A spacious and stylish beach house right on the dunes of Britannia Bay - an idyllic seaside escape for 10”
This is a wonderful place to come and chill with a group of friends or your family. Up to 10 guests can be absorbed effortlessly into the space (5 double bedrooms plus a bunk room for kids), and self-catering is a pleasure in the extremely well-equipped kitchen. The coast above Cape Town is off the tourist track, but we'd say that's reason in itself to visit. Gloriously empty beaches, charming fishing villages, better value for money, and world-class restaurants in Paternoster.
- The architecture, openness, space and light are stunning
- Spotting seals, dolphins and sea birds from the patio. In season, you may even see Southern Right Whales on their migration
- Great for families; bags of space, right on an unspoilt beach, and pool toys and boogie boards to keep kids amused
- Sundowner drinks, looking out to sea, with candle lanterns lighting your boardwalk
- The discreet live-in houseman, Chris, who makes fantastic coffee, cleans up after you and generally ensures you have a fantastic stay
- There are no twin rooms
- Can be windy on the beach, but the pool is completely sheltered
- It’s quite a way from Cape Town (2 hours' drive) but once we got here, we thought it well worth the trip
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Beach Villa
- 6 bedrooms
- Self-catering (restaurants nearby)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Bicycles Available
- Boogie boards to borrow
The 5 double bedrooms are uncluttered and spotlessly clean. Décor embraces sea colours (soft blues, faded greens) and quirky vintage sports gear hangs on the walls. Super-comfortable beds are fitted with crisp, white cotton linens and there are thoughtful touches like chambray robes, hot-water bottles and swimming/beach towels. There's no air con but each room has a fan.
You can gaze at the ocean from the kingsize bed and free-standing tub of the master bedroom (which can connect to the bunk room). The 2 lower-floor bedrooms share a sheltered patio area and have a pretty garden outlook.
- DVD player
- Extra beds
- Family friendly
- Pool/beach towels
- Satellite TV
- Swimming pool
- Wine fridge
The kitchen is perfectly equipped for self-catering. There’s a huge fridge/freezer, a wine fridge, a large range/oven, even a pistachio-green KitchenAid. Behind the main kitchen area is a scullery where you can hide dirty dishes or pop it all in the 2 dishwashers. As if by magic, it’ll all be cleaned and tidied, thanks to Chris’ unobtrusive presence. There are even 2 barbecues - a Weber (kettle barbecue) and a gas-fired one.
Some basics are provided - salt, teas, coffee, sugar, etc - but you'll need to buy most groceries. There’s a Spar supermarket and excellent just-frozen fish in St Helena Bay (7 mins' drive) and you’ll spot small shops and farm stalls/delis en route. The Woolworths supermarket in Vredenburg should have everything else you need, bar unusual gourmet ingredients.
The best restaurants in the area are in Paternoster, a 25-min drive away. Wolfgat won overall Restaurant of the Year in the 2019 World Restaurants Awards, and we love Reuben’s at Abalone House. Visit Oep ve Koep if you’re up for trying foraged foods, and tiny Gaaitjie on the beach is ideal for a romantic dinner. There is a restaurant at the estate next door but we didn't try it.
- Coffee maker
- Family friendly
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Restaurants nearby
- Walk or run along the sandy beach, try out the house's boogie boards, or go kayaking, kitesurfing, paddleboarding or surfing. There are 2 popular surf breaks
- Go fishing from the rocks and pick black mussels at low tide for your dinner
- The area is a bird-watcher’s paradise, with over 200 species, so bring your binoculars. They'll be useful for spotting dolphins and seals from the house, too
- Take a whale-watching boat to spot Southern Right Whales on their migration
- In springtime (Aug-Oct), day-trip to the West Coast National Park and marvel at the carpets of wild daisies. Don’t miss the spectacular Postberg section
- We love Paternoster, a quaint fishing village 25 mins away, with great restaurants and small galleries
- Visit local wineries for tastings and lunch
- There's a 9-hole golf course, a gym, tennis courts, a wellness centre/spa and a bowling green at the estate next door
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Plantlife / flora
- Whale watching
- Wine tasting
Dune House is fantastic for children, with lots of space for them to play and plenty to keep them amused. There's a bunk room with 2 beds (and a mezzanine play area), which can interconnect with the main bedroom. There's also a small single bed in one of the lower ground-floor doubles, which would suit a younger child. If you are bringing a baby, you'll need to bring a travel cot.
Family friendly accommodation:
Extra Beds Available
- A highchair
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Swimming pool with toys
- DVD library
- Bicycles and boogie boards to borrow
Kids Activities nearby:
- The beach!
Families Should Know:
The house is not overly friendly for crawlers, and parents will want to watch out for the uncovered pool and the open stairwell leading down to the pool room/lower ground level. As the grounds are not fenced, keep an eye on adventurous kids who might wander off to the beach on their own
- Airport: Cape Town International (2 hours' drive)
- Shops: 5 minutes' drive
Dune House is on the shore at Britannia Bay, on the Cape West Coast, 160km (2 hours) north of Cape Town, South Africa.
Most guests fly into Cape Town International Airport (160km). It’s served by flights from all over the world - click on the links below for more information.
From the Airport
Hire a car - Britannia Bay is 2 hours' drive. See our car rental recommendations. The roads are good if a little boringly straight for kilometres at a time.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to South Africa and getting around
- Cape Town International 160.0 km CPT
- Beach 0.1 km
- Shops 2.0 km
- Restaurant 0.2 km