“A luxurious beach resort that ticks all the boxes: smart villas, an enormous infinity pool, a tropical spa and sea views from every spot”
It's hidden among leafy foliage on a private beach, and the surroundings are kaleidoscopic: brilliant-green jungle alight with fiery orange bird-of-paradise flowers, a chalky white beach dotted with cream parasols, and a shimmering turquoise sea. Hammocks swing beneath palm trees and frogs hop across the lawns while soothing jazz sounds drift over from the bar. The 36 villas, each with a private terrace, are all perfectly positioned to take in that glorious view. We spent our days flitting between the infinity pool and the beach, pausing to have massages at the tropical spa or to take paddleboards out along the coast. Evenings began with 2-for-1 cocktails at happy hour (double Aperol spritz, anyone?) and culminated with fresh seafood feasts served alfresco on the restaurant’s lantern-lit terrace. A few courses later, we stumbled back along the beach to our villa and slept to the rhythmic sound of gentle waves. All holidays should end like this.
- The secluded, tropical setting feels a million miles from Vietnam’s hectic cities; this is the perfect place to round-off your holiday, whether couples, friends or families
- The hotel’s beach is completely private and is cleaned every morning
- The villas feel very luxurious, each with a large, ocean-facing terrace, an enormous bed and a rain shower with heavenly toiletries
- The food is outstanding and beautifully presented
- Happy hour at sunset is magical
- Luxury comes at a price. Bookings are fully non-refundable and a USD60 deposit per day is required
- Keeping the beach clean is a big task and it isn’t always possible for the hotel to keep on top of it; littering is a constant battle in Vietnam
- Films are projected onto a big screen on the beach during the evenings: an unwanted distraction when dining in the restaurant
- You’ll need to drive or take a taxi to shops and restaurants, but the secluded location is what you’re here for
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurant and bar
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
- Laundry service
All 36 villas sit in neat lines at the back of the beach, each perfectly positioned to face the sea. They are classically Vietnamese in style, modelled on the traditional architecture of Hoi An. Interiors are minimalist, with wooden beams, whitewashed walls and crisp white linens. At turndown service, you get chocolates on the pillows and a little rolled up scroll with a Vietnamese folk story written on it - cute! All rooms have private terraces with outdoor seating for admiring the view.
The Beach Front Villas get front-row seats. Inside, there’s an enormous bedroom with polished wooden floors and a large bathroom with twin sinks, a semi-outdoor rain shower and some of the best-smelling toiletries we’ve come across. The Sea View Villas are exactly the same, but come at a slightly cheaper price tag due to their location one row back.
Jacuzzi Villas occupy the third row and are truly spoiling. These are dubbed the ‘honeymoon suites’ thanks to their outdoor hot tubs. At the back you’ll find the Two-Bedroom Pool Villas, set on two floors with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room and a large terrace with a private swimming pool - good for families. Note that the views aren’t as good from here as they are partially obstructed by a wall for extra privacy.
- Air conditioning
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- DVD player
- Safe box
The food at Chen Sea Resort is exquisite. Choose to eat in airy, sea-facing Il Ristorante, at chilled-out Ghe Bar below, or on the lantern-lit jetty as the water glistens beneath you.
We chose to lunch at the bar and tucked into juicy banh mi washed down with a local beer and accompanied by some gentle electrojazz tunes. Dinner at the restaurant was a three-course feast of tuna tartare, mackerel wrapped in banana leaves, and a pistachio parfait with mango sorbet. Dining on the terrace in the cool evening breeze with a glass of crisp Chilean wine in hand felt very special indeed.
The breakfast buffets are extraordinary - squeezing into your swimming gear afterwards might be a struggle! You’ll find everything under the sun: homemade jams, yoghurts and cakes, fresh pastries, eggs cooked to order, Vietnamese noodles, and every flavour of juice you can think of.
Don't miss happy hour at sunset, when everyone flocks to the jetty for 2-for-1 drinks. Ask the hotel for recommendations if you want to head out for dinner afterwards.
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Room service
- Chill out at the hotel: borrow a kayak, paddleboard or sailing boat and explore the coast; play beach volleyball or relax with a massage at the tropical spa
- Start the day with a morning yoga class on the beach - free for all hotel guests
- Sign up to a cookery class and learn how to cook authentic Vietnamese dishes with Chen Sea’s chef
- If you're feeling adventurous, hire a moped and explore the coast - don't miss beautiful Sao Beach in the southeast
- Head to Long Beach and visit Pearl Gallery: a small shop selling locally cultivated pearl necklaces and earrings
- Take a daytrip to Phu Quoc National Park, in the north of the island, and go hiking or wildlife spotting – look out for long-tailed macaques, otters, slow loris and hornbills
- Join a snorkelling or diving trip to the An Thoi archipelago, a group of pristine islands off the southern tip of Phu Quoc – expect idyllic white sand and crystal-clear waters
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Cooking classes
- Plantlife / flora
- Private guided tours
- Scuba diving
Children are very welcome at Chen Sea Resort & Spa, and there's plenty to keep them entertained. There's a dedicated sports manager, and all the watersports equipment (kayaks, paddleboards, windsurfs) is free to use, and there's a volleyball court set up on the beach. The sea is shallow and warm, and the pool has a separate shallow section for children. Extra beds and baby cots can be provided.
Family friendly accommodation:
Sea View Villas and Beach Front Villas can interconnect to sleep 4-6, and the Two-Bedroom Pool Villas can sleep up to five people - plus they have the benefit of their own private swimming pool. All villas can fit an extra bed or baby cot.
Babysitting is available on request.
- High chairs
- Baby cots
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
The beach bar menu features lots of kid-friendly dishes like pizzas and burgers as well as smoothies and Asian dishes such as spring rolls and chicken satay
Kids Activities on site:
- Sailing in Hobie cats and catamarans
- Beach volleyball
- Kids pool
Kids Activities nearby:
- Beaches to explore
- Airport: 25 minutes
- Hospital: 25 minutes
- Nearest shop: 10-15 minutes
Chen Sea Resort & Spa is situated on Ong Lang Beach on Phu Quoc Island, which is 50km off the south coast of Vietnam.
You'll need to fly to Phu Quoc from mainland Vietnam. There are daily flights from Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi with various carriers.
From the Airport
The hotel offers transfers from the airport (20km), or you can take a taxi.
Quite a few ferry companies operate hydrofoils between Rach Gia on the mainland and Duong Dong on Phu Quoc. The journey takes about two and a half hours.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Phu Quoc (Duong Dong) 20.0 km
- Beach 0.0 km
- Shops 1.0 km
- Restaurant 1.0 km