“A retreat of 21 romantic villas, perched high on a hillside with private plunge pools and incredible views of the Guanacaste Coast”
Catering exclusively to adults, Casa Chameleon will appeal to both romantics and adventurers. The décor is truly chameleon-esque, encompassing artistic influences and styles from all corners of the globe. In the extremely comfortable ocean-view villas the attention to detail is exquisite; from essential oils to candles to exercise equipment, every need has been anticipated. Should you tire of gazing out to sea, there are plenty of distractions on-site, from yoga classes and private spa treatments to sunset sailing cruises. What's more, the newly built, car-free beach town of Las Catalinas - with its rugged mountain bike trails, beaches and ocean activities - is on your doorstep.
Information provided by Casa Chameleon Las Catalinas on 15/01/2021.
Cleaning and hygiene
Safe Travels Stamp from The Cоsta Rica Convention Bureau for strictly following all COVID-19 guidelines and protocols, and ensuring a safe and healthy environment for guests. Staff wear gloves and masks at all times and have temperatures checked daily, guest luggage disinfected, enhanced cleaning and hygiene measures in place. Throw pillows, cushions, and magazines have been removed from guest villas, mini-bars emptied and restocked prior to each guest stay.
Hand sanitiser stations throughout including in guest villas.
Food and drink
Bar seating adjusted, upper level as well as poolside now an additional area for sunset hour to ensure safe distancing.
Table spacing adjusted so six feet between tables. Restaurant team members wear masks. Surfaces sanitised regularly.
Guests can enjoy Mixology Classes and Cooking Demonstrations limited to six guests and these activities will adhere to CDC guidelines for the number of people gathering in one location.
Room service available for a US$5 delivery fee, served from 9am to 8pm.
Transportation around the property and to activities will be handled individually to accommodate safe distancing. Spa services operate on guidelines provided by the CDC and Costa Rican Authorities. Therapists come to the comfort of the guest's own villa, spa therapists required to wear a mask at all times.
Outdoor wellness classes limited to 6 people and private sessions are always available. Guided outdoor adventures available individually and for couples privately. Social distancing practiced throughout all activities, for both team and guest safety where applicable.
For stays of 5 nights or more until 30 April 2021, 1 onsite COVID-19 test per person is included with the reservation.
For shorter stays, daily onsite testing is available for the fee set by the local health affiliate.
Guests receive a final bill via email prior to departure, so won't need to visit the Front Desk to complete check-out.
All vehicles sanitised regularly.
- Peaceful hours spent lounging on sunbeds or cooling off in the plunge pool of your private villa
- Swimming in the spacious zero-edge infinity pool with views that drop away to the ocean
- We loved the ceviche and avocado appetisers - the chef’s specialty - the perfect accompaniment to a passionfruit mojito sundowner
- Walking distance to the shops and facilities of beautiful new beach town of Las Catalinas
- With so many activities on-site or nearby, even adventurous types are unlikely to get bored
- The town of Las Catalinas is still being built and there's a significant amount of construction in the area; noise can sometimes be heard
- When we visited, the hotel was still very new and lacked landscaping, though this is sure to improve as the gardens mature
- The choice at mealtimes, especially lunch, is fairly limited and portions tend to be on the smaller side
- The pool is rather exposed on a windy day when they take down the umbrellas; luckily you have your own private and shady pool to retreat to
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurant (open daily)
- No children under 16
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
Beautifully designed, with luxurious kingsize beds, interiors blend seamlessly with the outside world through a wall of glass that can be completely opened onto your private terrace and salt-water plunge pool. In the bathroom you gaze out to sea from the expansive rainfall shower. Every room is equipped with blue tooth speakers, complimentary insect repellent, candles, yoga mats, flotation devices, coffee, tea, dried fruit and a minibar which includes sun cream and aloe vera. The drinking water comes in tasteful glass bottles as the hotel is working towards becoming plastic-free.
We stayed in one of the splash-out Sunset View Villas, but with such an amazing view from the hotel bar you could happily choose an Ocean View Villa and spend the money saved on cocktails at the sociable palapa. There are also 4 luxurious Suite Villas with a cosy living room area if you're feeling flash and enjoy a little more space to relax.
- Air conditioning
- Coffee maker
- Ipod dock
- Mosquito net
- Plunge pool
- Safe box
Sentido Norte, the hotel’s open-air restaurant, is open all day for tasty poolside snacks, light lunches and dinner. There's an impressive selection of vegan and gluten-free options and, wherever possible, products are sourced from local farms and fishermen.
Breakfast is à la carte, and options include smoothies, egg and tortilla dishes like huevos rancheros, pancakes, fruit and granola. We found the homemade tortillas filling and delicious. The All Day Menu offers mostly lighter options and was the least exciting meal of the day. If you're hungry consider the hearty Costa Rican casados - a local speciality - choosing from chicken, fish or vegan varieties.
Freshly caught seafood is the main star of the farm and Ocean-to-Table Dinner Menu. Our waiter recommended an amazing avocado ceviche dish, and the seared 'fish of the day' was excellent. Finish off with the flourless chocolate cake.
- Coffee maker
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Walk down to the local beach, Playa Danta, or ask the concierge to take you there by golf cart (2 minutes)
- Enjoy an adrenaline-fuelled outing to Rincón de la Vieja - a national park with an active volcano where you can zipline over canyons, rappel down waterfalls, relax in thermal springs and rush down the whitewater river on an inner tube
- Hire a car and visit some of Guanacaste's fabulous beaches, markets and restaurants at your own pace
- Take a sunset catamaran sailing trip for snorkelling, whale- and dolphin-watching and bottomless sunset cocktails
- Explore the local area by stand-up paddleboard, kayak or mountain bike - all are available for rent at Pura Vida Ride in Las Catalinas
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Horse riding
- Museums / galleries
- Plantlife / flora
- Traditional cultures
- Well being
Casa Chameleon is perched on a hillside on the edge of the new resort town of Las Catalinas in Guanacaste province, overlooking the Pacific Ocean.
Liberia (42 km / 1 hour's drive) has regular flights from the US and Canada, and limited flights from UK. From UK & Europe, there's a wider range of flights to San José (250 km); then it's a 4-hour drive or short internal flight.
From the Airport:
We recommend booking a transfer with the resort - you’ll be met by a friendly driver who knows the roads.
If you want to hire a car, bear in mind that some roads are rough and can be muddy in the green season; book a 4WD. Several bridges have variable water levels; ask staff which route is best.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape
More on getting to Costa Rica and getting around
- Daniel Oduber Quirós (Liberia) 42.0 km LIR
- Juan Santamaría International (San Jose) 250.0 km SJO
- Beach 0.5 km
- Shops 0.5 km
- Restaurant 0.5 km