Husband-and-wife team Andrew and Anel set about turning this one time B&B, owned by Andrew’s parents, into what it is today: an uber-smart yet pleasingly unpretentious 8 bedroom hotel and 3-bed cottage. The vibe: ‘cool country house’. Rooms are all white-washed walls and soothing earthy textures. Downstairs, think trendy statement wallpaper and wishbone chairs. A perfectly placed pool glistens among the picturesque gardens. And then there are those spectacular, panoramic views, best marvelled at from your room balcony while sipping a glass of something local, or while sampling a famously delicious breakfast out on the terrace each morning. This is quite the find, and one we can’t wait to visit.
- Owners Andrew and Anel and their friendly staff are fantastic hosts for their local knowledge and warm welcome
- We love the chic yet perfectly unpretentious styling
- A gorgeous hilltop setting and views as far as the eye can see, with incredible sunsets
- The gastronomic experience here is seriously good
- Only 10 minutes from heavenly beaches, bustling Plettenberg Bay and multiple wineries
- It takes two flights to reach this part of the world (or you drive the Garden Route from Cape Town), and you'll need a car to explore, but it’s worth the journey
- There are two friendly resident dogs – a plus for some but not for others
- No in-room treatments available
- Two of the rooms don't have a balcony or terrace
- The self-catering cottage isn't as chic as the rooms and suites
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 8 rooms + 1 cottage
- Restaurant & bar open daily
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car essential
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
Fairview House’s eight rooms of varying sizes are spread across the Main House and the Coach House. All are beautifully styled. Think "Cape Dutch": white-washed walls, neutral tones and chic textures with comforting pops of colour and geometric throws. Like a home-from-home, only better.
The Main House has two rooms: Standard and Luxury. Each has a modern four-poster bed, and a similar warm monochrome scheme with gold accents. The Standard room has a large in-room walk-in shower, while the Luxury room's separate ensuite has both bath and shower; the real clincher between the two is the balcony for the latter, whose mountain views take your breath away.
In the Coach House there are another four Luxury rooms, two with contemporary four-poster kingsize beds and two set up as twin rooms. Here the highlight colour is green, and there are colourful prints of South African flowers on the walls. Each has a private verandah leading into the garden.
Also in the Coach House, the Deluxe Suites come with two bedrooms, a kingsize and a twin, and an elegant living space enlivened with teal cushions. The ensuite bathroom is a treat, with a super freestanding bath and a separate, beautifully tiled rain shower. The stand-out perk, though, is the balcony with incredible, far-reaching mountain views.
Bathrooms are a joy with their trendy patterned tiles, fabulous tubs and walk-in showers. The complimentary toiletries are pleasingly high-end.
There’s also a separate self-catering cottage, which has ample living quarters below including an open-plan living-dining room and full kitchen, and three bedrooms above (one double, one double/twin, one twin).
- Safe box
Tuck into an outstanding breakfast (there's a continental buffet plus a la carte hot menu) each morning out on the deck, ahead of ah-mazing views of the Garden Route National Park and the forests and fynbos of the Tsitsikamma Mountains. Eggs Benedict, salmon rosti, mushrooms and eggs on toast or the full English can be cooked to order.
Give them some notice and the chefs, led by Anel, will knock up lunch and dinner for you. They’ll even prepare a picnic for lazy days by the sea or out on the hotel grounds.
The food on offer in the restaurant is said to be top-notch, and there's an accomplished wine list to work your way through. The owners pride themselves on serving up freshly prepared, classic fare. Any ingredients not plucked from the kitchen garden are sourced nearby where possible. Menus change frequently but starters could be salt and pepper squid and springbok carpaccio, while mains include steak with béarnaise sauce, paprika chicken on butternut couscous, a choice of beef or veggie burger with all the trimmings and some excellent home grown salads plus house-made flatbreads. The creme brûlée gets rave reviews too.
- Coffee maker
- Kids' meals
- Stroll the hotel’s 68 acres of greenery, all irrigated by harvesting rainwater; chill by the peaceful pool with a book from the extensive library
- Marvel at the whales (July-November) and dolphin pods from Keurbooms Beach or the stunning Robberg Peninsula (both 10 minutes)
- Hike the spectacular forests and beaches of Nature’s Valley, nestled in the Tsitsikamma Park (15 mins); or the dramatic bridges of Storms River Mouth (30 mins)
- Cafe-hop in Plettenberg Bay, surf its sandy Lookout Beach or head north and explore Stone Age Nelson Bay Caves
- Wine lovers have plenty of local vineyards to choose from; start with Newstead Wine Estate (8 mins) for its top-notch sparkling wine
- Get close to nature at the highly rated elephant and monkey sanctuaries (12 mins), or the Birds of Eden sanctuary (right next door) if feathered friends are more your thing
- The more daring can bounce from the 709-feet-high Bloukrans River Bridge (19 mins), the world’s highest bridge bungee jump
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Mountain biking
- Plantlife / flora
- Whale watching
- Wine tasting
Fairview House welcomes kids of all ages. With 68 acres of greenery on the doorstep, there’s plenty of room for little legs to roam, plus there's a pool – always a win with kids.
Parents of younger kids should note that the outdoor pool is unfenced and unheated. Also, there aren’t any facilities specifically aimed at children. That said, there is one baby cot available, and a babysitting service is on offer.
Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Families of 3 or 4 should opt for one of the Deluxe Suites, located in the Coach House. The suite comprises two adjoining rooms: one with a king-size bed, one with twins for the kids. There's also the three-bedroom Cottage for larger families.
Cots Available, Extra Beds Available, Family Rooms
The kids menu offers straightforward dishes including chicken and rice, toasted sandwiches, Mac and cheese, spaghetti bolognese and pizza.
Kids Activities nearby:
- Airport: 1hr 35m
- Hospital: 15 minutes
- Shops: 15 minutes
Fairview House is located high in the Garden Route National Park, 10 mins from Plettenberg Bay.
Fly to Cape Town or Johannesburg and take a connecting flight to nearby George (115km) or Port Elizabeth (228km). Or if you want to make an entrance, charter a helicopter from Cape Town to Plettenberg Park (25km).
From the Airport:
From George Airport, it’s a 90-minute drive to Fairview House; Port Elizabeth, 2.5 hrs. Transfers can be arranged or hire a car from the airport. We’d recommend the latter for exploration purposes, and many choose to explore the Garden Route by car from Cape Town.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- George Airport 115.0 km GRJ
- George Airport 228.0 km PLZ
- Beach 9.0 km
- Shops 12.0 km
- Restaurant 3.0 km