“Charming rustic cabins in a spectacular location near Monteverde's cloudforest”
You’ll find quetzals among the rich wildlife in the Monteverde cloudforest reserve, but plan to spend several lazy days in the beautiful setting of El Sol. Horse ride to the waterfall, ride to the hot springs for a relaxing bath, or simply gaze at the view while hummingbirds buzz around you. Swing in one of the many hammocks, take a sauna and swim in the perfectly situated infinity pool. Allow 4 days at least. You won’t want to leave.
- Wonderful views from your cabin, totally secluded in glorious countryside
- Warm and cosy feel with welcoming interiors: every corner has been lovingly considered to make you feel at home here. Elisabeth is an amazing host, connecting people with each other (and themselves!) on a deep level
- Good base for Monteverde and Santa Elena cloudforest reserves, among many other attractions. But El Sol’s landscape is an attraction in itself
- Incredibly good value: much cheaper than the touristy centre of Santa Elena
- The food is fantastic, and the horse riding is often reported to be the highlight of guests’ entire trips
- You may want your own vehicle to get to El Sol and to the cloudforest reserves, both 30 minutes away, but most guests use El Sol's car service to avoid driving on local roads
- No TV. This is more for people who enjoy being cut off from the outside world for a while
- Single travellers will undoubtedly meet new friends here, but be aware that you'll walk along a dark path to your cabin at night
- Not ideal for those who are squeamish about bugs
- Some might find Elisabeth’s full-on hugs a bit much. Just go with it. She’s a very warm and genuine person
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Jungle Lodge
- Breakfast (+ other meals on request)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
Accommodation at El Sol is normally in one of the self-contained cabins, small or large; but there are also 2 bedrooms in the main villa (that share communal space).
The delightful little small cabin is situated down a short footpath from the villa. It has a kingsize bed, a small kitchen area, and a bathroom (shower and tub) with lots of towels, lots of hot water, and shampoo and conditioner. There’s a porch with superb open views out over the hills, and a wonderfully secluded feel: ideal for couples.
With an even more stunning location, at the end of a longer path leading from the villa, the large cabin is ideal for a family. There’s a double bed in a separate loft bedroom, and 2 single beds in the living area - which could be converted into a second double bed. The great feature of this cabin is the panoramic view over the plains of Guanacaste from the wide balcony, where there are hammocks and a table and chairs for dining outside. There's also a well-equipped kitchen and a bathroom with a bathtub, shower and even a view of the hills!
The villahas 2 separate double rooms, one of which has an extra single room attached - ideal for a family of 3. Each room is very cosy, and provides a small private space within the communal spaces of the villa. Lined with wood and beautifully decorated in Elisabeth’s singular creative rustic style, the main lounge has a wooden corner sofa, abundant cushions and delightful details such as pretty flower arrangements and original paintings. There are 2 bathrooms for guests in the villa to use: neither is ensuite, but both are well equipped. The rooms here are good for a family or a group of friends, who won't mind sharing the communal spaces.
Everything in the cabins and villa is finished to a very high standard, so while the style is rustic, the overall impression is of warmth and homeliness with great creative flair. Love and consideration has gone into every detail.
- Extra beds
Breakfast isn't included, but well worth the cost as it’s more like brunch and will last you all day. Breakfast is brought to your cabin. Expect scrambled eggs, fried sweet apple plantains (grown on site), homemade local cheese, fresh fruit and fruit juice. Rice and beans, pancakes, toast or corn tortillas are also on offer. You'll also find tea, coffee, powdered full milk, cocoa powder and raw sugar waiting in your cabin or villa.
If you've got room afterwards, lunch is served for those who aren't out and about. Expect Mediterranean-style fare with lots of fresh vegetables - perhaps chicken breast, fish, shrimps or Spanish tortilla accompanied by colourful dips and homemade bread, all washed down with fruit juices, beer and wine. Coffee is often served with chocolate truffles and cake or cookies. Best to let Elisabeth know in advance if you'll be around for lunch.
If you have a car and do want to make the journey into Santa Elena, there are of course many restaurants vying for your custom. Elisabeth is always very happy to give her insider recommendations.
- Dinner by arrangement
- Lunch by arrangement
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
Elisabeth and her team always invite you to talk through everything you want to do so that they are able to make it a reality for you.
- One of the most outstanding wildlife sanctuaries in the neotropics, Monteverde Cloudforest Reserve protects around 60,000 hectares of primary forest, which - at an altitude of 1,400m - is almost constantly draped in cloud. It's open from 7am to 4pm daily - make sure you have cash for the entrance fee as cards aren't accepted
- This is an ideal habitat for over 400 species of birds, among them the Resplendent Quetzal, and more than 500 species of orchid. Just wandering the 13km of paths in the reserve is a magical experience, but go with a guide and you’ll see many of the extraordinary bird species which otherwise you can only hear. Scheduled guided walks leave at 7.30am, 12 noon, and 1.30pm. For a more in-depth experience, ask for a private guide. The following are recommended: Ricardo Winden (2645 5085), Jorge Quesada (2645 5546), Mervin Leighton (2645 5310) and Samuel Arguedas (2645 6326); contact them directly
- Less visited but just as interesting, Santa Elena Cloudforest Reserve has 12km of trails to walk, as well as an observation tower, with guides for tours if you want them
- The Skywalk hanging bridges are well worth a visit. Around 2.5km of trails and suspension bridges at the level of the tree canopy, they allow you to see far more birdlife than from the ground. Our guide Donald was excellent; passionate about finding and explaining interesting species of plants and animals
- For adrenaline-fuelled fun, try the Sky Trek, and zip along 11 cables suspended above the forest from secure platforms, with stunning views. The best of all such adventures we found in Costa Rica, it's extremely safe and well-run, with well-designed pulleys and proper brakes
- For more entertainment of a natural kind, visit El Ranario ('the frog pond'), or the Monteverde Butterfly Garden
- The local Quaker community makes cheese famous throughout Costa Rica, and you can visit the factory
- Visit a coffee plantation: Don Juan’s is a small family business, with bilingual and knowledgeable guides. See the whole process, and the infrastructure that the coffee industry created - creating the wealth which built the San José theatre. There’s also a tasting at the end, and a free sample to take home
- There are horse rides of 1-3 hours over different trails, through beautiful landscapes, run exclusively for El Sol guests. The half-day ride to nearby waterfalls is considered a highlight of a stay here. Manuel and Hermes are excellent guides, and their tame horses are ideal for novices
- Elisabeth's son Javier conducts early morning birding walks around the property; he also operates as a private guide for guests for whatever hikes and activities are requested
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Horse riding
- Plantlife / flora
- Private guided tours
- Traditional cultures
Children are very welcome - they will love El Sol and won’t want to go home. The cabins themselves are an adventure, tucked away along little paths with tremendous views. They’re perfectly safe for kids. The swimming pool is a delight, and children will love the horse riding.
Family friendly accommodation:
Book the Large Cabin or the Whole Villa - each can accommodate a futon (for an extra charge) if you need more beds. There are no cots so if needed please bring your own.
El Sol is 8 minutes' drive from downtown Santa Elena (where the nearest shops and restaurants are), 10 minutes from Monteverde and 20 minutes from both cloudforest reserve entrances. It's about 3 hours from San José International Airport, Liberia airport and 3.5 hours from La Fortuna/Arenal.
San José Juan Santamaría International (162km away) and Liberia Daniel Oduber International (156km away) are Costa Rica's main international airports. Click on the links below for a list of airlines serving them.
From the Airport
The drive from either airport takes around 3 hours. El Sol can arrange a transfer with a friendly bilingual driver, who can also take guests to other destinations in Costa Rica after their stay at El Sol.
You might want the freedom of a hire car but you’ll need a high clearance 4x4 and some stamina, as the roads are very rough. See our car rental recommendations.
There’s no way around it: the road up to Monteverde is challenging in places. The journey from La Fortuna takes 3.5 hours. The roads are paved until you reach Tilaran and then it starts to get bumpy for about an hour and a half. El Sol is 8 minutes’ drive beyond Santa Elena. Drive very carefully on the steep road out of town. Driving from El Sol to the paved leg of Route 606 takes 20 minutes (11.5km), after which it's an hour to the Panamerican highway. From there, the rest of Costa Rica is easily reached on good tarmacked roads. Beware also that the GPS system in Costa Rica is a little inaccurate and it's best to rely on El Sol's written directions.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Costa Rica and getting around
- Liberia Daniel Oduber International 156.0 km LIR
- San Jose Juan Santamaría International 162.0 km SJO
- Beach 60.0 km
- Shops 4.6 km
- Restaurant 4.6 km