“Boutique bolthole meets stylish B&B, this gorgeously restored chateau near Auxerre is a grown-up getaway for lovers of art, nature and wine”
A secluded haven surrounded by six hectares of stunning woodland, the chateau is a miracle of detailed attention. Its six elegant rooms and hallways are little galleries of art and sculpture specially commissioned by Dutch hosts Johan and Pieter. Outside, the manicured grounds boast a heated pool beside a spacious sun terrace and dining area (where Johan can whip up a feast of local produce). After a leisurely breakfast, take off and explore the historic grandeur of nearby Vézelay and Fontenay. Potter around the markets at Chablis and Auxerre. Or stroll around a vineyard or two (or three) before returning for a sauna and steam in the chateau's spa. Later, rejuvenate with a glass of something chilled as the sun sets over the Montigny-la-Resle valley. It's the perfect romantic setting for blush and Burgundy.
- All the elegance of a country hotel but with the warmth and welcome of a family establishment
- Superb cuisine. The chateau’s menu is organic, locally sourced, seasonal (and mainly vegetables) – and there’s a plethora of fine-dining experiences in the local area
- Lots of activities to suit every mood – from leisurely (sightseeing, shopping, wine-tasting) to energetic (hiking, climbing, cycling and other sports)
- Secluded and quiet, it’s well away from the tourist hotspots
- Dinner isn’t served in the chateau every night – and guests are required to book well in advance
- No air conditioning, though portable units are available
- Given the ethos of sophisticated elegance and relaxation, it isn’t suitable for children. Pets are not allowed
- A car is a must if you want to get out and about, especially to eat
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Adults only (over 16s)
- Open all year
- Heated Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
There are six rooms in total, three in the main house (Irancy, Chablis and Saint Bris) and three in the grounds (Noyers, Fontenay and Vézelay). Each is individually decorated, some in the chateau-style of period furniture and antiques, others in a loft-style with a more minimalist, contemporary feel.
The largest is the Noyers sur Surein suite (in the former caretaker’s house) which is a self-contained home with kitchen, dining room and living area – all under a vaulted 17th-century roof. The best views are to be had in the Saint Bris suite, which looks out over the magnificent lawns.
For many, the real standouts are the Fontenay and Vézelay suites, situated in the old farmhouse overlooking the pool. Both are on two storeys (with spiral staircases) and decorated in a modern design. All the suites have kingsized beds and private bathrooms, and two can comfortably host extra guests.
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Ipod dock
Breakfast is the main offering and typically ‘continental’ – fresh bread, local honey, cereals, patisserie and seasonal fruit. Throughout the day, you can pick from the honesty bar, which has snacks and soft drinks. From June to September, Johan will prepare meals on Saturday nights provided there’s enough demand and guests book 24 hours ahead. The chateau also offers a 'gourmet platter' for lunch or dinner. All food is local and organic and features dishes such as Burgundy cheese puffs, gazpacho and fresh trout.
Further afield, the world is your oyster. Fine diners should head to Le Jardin Gourmand in Auxerre for classic French cuisine (foie gras, Brittany lobster, Siemmenthal sirloin), Soufflot in Irancy (€28 for three courses) or Maison Paillot in Noyers-sur-Sereine, famed for its meat dishes – there’s a boucherie and deli just next door. Au Fil du Zinc in Chablis is also a magnet for food lovers. The menu is seasonal but lamb cutlets and rare (very rare) roast beef would be typical fare.
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Laze and lounge by the 20m heated outdoor pool, indulge yourself in the spa (sauna, massages, yoga sessions) or book an electric bike and take a tour of the local wine region and spectacular Burgundy countryside
- Amble among the stalls at the colourful street markets of Chablis, Toucy and Auxerre sampling delicious local produce. Lovers of knick-knacks should try the markets of Pourrain, Aillant Sur Tholon and Mézilles
- The medieval town of Noyers-sur-Serein regularly features in lists of the most beautiful towns in France – a maze of timbered houses, turrets, lanes and squares. Begin with a stroll along the river Serein and see where the day takes you
- History buffs can lose themselves in the cavernous grandeur of the Basilique de Vézelay
- Wander the beautiful grounds of Fontenay Abbey, the oldest Cistercian abbey in the world
- For the more active, there’s a wide range of sporting activities for all levels, including cycling, golf, hiking and rock climbing
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Shopping / markets
- Wine tasting
The chateau recommends that children be at least 16 to stay. In fairness, there’s not much to occupy children and younger teens.
Chateau de la Resle is situated in the heart of Burgundy, between Auxerre and Chablis. It's a two-hour drive south of Paris.
Paris Orly is the nearest airport (90 minutes by car). Click on the links below for a list of airlines serving this airport.
There are direct trains from the Paris Bercy station into Auxerre (1h45), about a 20-minute drive away. There is car hire available at the station and parking spaces in the chateau grounds. The chateau can arrange transfers to and from the station (approx €45 each way). Alternatively, ride the Eurostar to Paris’ Gare du Nord, hire a car and drive to the chateau.
We recommend hiring a car to get here, partly for ease and mainly so you have the freedom to explore the region. See our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to France and getting around
- Paris Orly 165.0 km ORY
- Beach 450.0 km
- Shops 10.0 km
- Restaurant 10.0 km