There is a real sense of openness and calm, with wide hallways, light-filled stairways and areas for relaxing. This continues to the 39 rooms, all of which are spacious, comfortable, full of local art and have balconies or patios. The hotel's photogenic aesthetic, alongside its exceptional eco-credentials, attracts a younger, hip crowd, who have made the rooftop bar - the only one in town – the place to see and be seen. But families love it here too, and the swimming pool is popular with kids. Healdsburg is growing as a culinary hotspot, and do we even need to mention the world-famous vineyards all around? Foodies will be in heaven.
- Perfectly located for experiencing Healdsburg and the wider Sonoma valley
- Spacious rooms starting at 395 square feet and all with balconies or patios
- Stylish interiors: Scandinavian minimalism meets Japanese zen, with lots of pieces from local artisans
- Excellent eco-credentials
- Healdsburg’s only rooftop bar and kitchen, which has excellent views
- Breakfast, whilst included, is not on property and involves a walk to h2hotel
- The pool is small and quite shaded, but you can use the sister hotels’ pools
- The creekside entertainment space is a tad underwhelming and located next to a car park and railway
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 39 rooms
- Breakfast + light meals
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Heated Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car recommended
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
All 39 rooms find the right balance between minimalism and comfort. They are decorated in an industrial-chic aesthetic with French oak floors, tones of yellow, taupe, black and grey, and playful art from local artisans. Each has a private balcony or patio overlooking either the private creekside garden, the inner courtyard or Fitch Mountain.
The Harmon King rooms are the smallest, though there's still plenty of space for couples to relax in. The Double Queen rooms are slightly larger with two double beds - ideal if you're bringing children. But our favourite rooms were the 750-square foot Founder’s Suites, which have a large ensuite bedroom, a separate living room with a queensize sofabed, a dining and entertaining space, and an adjoining bathroom. This flexibility means it works well for families or groups.
All rooms have generous bathrooms with walk-in showers, and complimentary coffee and snacks.
- In room treatments available
- Safe box
The Rooftop bar and restaurant boasts stunning views across Healdsburg and the surrounding Sonoma hills. It’s the perfect place for a sunset cocktail and a small bite to eat after a day of wine tasting. Large firepits, chic inventive décor and DJ-mixed music add a hip, stylish vibe, making it feel more Miami Beach than Wine Country.
Emphasis is on happy hour seasonal cocktails as well as seafood and small plates. The combination of Shrimp Ceviche Tostada and Fitch Mountain Fizz at happy hour was a welcome change after a day sampling the local Cabernet Sauvignon. Note that opening hours are from 3pm to 8pm only.
Many superb dining options are available in town, a short walk away. You could also dine at h2hotel, where Spoon Bar serves farm-fresh Californian fare and hosts continental-style breakfasts, or Hotel Healdsburg, where up-scale Italian restaurant PizZando also provides the in-room dining service for Harmon Guest House.
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Pick up one of the hotel’s bicycles, which are free to borrow, and explore the local vineyards. The concierge provides a series of recommended bike trails
- On Fridays and Saturdays, the hotel offers wine tasting from local vineyards in the beautiful, airy lobby
- Detox at the spa: Guests are given discounts and vouchers to use at Hotel Healdsburg, which has an extensive menu of inventive treatments such as a Wine and Honey Wrap
- Armstrong Woods State Park has one of the finest collections of redwoods north of San Francisco. Unlike the incredibly busy Muir Woods, the park is usually relatively quiet so you can enjoy a serene hike without the throngs of tourists
- Go fine dining. Healdsburg is gaining a burgeoning culinary reputation, to match its wine, with two Michelin star restaurants in town, including three-starred SingleThread Farm
Activities on site or nearby include:
The hotel can easily accommodate families of all sizes, and children of all ages, though the vibe here is sophisticated. Kids stay for free until the age of 16, baby equipment is on offer, including Pack ’n Play cribs, and rooms can be easily configured to accommodate additional children. The concierge has a range of family-friendly activities to recommend in the local area and the pool is primarily used by families.
Family friendly accommodation:
For families with one small child, Harmon King and Double Queen rooms all include a large window seat that can double as a child’s bed. For families with one or two older children, the living rooms in the Founder’s Suites each have a queensize sofabed. Alternatively, a number of rooms can be connected into ‘pods’ for larger families.
Kids Activities on site:
- Swimming pool
- Airport: 15 minutes (Sonoma County); 90 minutes (San Francisco)
- Shops: Five minutes
- Hospital: 10 minutes
Harmon Guest House is in the centre of Healdsburg, one of Northern California's wine capitals, part of Sonoma County and 90 minutes north of San Francisco.
Sonoma County is the closest airport (14km) but it's served by domestic flights only. San Francisco (117km) and Oakland (114km) are the closest international airports.
Most guests hire a car to explore Sonoma and Napa. See our car rental recommendations. Alternatively, the hotel's concierge service can arrange a transfer.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- San Francisco International Airport 117.0 km SFO
- Oakland International Airport. 114.0 km OAK
- Beach 45.0 km
- Shops 0.1 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km