more to do in this incredibly diverse and beautiful region, see a few of our favourites in our destination guide
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Horse riding
- Mountain biking
Children are allowed but as the emphasis here is on peace and quiet, the other guests probably won't appreciate noisy kids! There are no babysitting or baby listening facilities but cots and extra beds can be provided in the fina rooms (for an extra cost) and Superior Double #8 has an adjoining room with an extra bed. Families may prefer the private villa, which has 2 super-kingsize or twin bedrooms, a full kitchen for easy self-catering, and a private swimming pool.
Babies (0-1 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Cots Available, Extra Beds Available
Baby cots available on request
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Son Palou is in the heart of the Tramuntana mountain range - in the tiny village of Orient, 10 km from the town of Alaró and approx 30 minute drive NW from Palma airport and 20 minutes from Soller.
Palma (40km) is the nearest airport; click on the links below for a list of airlines.
From the Airport
Although taxis are readily available at the airport, car rental is highly recommended due to the remote location.
We'd highly recommend that you hire a car in order to make the most of the area; see our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions are provided when booking is confirmed through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Mallorca and getting around
- Palma 40.0 km PMI
- Beach 35.0 km
- Shops 8.0 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km