Three secluded riverfront houses (for 2-4) with sweeping views, daily breakfast deliveries, and boats for pootling down the Douro”
Each of the three houses is rustic yet charming, with plenty of space for a couple or a family (they were previously set up for larger groups, but repositioned in 2020 as a result of covid). Expect natural stone in exposed walls, cool slate floors, and oversized windows that gaze over the river. Housekeepers are on hand to assist whenever you need them, and breakfast is brought to you each morning - a real luxury for a self-catering property. You also get secluded gardens to relax in, a shared swimming pool, free bicycles and boats to borrow. Grab a kayak or paddleboard and spend wholesome days meandering down the Douro, stopping for picnic lunches (available on request) and river swims. We're already dreaming of lazy afternoons on that gorgeous terrace, soaking up the riverside restfulness and those ruby touriga wines.
Information provided by Casas de Pousadouro on 01/03/2021.
1 May 2021
Cleaning and hygiene
Enhanced cleaning and hygiene measures in place
- Located in an extremely quiet spot on the riverbank, with gorgeous views of the Douro from every house
- These are self-catering houses with hotel facilities: breakfast is included, and there's a shared pool and terrace
- Very homely and welcoming, with friendly owners and housekeepers on hand
- Brilliant for families - loads of activities on the river, a swimming pool on site, and free kayaks and bikes to borrow
- With a train station nearby and boats for exploring, car-free holidays are very possible here
- There’s no formal restaurant for lunch or dinner, but meal deliveries from local restaurants can be arranged
- This is a rural part of Portugal with no shops or restaurants within walking distance
- We’ve heard that the property can be tricky to find by car – check your route in advance as mobile signal in the area is weak
- The houses are rustic in style rather than high-end luxury
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique houses
- 3 houses for 2-4
- Breakfast included + meal delivery service
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Bicycles Available
- Laundry Service
The houses have been carefully restored in order to retain their rustic charm. Exposed stone walls and floor-to-ceiling windows help them to blend seamlessly into their natural surroundings, and layouts have been carefully thought out so as to maximise on river views.
Rock House (sleeps 2) is perhaps the most striking of the three, having been built into a cliff. Exposed stone forms one wall, an open staircase skirts the cliff, and a log burner has been cleverly immersed in the rock. The house has a double bedroom, a kitchenette and a living area with gorgeous views.
Ruin House (sleeps 2) is similar, with exposed brick walls in the bedrooms and a living area that protrudes out in order to gaze over the river. It features a double bedroom and a small kitchenette.
Pilot House (sleeps 4-5) is the largest of the three. The downstairs has two walls of floor-to-ceiling windows, so expect lots of natural light and breathtaking views. The kitchen has more space than those in the other houses, and there’s a dining table for 5. Bedrooms are upstairs: one double (ensuite) and one twin (with an adjacent bathroom).
- Air conditioning
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Satellite TV
A breakfast delivery of freshly-baked bread, local cheese, yoghurts and sweet orange juice is brought to you each day, to be enjoyed wherever you please: in your house, on the balcony or down by the river on a sunny morning.
All houses have kitchenettes for preparing other meals, though they aren’t particularly large. More likely, you’ll try the local restaurants. Either dine out (15-min drive), or ask for your meal to be delivered – a real bonus for such a rural property. Gastronomy is a big thing here, so expect lots of delicious local dishes, like pork cheek in red wine or Aroquesa veal steak - each perfectly paired with a Douro wine, of course!
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Dinner by arrangement
- Lunch by arrangement
- Meal delivery service
- Spend a day relaxing at the property: swim in the pool or river, slump in a beanbag on the deck, sip delicious local wines and get dinner delivered - heaven!
- Try kayaking, paddleboarding or jet-skiing on the river
- Explore the Douro by train: a railway line runs right along the banks of the river, stopping at pretty villages and passing directly in front of the property
- Board Pousadouro's own speed boat and zip along the river
- Go walking in the hills or along the river banks – maps are available to borrow
- Learn more about the region at the Douro Museum in Regua
- Visit the Eça De Queiroz Foundation to learn about one of Portugal’s most famous writers.
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Horse riding
- Jet skiing
- Museums / galleries
- Private guided tours
- Well being
- Wine tasting
There's so much for families here, and all ages are welcome. There are twin beds (in one house), kitchenettes for self-catering and plenty of space for youngsters. You get daily breakfast deliveries, and picnic lunches or restaurant deliveries are available on request. There's a shared swimming pool for splashing about in - or the river! Bicycles and kayaks are free to borrow, and boat trips depart from the private dock.
Family friendly accommodation:
Pilot House is perfect for a family of 4-6, with its a slightly bigger kitchenette and a more spacious living area. There's a cot and an extra bed available to borrow.
- High chair
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Swimming in the pool or river
- Kayaks and bikes free to use
Kids Activities nearby:
- Train rides
- Boat trips on the Douro
Families Should Know:
Balconies are unfenced so take care of children when near the river
- Airport: 75 mins' drive
- Hospital: xx
- Supermarket: 15 mins' drive
Casas de Pousadouro is located on the north bank of the Douro river in Portugal's Baião district. It's 75 mins' drive from Porto, and four hours from Lisbon.
Although there's a small regional airport at Vila Real, most people fly into Porto.
Travelling by car is the quickest way to reach the property, and you will find it useful to have your own transport for exploring and dining out. See our car rental recommendations.
The scenic Douro railway line, which begins in Porto, runs right past the houses. The nearest station, Aregos, is less than 1km away; taxis are available, and it's walkable without luggage. But be aware that for most shopping and dining trips, you would need to either use taxis or their meal delivery service.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Porto 84.0 km OPO
- Beach 81.0 km
- Shops 5.0 km
- Restaurant 5.0 km