“A heavenly haveli in the remote Rajasthan countryside that perfectly marries next-level luxury with a welcoming family-run ambience”
A cross between a palatial family home and a top-flight hotel, the emphasis here is on informal but exquisite hospitality – Bhavna oversees all the meals and guests dine with their hosts around communal tables. By day you can lounge by the pool, attend a yoga lesson or explore the local town with its twisting alleyways and colourful spice stalls. Later, take a picnic into the countryside, embark on a Jeep safari, or board a heritage train ride through the Aravalli range before returning for a sundowner on the veranda as peacocks frolic by the lake and parakeets swoop overhead. A must-visit rural retreat for those who want to sample the real India.
- Fantastic home-cooked cuisine that introduces guests to the vast variety of local flavours and produce
- Wonderful owners Shatrunjai and Bhavna can provide a wealth of information on the surrounding area
- Shatrunjai also arranges tours of nearby workshops – everything from pottery and jewellery to stone polishing and handicrafts
- A dazzling array of activities: guided jeep-safari tours for leopard spotting, hiking on the Sand Mata trail, visits to the rock caves in the Aravallis, or world-class birdwatching on the lake
- An authentic experience of rural India. This is a place where locals still herd goats, tend dung fires, drive carts and carry firewood on their heads
- Visitors are encouraged to mix and mingle so maybe not the best place if you aren’t the sociable type
- This is mozzie territory so repellent is a must
- Given its rural setting, you’re not exactly spoiled for choice when it comes to restaurants and nightlife
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Heated Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
- Laundry service
There are eight suites in total, each impeccably designed reflecting the local Rajput architecture. Airy and spacious (and air-conditioned), the décor is simple but contemporary – whitewashed walls, marble floors, traditional textiles and pops of colour from stained-glass windows, and all have views over the vibrant flower gardens.
Five of the suites boast kingsize beds, while the others have twin beds – especially suitable for families.
The private bathrooms are almost as big as the rooms and feature walk-in showers and double basins.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- Safe box
Owner Bhavna oversees the kitchen and always tries to offer dishes that reflect the best of traditional Indian home cooking – think lunches featuring chicken Biryani, raita, aloo paratha and tomato chutney. (For less adventurous palates, there’s still pasta or grilled sandwiches).
Evening meals are drawn up daily to take advantage of the latest seasonal and local produce (there’s also a kitchen garden) and foodie guests are welcome to watch and learn the slow-cooking and smoking styles of the local Mewari cuisine. Breakfast is traditionally continental, although an Indian selection is also offered.
For more of a restaurant experience, the nearby Deogarh Mahal hotel also specialises in Mewari cooking but offers other Indian and oriental dishes, too.
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Dinner by arrangement
- Lunch by arrangement
- Organic produce
- Restaurants nearby
- After a morning yoga session on the manicured lawns, you can head into Deogarh and wander the shops and stalls. (Buy some produce and the hotel’s staff will give you a culinary workshop on what to do with it.)
- Climb up to the ruins of the Gokal Fort.
- Take a guided jeep safari to go leopard spotting or hop on the small metre-gauge train for a tour of the Aravalli scrub jungle (take biscuits and bananas to feed the monkeys).
- Go hiking on the Sand Mata trail, ending up at the temple on the peak.
- Other activities include horseback tours, cycling trips, visits to the rock caves in the Aravallis, and separate day trips to the Jain temples of Ranakpur or the spectacular Chittogarh and Kumbhalgarh Forts.
- Owner Shatrunjai also arranges tours of nearby workshops in Deogarh village, such as pottery, jewellery and handicrafts
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Cooking classes
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Jeep safaris
- Plantlife / flora
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
- Traditional cultures
- Well being
Children of all ages are warmly welcomed. Baby cots, bedding and high chairs are available, as are extra beds. There is a play area, plus kids’ books and toys, and bottle warming facilities. The hotel also has a children’s menu, accommodates special mealtimes and offers food all day. The best family rooms are suites 2-5.
Family friendly accommodation:
Suite 2 is the largest room, while suites 3, 4 and 5 open out onto a back garden.
- High chair
- Baby bedding
- Night light
- Bottle warming
- Kids books/toys
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
There are special mealtimes available for kids
Kids Activities on site:
- Large grounds
- Pool with steps where children can sit and play
- Farm with goats
- Family dogs on-site to play with
- Airport: 2.5 hours' drive
- Hospital: 5-minute drive
- Shops: 10-minute walk
Dev Shree is set above the village of Deogarh in the Aravalli Hills. It's 2.5 hours (128km) north of Udaipur, 4.5 hours (275km) south of Jaipur and 3.5 hours (150km) from Jodhpur.
The nearest airports are Udaipur (140km away) and Jodhpur (158km away). Both have internal flights from Delhi, Mumbai (Bombay), Jaipur and other Indian cities.
From the Airport
The hotel is happy to arrange transfers - enquire when booking.
The nearest station is Deogarh, 1km away.
Dev Shree is an easy drive from Narlai, Ghanerao, Nimaj, Kishangarh, Jodhpur and Rohet, and a longer drive from Jaipur, Dungarpur and Bambora. Our Tailormade Tour Operator can arrange a car with a driver for a single journey or for a longer bespoke tour.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Udaipur 140.0 km UDR
- Jodhpur 158.0 km JDH
- Beach 130.0 km
- Shops 1.0 km
- Restaurant 1.0 km