“Classy urban retreat in South Melbourne, with a lively bar, top-class bistro and 15 stylish rooms”
The kitchen, open all day, serves upscale European dishes and bar snacks curated from seasonal produce; it's a popular destination for local foodies. Sundowners on the roof deck are a must, with its 360-degree view of Melbourne’s sparkling skyline. And in Grand Prix season, the hotel is in pole position for all the action, with Albert Park just a 5-minute walk away.
- Perfect for solo travellers, groups of friends or couples
- The friendly staff and buzzing bar make you feel instantly welcome
- The bistro and breakfast menu is deliciously inventive
- Quiet luxury in the 15 rooms: recordable TV, Nespressos, bathrobes
- The hip surrounding neighbourhood: the famous South Melbourne market, plenty of local cafés, bars and shops, and easy access to Melbourne’s delights
- Queen Bedrooms are compact, there are no twin rooms, and the only King Bedroom gets booked up far ahead
- Check in is through the bar - which can be busy in the evenings
- Street parking can be hard to find
- You can't walk to the city centre from here but it's an easy tram ride
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurant & bar (open daily)
- Welcome but not ideal
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
Coppersmith’s bijou white bedrooms are somewhat minimalist, but elevated by luxe touches and freestanding designer pieces. All but one are Queen Bedrooms; compact but with comfy queensize beds and desk space. iPod docks and recordable TV are a treat, as is the Nespresso machine.
Ensuite bathrooms are sleek and streamlined, with rainhead showers and organic Appelles toiletries. Ghd hair straighteners are available on request; a nice touch.
Room 9 has a tiny balcony. Two rooms are specially designed for disabled access and have bigger bathrooms. The popular King Bedroom has big corner windows, more floor space, a bathroom filled with natural light, and generous views of Clarendon Street. Order room service from the bistro downstairs - the ultimate way to unwind at the end of a busy day.
- Air conditioning
- Alarm clock
- Central heating
- Coffee maker
- Coffee tea making
- Cots Available
- Dvd player
- Extra beds
- Ipod dock
- Ironing board
- Safe box
- Satellite tv
Copper, glass and marble twinkle against muted hues of wood and leather in the classy bistro, which retains the traditional feel of a welcoming pub. The menu is inventive and changes frequently, created from seasonal and local produce - we loved our slow-cooked pork, black fig salad and duck from the Great Ocean Road. Leave room for puddings, too: the lemon meringue soufflé with Chantilly cream is a smasher. You’ll find comfort and seasonal goodness on the bar-snack menu - fish pie, burgers, that sort of thing.
Breakfasts are worth lingering over, the exciting menu changing frequently. Perhaps duck egg, comte and chive quiche, or almond pancakes with maple frozen yoghurt. There are always eggs cooked to your liking, and a healthy Bircher museli, and you can have breakfast served in-room for no extra cost.
- Coffee maker
- Coffee tea making
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Explore South Melbourne’s eclectic mix of shops, cafés, restaurants and art galleries, including the vibrant South Melbourne Market on Wednesday, Friday and weekends
- Take a stroll or jog around leafy Albert Park (home to the Australian Grand Prix in April)
- Tram it to St Kilda beach and soak up the summer scene - on Sundays you’ll find a huge craft market sprawling along the Esplanade
- Chapel Street, the city's hipster hangout, has over 1,000 boutiques, street cafés, restaurants, bars, pubs and nightclubs
- Take a tram into Melbourne’s centre to see world-class art at the National Gallery of Victoria and visit some of the museums
- Admire the city's fabulous Victorian architecture then spend a chilled afternoon at the Botanic Gardens
- Come late afternoon, don’t forget to take in the shimmering skyline views from the hotel's roof deck, with a cocktail in hand
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Plantlife / flora
- Shopping / markets
Coppersmith is aimed at adults, though babysitting can be arranged with 12 hours' notice and highchairs are available in the bistro. Kids up to the age of 12 stay for free in parents' room.
Babies (0-1 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
The King Bedroom can fit an extra bed or baby cot, as can the Queen Access Bedrooms.