This historic, beautifully restored boutique hotel is something of a rare gem: it offers rooms and apartments which are not only chic but refreshingly good value. The traditional charm of this early 20th-century building shines through. Arrive to swoony, original black and white marble floors and grand high ceilings. 22 newly refurbished rooms and apartments are all clean white walls and polished wood floors, mixed with sleek marble sinks, gold hardware and, by all accounts, supremely comfortable beds. Be sure to bag yourself a room overlooking the estuary if you can; about half have spectacular river views. The 1- and 2-bed apartments and close proximity to the airport (12 mins) make this an excellent destination for families and those looking for a minibreak. What a find!
- Superb river views from many of the rooms and apartments
- A great option for families seeking all the perks of a stylish, luxury hotel with the convenience of an apartment
- We hear the food served in the restaurant is first class and good value
- The elegant, beautifully restored common spaces
- A great location in history-rich Asturias with surfing, hiking trails and gorgeous beaches within relatively easy reach; the airport is just 15 minutes' by taxi
- Some of the rooms, although newly refurbished, are quite traditional in style
- No twin beds at present
- The restaurant is not open for lunch
- The sea-facing rooms also overlook the car park
- No pool but there's a saltwater one down the road
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 22 rooms
- Restaurant and bar (open daily)
- All ages welcome
- Closed: 8-31 January every year
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Electric car charger
Gran Hotel Brillante has a mix of 22 spotless rooms and apartments, each lovingly and recently restored, and each fantastic value for money.
The top two floors are made up of Studios and Residences – 1- and 2-bed apartments – with pleasingly luxurious, marble-clad kitchens and bathrooms. They’re a great option for those seeking a hotel experience with apartment benefits, and all (bar the smallest Studio) have a sofa bed for additional guests. Three of the Residences and one of the Studios have glorious Nalon Estuary views; the rest look out to the street. A few of these have a little balcony, if this is required mention when booking.
The floors below have tranquil rooms in varying sizes. Expect a mix of old and new. Think clean white walls, art deco lights and polished wood floors. All but the Executive and Prime rooms overlook the Nalon Estuary; the Ruben Dario Grand Suite has windows all along one wall to maximise those watery views.
Bathrooms come with power showers, piles of towels and chequerboard black and white floor tiles. Prime Rooms, the Aguilar and Atalaya Studios, and the Glayos Residence also have bathtubs. The Suite has twin sinks for a luxurious touch. The two-bedroom Residences have two ensuite bathrooms.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
The food served at the hotel restaurant comes highly recommended. Breakfast is served buffet-style with both savoury (cold cuts, cheese, boiled eggs, Spanish omelettes, an array of toasts) and sweet options (home-made cakes, brownies, cheesecake, crepes). Healthy options include kefir yoghurt, fresh fruit and chia seeds.
Dinner – with a focus on fresh and local produce including much bounty from the Bay of Biscay (think smoked anchovies, Galician seasoned sautéed octopus, pickled mussels, bacalao and sea bream) – is reportedly exceptional, with good portions, and all at a reasonable price point. We like the sound of the Russian salad, artichokes with Iberian ham and the Asturias cheeses with walnut and apple salad. There's also a great value set menu. Desserts include rice pudding and house-made cake, or head to the cheese tasting platter.
All Studios and Residences come kitted out with a beautifully designed marble kitchen, complete with dishwasher, washing machine and stove.
For a change of scene, there are several decent restaurants within walking distance. Try La Balanza (2 min walk) or Monterrey Restaurant (1 min).
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Restaurants nearby
- Vegetarian options
- Discover the colourful fishing village of Cudillero (12 mins). Marvel at its 13th-century chapel before lunching on fresh seafood at a buzzy harbour-side eatery
- Beach lovers have access to many dreamy stretches of sand. Playa de Aguilar is closest (10 mins) and one of the best in Asturias
- Hike one of the many trails on offer. The "Senda de los Miradores" trails begin in San Esteban de Pravia (8 mins) and goes to Playa de El Aguilar. Follow the coastline to breathtaking views of the Deva Island and Cabo Vídio lighthouse
- San Esteban is worth exploring: it is one of the way stations on the Camino del Norte pilgrims' route to Santiago de Compostela; the town has a small but attractive beach with an ocean pool just a 15 minute walk away
- Learn to surf. There are numerous surf schools in the area. Catch some waves at Breaking North Surf School at nearby Los Quebrantos beach in San Juan de La Arena (10 mins). All ages can apply
- Keen cyclists can navigate the area on two wheels. There are many cycle paths across Asturias that run along the coast, through parks and along disused railway lines. Hotel staff are happy to advise
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Mountain biking
- Shopping / markets
- Stand-up paddle boarding
Children of all ages are very welcome at Gran Hotel Brillante, and there's much for adventurous families to do in the area from surfing to cycling, and some gorgeous beaches are close at hand. It’s worth noting, however, that there aren’t any facilities specifically designed for kids at the hotel.
Babies (0-1 years), Toddlers (1-4 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
Families have a choice of Studios and Residences (1 and 2 bed apartments) on the top two floors, each one with a kitchen. Note that not all apartments have baths so if a tub is essential, be sure to mention it at checkout.
- High chair
- Baby cots and baby bedding
- Night light
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
If kids don't want to eat from the menu, they can rustle up pasta, sandwiches or omelettes on request.
Kids Activities nearby:
- Playa de Aguilar
- Saltwater pool in San Esteban
- Garruncho beach in San Esteban
- Airport: 10 minutes
- Hospital: 15 minutes
- Shops: 1 minute
For more family-friendly places, see our Kids Collection
Gran Hotel Brillante is in the small town of San Esteban de Pravia, in the Asturias region of northern Spain.
Asturias Airport is closest. Vueling, BA & Ryanair all fly direct from the UK; Iberia, Lufthansa and Volotea also fly direct from various European destinations.
From the Airport:
Take a taxi from the airport – it's about a 10-minute ride. If possible, we’d recommend hiring a car to explore the area. Check out our car rental recommendations.
By Public Transport:
There's both a railway station and a bus station in San Esteban; these go to the main cities of Asturias (Avilés, Oviedo and Gijón) and from these, you can connect with Bilbao or Madrid.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Aeropuerto de Asturias 10.0 km OVD
- Beach 2.4 km
- Shops 0.1 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km