“Shake up your chakras at Bali's most luxurious health retreat, deep within the rainforest overlooking the stunning River Ayung”
The incredible Residences and Villas display the COMO trademark Asian-meets-European decor. Alang-alang roofs shelter hand-carved furniture and Chinese antiques; baths are carved from Sumban stone. Each has a private infinity pool. But the real wow factor is the holistic element - this is where people come to detox, de-stress and revitalise their lives for good. Sit in the healing spring, learn Qi Gong or meditation and pamper yourself with Ayurvedic treatments.
- One of the world's most beautiful hotels with 9 acres of stunning tropical grounds, riverside forest and plunging hill terraces
- Award-winning spa offering a host of holistic therapies and fitness activities
- One of Bali's most luxurious hotels with huge, uniquely styled Residences (each with four or five suites) plus 4 Private Villas and 5 Retreat Villas, each with their own pool
- Impeccable 5* service
- Amazing architecture which blends into the natural surroundings
- Fab healthy organic food
- Even at full occupancy, it feels very private and secluded
- A 20-minute drive from Ubud, the setting is pretty remote and once you're there, you probably won't leave the grounds
- You may have to share your pool and living areas with other guests. For total privacy book an entire Residence or one of the self-contained Villas
- The stone steps leading down to the river are steep and not suitable for the less agile; once you're down, it's a heart-pumping climb back to the top!
- It's not cheap - but it is definitely worth it
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Spa Hotel
- 4 + 17 suites + 9 villas
- Restaurant and bar (open daily)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Concierge Service
- Tennis Court
Scattered among the jungle clearings above the Ayung River are 22 suites and rooms grouped together in five architecturally distinctive Residences, each with its own infinity pool, a large airy living-dining pavilion, and a personal butler to fulfil your every need. The terraces overlook tropical gardens or misty paddy fields; all you can hear is birdsong and the river below. Inside, Indonesian artefacts, Mongolian rugs, Burmese wood carvings and Chinese medicine chests sit alongside traditional Balinese alang-alang roofs and polished teak floors.
There are also 9 more contemporary styled 1-3 bedroom Villas with private pools, set far enough apart to give maximum privacy. Beds in both the Residences and Villas are kingsize with net canopies; all the mod cons are in place. And as you'd expect, the bathrooms are equally stunning, with vast stone tubs, outdoor showers (one even has its own waterfall), fluffy dressing gowns and rejuventating COMO Shambhala toiletries.
- Air conditioning
- CD player
- Coffee / tea making
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Extra beds
- Plunge pool
- Safe box
Healthy eating is a very important part of a stay at The Estate and as you'd expect, the food is organic and locally sourced; raw fruits and veggies are a must (but meat and fish also feature); exotic fresh juices abound; wheat-free breads tastier than they sound. Best of all, meals are often cooked with Balinese or South East Asian spices so everything has a wonderfully exotic flavour. The resident nutritionist will draw up your Personal Eating Plan, should you wish to play at being an A-lister.
Breakfast and dinner are served in the Kudus House – a 150-year-old former Javanese residence perched above the gorge - or in the all day contemporary Glow restaurant. But if you don't fancy being sociable, just ask for it to be delivered to your residence. Menus are mouth-watering. Think stir-fried buckwheat soba noodles, wing beans and seaweed with pickled cucumber and spicy lemon dressing, or chargrilled gindara with roast vegetable, preserved lemon gremolata and saffron yoghurt. Desserts may be healthy, but choices like strawberry agar agar with vanilla and cashew nut sorbet sound sinfully good - and there's no guilt factor to contend with. The range of foods accommodates food intolerances and features little salt or sugar.
The spa also offers 24-hour room service and picnic lunches served by the water garden. Tuck into healthy curries, skewered meats and fruit sorbets as you relax - all served in bamboo steamers and banana-leaf wraps. Breakfast might include Bircher muesli or porridge with coconut milk, almonds and rambutan blossom honey or ricotta and poppy seed hotcake with bananas and honeycomb.
- Coffee / tea making
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
Whilst you can, of course, come here purely to relax, guests are encouraged to fill out a pre-arrival questionnaire so that their experts can create a tailormade programme ideal for kick-starting a whole new you. Most guests check-in for a 3, 5 or 7-day wellness programme - be inspired by these ideas below, or click here for full details:
- Complimentary classes and group activities are scheduled throughout the day, including Yoga, Pilates, Qi Gong, guided hikes, meditation, aqua therapy, cooking demonstrations and specialist learning seminars
Want to get superfit? Opt for the Active Adventure Challenge: brace yourself for mountain biking (including an ascent to the crater rim of Mount Batur), hiking among the villages, temples, rice paddies and jungle gorges surrounding The Estate, rock climbing, whitewater rafting on the mighty Ayung River and outdoor circuit training – all tuition and equipment provided. Or work out in the gym and sweat it out on the tennis court
- Less strenuous options include: Cleansing, Ayurvedic, Detox and Rejuvenation and Stress Management programmes. Personal programmes can also be designed to compliment the scheduled daily activities and focus on a particular individual goal
- Yoga retreats are held here throughout the year - please enquire for more details
If you'd prefer to just bliss out and take things at your own pace, there's a whole wealth of indulgences on offer. Listen to birds, insects and the pounding River Ayung as you enjoy exotic body treatments and flower-filled plunge baths. Get pummelled by natural spring water in the Water Gardens. Got an ongoing muscle problem or deep-rooted stress? Treat yourself to a specialised lymphatic drainage deep-tissue massage or relaxing hot-stone massage
- COMO Shambhala runs a number of Retreat Weeks throughout the year, with visiting experts (usually masters in yoga or pilates) holding courses and seminars
- The Estate is a 20-minute drive from Ubud, Bali's cultural hub with galleries, markets and Hindu temples. Personal cultural tours can be arranged
- And of course, you can just relax. Flop by your own infinity pool with a fresh tropical juice and take in the spectacular rainforest around you. Take a leisurely stroll around the staggeringly beautiful grounds of clipped lawns, indigenous jungle and water gardens
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Ayurvedic treatments
- Cooking classes
- Historical sites
- Plantlife / flora
- Well being
Reservations for families with children are welcome if guests book Retreat Villas, Private Villas or an entire Residence. There's a maximum of 1 child under 12 years (free of charge) sharing their parents room. Cots are also free of charge, but are subject to availability. Over 12s pay a supplement for an extra bed.
In the rest of the estate children are not encouraged due to the steep slopes, amount of steps, decorative ponds and drop-off pools which make it unsuitable for young ones.
Family friendly accommodation:
Cots Available, Extra Beds Available
Babysitting available by arrangement
Baby cots available on request
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking