“Super-cool interiors and ambrosial food make Barcelona’s classiest design hotel a real treat for the senses”
In the lobby, high ceilings and comfy sofas at the front give way to low ceilings and leather stools at the bar; locals congregate each evening, giving the place a real buzz. In between you’ll find an open fire, light boxes and wonderfully comfortable swivel chairs. Beyond, Moo, the hotel's Michelin-starred restaurant, backs up against an indoor courtyard, where dangling mirrors sparkle among giant bamboo. Cleverly, this is all one room, with different spaces defined by the height of the ceilings rather than walls. As for the food... well, it's heavenly - some of the best in Barcelona - a taste sensation that’s out of this world.
- Funky and spacious rooms with heavenly beds and hi-tech gadgetry (snazzy lights, Grohe power showers, projectors for TVs)
- Truly scrumptious food from the renowned Roca brothers
- Rooftop pool and decked terrace with views of Gaudí's La Pedrera and the Sagrada Familia - plus excellent cocktails
- Sleek spa with a steam room, sauna and indoor pool, plus a multi-page menu of treatments
- Passeig de Gràcia - the city’s glitziest shopping street - is on your doorstep
- Bedrooms at the back look onto a slightly lifeless courtyard but are quieter than the front rooms
- This is a serious design hotel with an expensive price tag
- With around 90 rooms and suites, it's less intimate and personal than our usual i-escape hotels - though service is excellent
- Breakfast isn't included in the rates and is a little on the pricey side
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurant (open Mon-Sat) and bar (open daily)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
Lifts open onto dark, moody corridors that are decked out in black rubber and lit by fibre-optic strips. Open the door to your room and the contrast couldn't be greater: oceans of natural light wash over you, and rooms at the front (looking out over the Passeig de Gràcia) point towards the midday sun.
Rooms are priced according to size, with minimalist design running throughout: funky beds, contemporary chairs, walls of glass and pale oak floors. The feel is smooth and cool, bright and breezy. Sleek cabinets form a wall between the bathroom and bedroom onto which TV is projected at the flick of a button; there’s concealed lighting underneath, and the odd cubed light box on the floor. Comfortable kingsize or twin beds come well-dressed in crisp linen, and some rooms have bay windows housing daybeds or tables and chairs. The spacious, stylish bathrooms have deep bathtubs with Grohe power showers overhead, plus square porcelain sinks, wrap-around mirrors and all the bits and bobs you could want (fluffy towels, bathrobes and slippers, aluminium bottles of lotions and gels, and jars of bath salts).
Junior Suites and Suites are vast, with leather sofas and separate walk-in showers, but we thought that the standard Omm Rooms and slightly larger Superior Rooms were big enough, so you don't have to splash out. All rooms have the usual array of hi-tech gadgetry: air conditioning, CD players, phones with voicemail, WiFi. Some rooms are non-smoking, others are fully equipped for wheelchair access. Rooms on the upper floors get more light and some have views of Gaudí’s La Pedrera.
- Air conditioning
- Cd player
- Central heating
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Internet access
- Safe box
- Satellite tv
- Turndown service
First breakfast. Expect warm croissants and good coffee, home-baked pastries fresh from the kitchen, carrot juice or carrot cake, freshly-squeezed OJ, home-baked scones and bowls of fruit. Scrambled eggs are also available. In short, a feast (though as with many hotels in Barcelona, it's not included in the room price).
As for dinner in the Michelin-starred restaurant, Moo… well, prepare for a few superlatives. In charge are the Roca brothers, whose Girona restaurant, Cellar de Can Roca, is something of a culinary institution. Here, half-portions are served so you can sample more than one, and each dish comes with a carefully selected wine. A variety of tasting menus (including a vegetarian version) are also available. It's perfect food - the very best. A first-course of melt-in-your-mouth apple and fois gras with vanilla oil accompanied by a glass of Sauternes was utterly stunning. Other highlights included veal entrecôte with a green pepper infusion, and duck breast with strawberries and roses. Puddings are equally sinful. One offered a spectacular cigar-flavoured ice-cream, another was inspired by Thierry Mugler's 'Angel' perfume.
Omm is the first hotel from the famed restaurateurs Grupo Tragaluz, and they've brought with them all their knowledge of what makes a good restaurant buzz. The room is open-plan, with lots of space between each table. There are cool swivel chairs, neutral creams and browns, and a slightly retro 70s feel made chic for the 21st century. Service is attentive, informative and unobtrusive.
If your wallet (or stomach) won't stretch to a full slap-up meal, you can sample tapas or tuck into salads and sandwiches in the lobby-bar, Moovida. Drinks and snacks are also available on the roof terrace, or you can venture out to good restaurants on your doorstep - see our destination guide for suggestions. Note that Moo is closed on Sundays.
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- Passeig de Gràcia - Barcelona’s premier shopping street - is just outside the front door. You’ll find designer labels coming out of your ears. For smaller boho boutiques, head for the narrow streets of the trendy El Born district
- Explore the otherworldly Gaudí buildings which dot the city. The nearest is La Pedrera, just a block from the hotel, with its undulating roof terrace, tangled wrought-iron balconies and recreated turn-of-the-century apartment. Further down Passeig de Gràcia is the shimmering blue-tiled Casa Batlló, while the soaring Sagrada Familia is a short walk west
- Stroll down the city’s most famous avenue, the lively tree-lined boulevard of La Rambla, thronged with tourists, artists, musicians and stalls selling everything from flowers to caged birds. Then head into the surrounding Bari Gòtic to see the magnificent cathedral with its stone-laced façade, gothic gargoyles and gaggle of geese guarding the leafy cloister
- Browse Barcelona’s many museums and galleries - the Picasso Museum, the Joan Miró Foundation and the sleek MACBA (contemporary art museum) are among the best
- Head to the beach - about 20 minutes by metro (10 by cab)
- The football-obsessed can head to Nou Camp for a tour of FC Barcelona’s stadium. A cab will get you there in 10 minutes, but you can take the metro, too
- After a hard day's sightseeing, chill out at the hotel. The decked roof terrace has a bar, loungers and a small pool, while the fabulous spa, Spaciomm, has a steam room, sauna, ice fountain and a heated indoor pool with a Jacuzzi - ideal for when shopper’s shoulder strikes (note there’s a charge for entry as well as for treatments)
- Or head to OmmSession, the hotel's basement nightclub. It’s open from Wednesday to Saturday, with regular live music and visiting DJs
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
- Traditional cultures
- Well being
Children are welcome, although there are no special facilities for them. Cots are available at no extra charge and babysitting can be arranged on request. Extra beds are possible in the Junior Suites and Suites (not in the Omm or Superior Rooms), but children aged 2+ are charged a hefty rate for them, so it gets a bit pricey. The restaurant isn't geared up for young children; the bar menu is better suited.
We'd say it's best for babies overall.
Babies (0-1 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Cots Available, Extra Beds Available
Babysitting is available by arrangement.
Baby cots are available on request.
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Join for free and get...
Exclusive deals at our favourite boutique hotels, B&Bs and rentals
- Award-winning booking service, with helpful consultants on hand
- Price-match at all 1,500 properties in our portfolio
- Plus, in most cases, a little extra gift when you arrive...