A stunning new concept hotel with 10 dazzlingly seductive suites and rooms and a spacious secret garden, all hidden in a peaceful Venice backwater”
Tucked away in laid-back Cannaregio, the hotel provided the magic of Venice we were looking for. Nearby bàcari serve cicchetti (light bites) to local artisans and canal-sides buzz with drinkers lapping up the last rays of sun. We hear grumbles of Venice losing its allure, but this hotel left us completely under its spell.
- A peaceful canal-side setting in authentic Cannaregio, where you're worlds away from the hordes of tourists and tat shops
- Stunning interior design flair all wrapped up in a 16th-century palace
- The peaceful shaded garden is a rarity in Venice. It’s blissfully quiet apart from the birds
- While the building is palatial the service is warm and very friendly
- The owners have remained true to the original palazzo layout, which means you get lots of communal space
- No restaurant on-site, but there are lots of excellent options within a short stroll, and a snack menu at the bar
- It’s a bit of a hike (20 mins or water taxi) to the main sights, but if you're looking to explore hidden Venice it's a fine location
- No twin rooms
- While they accept children, all that precious art on display may invite little wandering hands
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 10 rooms
- Breakfast included, restaurants nearby
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
10 rooms and suites are spread over 2 floors. The Canal View Junior Suites on the top floor are the pick of the bunch, with stunning views over the water and red terracotta-tiled rooftops. That said, we loved our Junior Suite Garden View with its grand high ceilings, original frescoes and free-standing tub in the room. L’Occitane toiletries complement lavish bathrooms and the comfy beds are fit for royalty. Some of the internal Deluxe Rooms lack a bit of natural light and wow factor, but still retain a bright design flair.
All rooms are unique in style and layout, with common threads running through in artwork and style. It’s not décor for the shy: think bold purples, blues and golds. In keeping with the historic feel, they’ve gone low-key on tech devices. There’s air con, WiFi and a built-in music system – but blissfully no TV or gizmos to detract from the ambiance.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Music player connected to the hotel's music system
- Safe box
Breakfast is a sumptuous a la carte affair to set you up for a day's exploring. In keeping with the décor, the food is lovingly prepared and bursting with colour: vibrant walnut and apple salads, bright cherry tomatoes with buffalo mozzarella, cold cuts, bircher muesli and fresh croissants, as well as eggs to order. The de rigueur Italian coffee was the best we had in Venice.
There’s no on-site restaurant as such, but you can enjoy an intimate dinner in the enchanted garden (advanced booking required); choose from Menus di Mare, di Terra or Vegetariano. In addition, the ground-floor bar will rustle up an aperitivo of cicchetti (nibbles of fish/meat) to accompany cocktails and wine.
Staff will point you towards their favourite restaurants for dinner. We ate at nearby Ostaria da Rioba which was impossibly romantic, offering canal-side tables with the freshest seafood straight from the lagoon (think Italian classics with modern twists), plus the gentle hum of conversation and boats bobbing by – perfect.
- Restaurants nearby
- Learn how to row the classic Venetian gondola – lessons are available directly in front of the hotel
- Venice teems with Renaissance art, but if that's not your thing, check out the intimate Peggy Guggenheim museum on the Grand Canal; our favourite gallery
- The hotel is near the oldest Jewish ghetto in the world. Visit the small Museo Ebraico di Venezia to get a sense of the rich history of this little enclave. Also visit the church of Chiesa della Madonna dell’Orto with masterpieces by Tintoretto, just a stone’s throw away
- The famous Rialto Market is a short walk away, where you can purchase antique masks and fantastic cicchetti, and stroll over the eponymous bridge
- Hop on a vaporetto and chug to St Mark's Square with its dazzling Basilica San Marco, Campanile bell tower and historic Palazzo Ducale
- Book a private Heureka Experience to discover Venice, its Lagoon and cultural heritage in more authentic detail
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
- Wine tasting
While there’s not much in the way of children’s facilities, families are still welcome. Cots and extra beds are available in the bigger rooms upon request, plus highchairs for breakfast. The enclosed garden is good for young ones to let off steam, but the hotel is probably better suited for older children due to all that expensive art on display, and Venice itself can be quite exhausting for toddlers.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
The Deluxe Rooms can fit a baby cot. Bigger rooms can fit 1 baby cot or 1 extra bed. You can combine the top-floor Junior Suite Canal View with the adjoining Grand deluxe room to form the Heureka Suite - a 2 bedroom suite apartment with lounge area.
Hotel Heureka is set in northwest Venice, in the vibrant Cannaregio quarter.
Fly into Venice Marco Polo (13km) or nearby Treviso Airport (30km); both have regular flights and offer easy access to central Venice.
From the Airport
Visitors arriving in Marco Polo Airport can either take a private water taxi to the hotel's private dock (about 10-15 minutes), or the Alilaguna shared taxi-boat (orange line) straight from the airport to the Madonna dell' Orto stop. It's also possible to take a bus/taxi to Piazzale Roma and walk, or take a vaporetto (waterbus) from there.
If you'd prefer to travel overland from the UK, you can reach Venice quite easily with the Eurostar from London, changing in Paris. See the excellent Seat 61 for details.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com
More on getting to Venice and getting around
- Venice Marco Polo 13.0 km VCE
- Treviso Airport 30.0 km TSF
- Beach 3.0 km
- Shops 0.2 km
- Restaurant 0.2 km