A delightful adults-only hotel near beautiful Es Trenc beach, with a gourmet restaurant and a thermal spa”
Calm, clean and serene, its manicured good looks instantly relax you: lavender-lined flowerbeds, white-wicker sitting areas, trickling fountains and hammocks swinging from palm trees. There's a glamorous pool, private jacuzzi areas with sunchairs, and the most amazing thermal spa imaginable. Drawn from Mallorca's only natural hot springs, the 38-degree water powers a circuit with individual bath rooms, an indoor pool, a jacuzzi, a sauna, a Turkish bath and a vaporium, and is said to be theraputic thanks to its mineral-rich content. It was once a pilgrimage site for locals; today it's a more refined set-up but people flock here nonetheless. And when you've cycled to the beach (10 mins) and basked, steamed and scrubbed, there can be no better place to spend your evenings than the gourmet restaurant. We're still in awe.
- The pared-back rooms, with their light and white décor. All have private outdoor space with loungers
- The food is superb - imaginative, delicious and well priced. Dinner was one of the best meals we've ever had
- Service is friendly and efficient; there's always someone around but it never feels intrusive
- Entry to the spa's thermal circuit is included in your room rate (excludes individual thermal baths and hand/feet baths)
- Adults only, so perfect for a romantic holiday
- Not cheap, but everything is top quality
- Some traffic noise from the nearby road
- No other restaurants within walking distance, but the food here is so good you'll find little reason to dine elsewhere
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 36 rooms + 1 villa
- Restaurant and bar (open daily)
- Adults only
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
- Bicycles Available
The rooms are similar in style, spread between the main building and a separate wing in the garden. If you want more space indoors and out, book a more expensive room, but the smaller rooms are just as nice if you're OK with compact living.
Décor is mainly white, with accents of taupe and beige but very few bright or dark colours, so each room feels like a mini sanctuary - our first impression of our Junior Suite was a sun-filled, peaceful space, ideal for relaxing in. We loved the floor-to-ceiling windows and the original beamed wooden ceilings (the building was once a finca). And it was great to have a sunny terrace with loungers, though it felt a little concrete and urban and would have benefitted from some potted plants.
Beds are vast, piled high with pillows and light duvets. Some have four-posters and draped curtains - super romantic. There are lots of thoughtful details like little reading spotlights, complimentary water, daily weather reports and a turndown service while you're out at dinner. Bathrooms are shower only, but we're talking big walk-in rain showers with lovely extras: L'Occitane toiletries, thick robes, flipflops, hairbrushes.
Alternatively, if you really want to splash out, there's a plush Luxury Villa tucked away beside Es Trenc National Park that you can retreat to. At 160m2, this enormous pad is spread across 2 floors and comes with a large terrace, a garden and a private pool. We're yet to see it, but we can't wait to have a snoop.
- Air conditioning
- Fruit bowl
- Movie library
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
Fontsanta's food is superb, a reason in itself for staying here. The restaurant is an intimate space, with an original arched brick ceiling, well-spaced tables dressed in smart linens and lit with candles, and chilled music playing. Service is excellent and the atmosphere is relaxed.
We kicked off our meal with delicious cocktails - a Hibiscus Royal for me, flavoured with hibiscus-scented salt from the nearby flats. My husband loved the Horse's Neck (bourbon and ginger ale), and there's an interesting range of non-alcoholic options if you're here on a babymoon.
We started dinner with warm olive bread, Pollensan olive oil and local salt flavoured with herbs; simple but fantastic. For starters I had reindeer carpaccio with caramelised onion, mustard and capers vinagarette; melt-in-the-mouth stuff, though my husband's smoked salmon salad with warm Balearic citrus vinagarette and apple was possibly even better. For mains I loved the monkfish with herbaceous rice and shellfish sauce, and the traditional suckling pig was delicious, served with pears in balsamic on garlic puree with rosemary and thyme. Both were perfectly complemented by the wine suggested to us by the sommelier: a Fillboa Selección Finca Monte Alto 88 - smooth with a real depth of flavour.
Dessert was a foamy passion-fruit custard with chocolate and biscuit ice cream - an exquisite puff of air and coconut, incredibly light. My husband adored his white-chocolate mousse with figs, and our recommended pudding wine was wonderful. As we left, we were presented with a plate of incredible petits fours, which we took back to our room and devoured. All in all, one of the best meals we've ever had.
We'd expected breakfast to be a bit of a comedown, but it was in a league of its own, an enormous buffet with 6 different meats, several cheeses, ripe tomatoes with flavoured salts (the Mediterranean was the best), and homemade jams for the pastries. There were jugs of fresh pineappple and peach juice, and although we couldn't manage one, the hot options including honey crepes or Iberian ham with scrambled eggs sounded delicious.
There's an all-day snack menu and room service, plus tapas and live music on Wednesday nights in the restaurant, but should you want a change of scene, there are beach bars and restaurants on Es Trenc, and reception can recommend eateries in Colonia de Sant Jordi (5km).
- Organic produce
- Room service
- Snack menu
- Vegetarian menu
- Head to the spa for a free thermal circuit in the mineral-rich, healing natural waters. It's a huge space with a vaporium, a jacuzzi, a hot-water pool, a relaxation room, sauna, steam room and toning zone with shower cube. You can also have individual thermal baths or hand and foot baths
- Indulge in a treatment. There are various massages, including a hot-stone massage and a couples' treatment. Or try exfoliation with sea salts then a regenerative mud wrap, a Mineromedicinal facial or a seaweed body wrap
- Borrow a bike and cycle to Es Trenc beach. You can do boat trips, walk along the white sand or just hire a lounger and marvel at the turquoise water
- The hotel also owns Es Refugi, an exclusive hut at the back of a private stretch of Es Trenc's nudist beach. It's accessed by a private road (transfer included) and the hut has a buffet of fresh fruit and drinks, as well as towels, beach umbrellas, outdoor showers, WCs and areas to relax in. Access is included for guests staying in suites, otherwise there's an additional cost
- Hike to the lighthouse of Cap de Ses Salines past beautiful wild beaches (12km), horse-ride through the countryside, or cycle along the coastal path that links Ses Salines and the Cap Blanc
- The Es Salobrar de Campos nature reserve that backs Es Trenc is an extraordinary wildlife habitat, with seawater pools and over 1,700 species of bird; bring binoculars
- Visit the archipelago of Cabrera, a national park with mountains for walking and sea meadows for scuba diving
- There are weekly markets in Campos and Santanyi, where you can buy handicrafts (we got some great hand puppets for babies), local produce and clothes
- The old fishing village of Colonia de Sant Jordi (5km away) is popular with Mallorquín families and has some good restaurants
- Play golf on the nearby course (15km away), windsurf or charter a yacht; reception can arrange
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Horse riding
- Plantlife / flora
- Scuba diving
- Shopping / markets
Fontsanta Hotel is 5 minutes' drive or a 10-minute cycle ride from Es Trenc beach in southern Mallorca, in the Campos district. It's a 45-minute drive from the airport.
Fly into Palma (49km). Click on the links below for a list of airlines serving this airport.
From the Airport
We'd recommend hiring a car.
See our car rental recommendations. There's a free car park at the hotel.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Mallorca and getting around
- Palma 49.0 km PMI
- Beach 3.0 km
- Shops 6.0 km
- Restaurant 6.0 km