“A cosy gem in the swish shopping district of Tridente, with intimate, antique-furnished rooms plus an apartment for 2-5”
Crossing Condotti is an intimate downtown pad. Don’t expect a hotel; there are just a handful of rooms in this graceful townhouse, plus a self-catering apartment around the corner. Accommodation is romantic and extremely comfortable, with big beds and antique furnishings, yet the design has a light, delicate feel which makes this bolthole seem particularly serene. You get your own key and the small reception area is staffed during the day - they can book restaurants, tours and theatre tickets for you. There’s no breakfast, though a Nespresso machine in the communal kitchen will get you through until you reach a bar (of which there are many nearby) to breakfast as the Romans do: standing up. It’s great - cosy and quiet, and bang in the centre of town.
- Reasonably priced for the quality of the rooms and the fantastic location by the Spanish Steps
- Nice antique pieces, contemporary art, engravings and paintings in the rooms, plus original high wooden ceilings
- Impressive level of comfort: enticing beds, soft linens, lots of L'Occitane toiletries
- A private and exclusive feel with attentive, friendly staff; manager Davide made us feel completely at home during our 2018 revisit
- The apartment makes a lovely home from home for small groups and families (thanks to its double sofabed),as well as those seeking a little more independence
- No meals on site, but you can help yourself to Nespresso, complimentary soft drinks and biscuits laid out in the communal kitchen (available all day)
- You may hear the quiet murmur of the street outside, but that's a small price to pay for the location
- The Spagna Superior Room has no view (but it's very quiet and the bed is beautifully canopied)
- There's a fee for check-ins after 6.30pm without prior notice
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique townhouse
- 9 rooms + 1 apartment
- Accommodation only
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Concierge Service
There’s a fine mix of antiques throughout, including darkwood chests, marble-topped bedside tables, large oil portraits and unusual silver lamps. Curtains are heavy, romantic drapes caught up in rope ties. Floors are wooden parquet, and all the rooms have beamed wooden ceilings that are typical of older houses in Rome.
The Superior and Deluxe Rooms are snug but not cramped, and furnished with flair. Two of the Superiors interconnect, making them ideal for families. The ground-floor Junior Suite is more spacious and has the added benefit of a private entrance; it also features a tiny patio and a living area (with sofabed). The Master Room is a spacious second-floor hideaway complete with Turkish bath and living area. It can be connected with a Deluxe Room to form a luxurious, light-filled Penthouse Suite, which can sleep up to 6.
Bathrooms are decorated in soft-grey tiling with a suede-like softness, and there is a lavish array of L'Occitane toiletries. Some have bathtubs and handheld rainfall showers, others have rainfall showers (no bathtubs). The Junior Suite and the Master Room have really luxurious bathrooms with Turkish hammams.
Just around the corner is Crossing Corso Apartment (a 2-minute walk away), set in a separate building moments from the Spanish Steps. Guests get a fully equipped 1-bed apartment with 2 shower rooms, a living-dining area (with sofabed), a kitchen and a galleried snug. And thanks to the great concierge service, you can have as much or as little assistance as you like.
- Air conditioning
- Communal kitchen
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
There’s no breakfast served here, but there is a little communal kitchen with a Nespresso machine and a fridge full of complimentary soft drinks and snacks. The Deluxe Rooms, Master Room and Junior Suite each have a Nespresso machine, fridge and drink-making facilities, but that's about it. This encourages you to do as the Romans do and head to a local bar for breakfast - a fresh cornetto (croissant) and a perfect cappuccino. There are numerous cafés just outside the door; pick one bustling with locals!
Guests staying in the Crossing Corso Apartment have a fully equipped kitchen with a fridge-freezer, oven, hob, microwave, dishwasher and coffee maker. There is also a concierge service and complimentary soft drinks. You'll find a list of local shops and supermarkets so you can stock up on Italian produce.
For later in the day, this is an area with loads of excellent restaurants and cafés: try Palatium, the sleek wine bar and eatery run by the Lazio Regional Authority on Via Frattina, or the discreetly popular little café-restaurant La Buvette on Via Vittoria.
- Restaurants nearby
- Being in the middle of glamorous designer district Tridente, the evident thing to do is shop, or, in a more credit-crunch style, window shop. The concentration of shimmering window displays, bijou boutiques and designers in this area makes your head spin
- Any closer to the Spanish Steps and you’d be sitting on them, so these are an obvious stop on your itinerary
- Next to the steps is the charming Keats Museum - the young poet died of consumption in Rome, aged only 24
- At the top of the steps lies Villa Borghese, wonderful parklands that are ideal for a meander, bike ride or picnic, and also contain Galleria Borghese, one of Rome’s finest art galleries, as well as the Museum of Modern Art and the zoo
- Go west from Piazza di Spagna and you’ll reach Piazza del Popolo; go east for Il Vittoriano - the mammoth white-marble, look-at-me victory monument
- You’re also a short walk from the Ara Pacis Museum (a modern alter to the Roman goddess of peace), Piazza Navona and the Pantheon, besides myriad other sights
- First-timers in Rome will love all the usual suspects - the Forum, the Colosseum, Trastevere, St Peter's Square, the Vatican, the Trevi Fountain...
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Plantlife / flora
- Shopping / markets
Children are welcome and Crossing Condotti can supply a cot and arrange babysitting. However, the antiques and grand furnishings mean it’s not ideal for rampaging toddlers.
Babies (0-1 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
The Crossing Corso Apartment is the best option for families, with full self-catering facilities and space for up to 5 (1 double room, a double sofabed, and space for a rollaway bed or baby cot). Two of the Superior Rooms can interconnect, and the Penthouse Suite can sleep up to 6 in 2 double bedrooms plus a sofabed in the living room. The Junior Suite, Master Room and Deluxe Rooms each have space for an extra bed, so can accommodate up to 3.
Babysitting is available by arrangement.
Baby cots are available on request.
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Crossing Condotti is in the centre of Rome's most expensive district, Tridente, just off Piazza di Spagna. You're within easy walking distance of the Spanish Steps, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, the Trevi Fountain and the Tiber.
You've got a choice of 2 airports: Fiumicino (30km), where most international flights arrive; and Ciampino (16km), for domestic and a few international flights.
From the Airport
The hotel can arrange a transfer, or you could hop in a taxi. Alternatively you can take the airport train from Fiumicino into the centre of Rome and then walk or jump on the metro. From Ciampino you can catch the airport bus and then the metro. The nearest metro station to the hotel is Piazza di Spagna.
Taking a car into Rome is no joke, but if you are driving anyway, take the Via Cassia exit from the Grande Raccordo Anulare into the north of the city then follow a good city map. There are paying car parks nearby (enquire when booking). If you want to hire a car, see our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Rome - Leonardo da Vinci-Fiumicino 30.0 km FCO
- Rome - Ciampino 16.0 km CIA
- Beach 27.0 km
- Shops 0.1 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km