Everything about Desierto Azul is curated to have as little impact as possible – the entire property is powered by solar energy, including the heated saltwater infinity pool. Wastewater is recycled for irrigation, plastic is banned and the onsite restaurant is dedicated to plant-based cuisine and the promotion of healthy indulgence. The organic mantra also extends to the cool cowboy-chic design, sumptuous natural furnishings and high-end beauty products. Food is a focus. Onsite food options are vegan specialties including organic breakfasts, and the resort also runs a calendar of plant-based cookery courses in its own kitchen studio.
If you can tear yourself away from the pool and those sunrise/sunset views, nearby Todos Santos is an artistic enclave with shops, markets and eateries where you can while away a balmy afternoon or evening, soaking up the local colour.
- The superb quality of the breakfasts, cocktails and the organic coffee; make sure to take a cooking class while you stay
- Exceptional service – the resort scores almost unanimously perfect scores from guests, who particularly enjoy the intimacy, low-key luxury, personal details and kind but unobtrusive staff
- Very sympathetically designed with regards to its surroundings – wood pergolas, artisanal tiles, linen and organic cotton bedcovers, palm leaf lamps etc – that combine rustic charm with modern elegance
- Usefully located only a few minutes' stroll to the beach, and a 10-minute drive from Todos Santos itself
- An inspirational commitment to all things organic and eco friendly
- You’ll need a car if you want to explore and, although it goes against the sustainability ethos, a 4x4 is recommended because of the rough roads
- With only four rooms, you'll need to book ahead
- The sunbleached minimalist desert aesthetic may not suit all, including the desert scrub in the immediate landscape
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique guesthouse
- 4 rooms
- Breakfast only; restaurants nearby
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Heated Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car recommended
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
There are four in total, each individually configured and all showcasing minimalist desert chic with poured concrete and Crittall-style windows, raffia light shades and wooden shelving, muted colours, and woven hammocks on private terraces.
Nopal room, named after the iconic cactus of the region, accommodates two adults and has a kingsize bed plus separate bathroom and shower room, and looks out over the mystical desert.
The Pitaya room is similar to the Nopal room, but overlooks the infinity pool. Like all rooms at Desierto Azul, the Pitaya also features a working station, minibar, and rainforest shower.
Damiana is a kingsize suite, featuring a separate closet and bathroom area; it has the largest private terrace. With a sofa that can be converted into an extra bed, the Damiana can accommodate three adults.
Torote is a family suite, sleeping up to four adults/children in two queensize beds, with a separate closet, bathroom area, and the spacious terrace has panoramic views of the Sierra de La Laguna mountains.
- Air conditioning
Breakfast is served on the barefoot terrace and is designed to ‘delight all your senses’. The mostly organic continental spread features everything from cold press juices, local yoghurt, coco yoghurt, fresh seasonal fruits, artisanal granola, avocado toast and more, all with vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free options.
But Desierto Azul is on a mission to promote the joys and benefits of eco-friendly eating and offers year-round cookery classes in its studio kitchen. On these you'll learn how to cook whole, unprocessed, fresh, and nutrient-rich food. Courses include healthy breakfasts, anti-inflammatory meals, gluten-free pastry and more. Ask for scheduled classes or private courses.
For more experimental foodies, Todos Santos may not be as bustling as the tourist hotspots of Los Cabos to the south, but there’s plenty of variety on offer. Whether you’re looking for tacos, BBQ grills, Spanish/Mediterranean dishes, sushi or Asian-fusion, the cluster of backstreet tavernas offer something for most palates.
- Coffee maker
- Room service
- Vegetarian options
- Todos Santos is known for its picturesque streets filled with colourful buildings, art galleries, and boutique shops. Take a leisurely stroll through the town centre, visit the historic mission church, and discover local crafts and artwork
- Just a short distance from Todos Santos, you'll find unspoiled beaches perfect for sunbathing, swimming, and surfing. Playa Los Cerritos is a popular spot for surfers of all levels, while Playa La Pastora offers a more secluded and tranquil atmosphere
- Todos Santos is located near the migration route of gray whales, offering a fantastic opportunity to witness them up close. Join a whale watching tour from nearby La Paz or Cabo San Lucas
- Hike through the Sierra de la Laguna Biosphere Reserve, a protected area known for its diverse flora and fauna (birding in particular is excellent, from hummingbirds to motmots, frigatebirds to whistling ducks). Follow scenic trails, discover hidden waterfalls, and enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding landscape
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Cooking classes
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Plantlife / flora
- Shopping / markets
- Whale watching
Children of all ages are welcome and will enjoy the heated swimming pool, and the close proximity to the beach and the great outdoors. Note that there are no extra beds or baby cots but there's no charge if the baby/child sleeps in their parents' bed.
Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Family suite Torote has two queensize beds so can sleep a family of four, and the other suite, Damiana, has a sofa bed for a third person. In addition, a baby/child can sleep in their parents' bed in all four rooms.
- Airport: 1hr20m
Desierto Azul is located in the small town of Todos Santos, in Baja California Sur, which is a peninsula on México’s western coast, just south of the US. It’s based in a quiet area that runs along the coast, known as Las Tunas (or Otro Lado).
Los Cabos International Airport is just over an hour’s drive away in the south and is well served by US and European airlines. Shuttle services and rental cars are widely available although the hotel can also arrange transfers.
Most guests will hire a car to explore the region. See our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- San Jose del Cabo 114.0 km SJD
- Beach 0.8 km
- Shops 0.2 km
- Restaurant 0.9 km