“Quietly refined small hotel near the River Torme, minutes from the glorious World Heritage sites of Salamanca”
Staff are professional and attentive – pouring coffee at the excellent breakfast and G&Ts in the tranquil bar. For other food and drink desires, they give personal suggestions. On the edge of the old wall, the hotel is a short walk from the city’s must-sees, like the 2 cathedrals, the Old University and the exquisite Plaza Mayor. Indeed, for lovers of culture and architecture, Salamanca and this sublime hotel are a perfect pairing.
- Salamanca itself: a Unesco site, with intricate gold sandstone palaces and plazas to explore, all magically floodlit at night
- Excellent restaurants nearby, everything from tapas to fine dining
- Just 13 peaceful rooms, with bathrobes and Nespressos
- A superb collection of art and history books in the lobby
- From birthday cakes to car washes, staff's sweet surprise gestures delight their guests
- No restaurant for lunch/dinner, and the minibars are snack-free
- Although families are welcome, it's not ideal for kids
- No pool or gym
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Breakfast included, restaurants nearby
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
It's hard to pick a favourite room at Hotel Rector – they all possess an air of understated elegance. Perhaps the dramatic Suite Deluxe has the edge, as it’s the most spacious, with an adjoining sofa lounge. Romantic couples will love the sumptuous bed, its velvet Chesterfield headboard set in fabulous wood panelling. Indeed, the beds are a big draw here – guests consistently rave about their superior comfort.
Classic and Deluxe rooms have small sitting areas within the bedroom – stuffed armchairs and mahogany desks. Classic rooms face the hotel's interior courtyard and may not be as bright as more expensive rooms but they are very quiet; Deluxe rooms have views of the old town. Throughout, windows are double-glazed with floor-length curtains so a peaceful night’s sleep is guaranteed.
Bathrooms are splendidly marbled affairs, with proper deep tubs and (aah!) underfloor heating. Bvlgari toiletries and fresh-cut flowers add a classy touch.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
Breakfast is a treat: tables are laid with white linen and silver; coffee, tea and fresh-pressed juice are brought to you by friendly servers. The buffet table is laden with cereal, yogurt, fruit and Spanish specialties like Iberico ham and custard tarts. Eggs can be cooked to order.
Like most Spanish cities now, Salamanca is a mix of old-school tapas joints and nueva cocina upstarts. Hotel staff are a mine of great restaurant recommendations, including lunch with the locals at Vinodiario tapas bar and the family-run Valencia near the Plaza Mayor. Be sure to dine at La Hoja21 one evening – it’s modern, minimalist and made for foodies.
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Stroll around the expansive 18th-Century Plaza Mayor. Shops and cafes line its beautiful sandstone Baroque buildings and it’s magically lit at night, with buskers creating a lively ambiance
- Search for the Frog in the Skull, one of the arcane carvings of ‘plateresque’ that adorn the impressive 12th-Century Old University – it’s the third oldest in the world
- Wander through the stellar collection of painting, sculpture and ceramics at Casa Lis, a palace transformed into the Museo Art Nouveau y Deco – the aquamarine glass facada is dazzling
- Climb the stone towers of the Vejer y Nueva Cathedrals, a side-by-side blend of Gothic and Renaissance architecture – the battlements have panoramic views over the city
- Count the 300 stone shells that decorate the charming Casa de las Conchas, symbolising the years since the 1st-Century Roman Bridge was built to span the Tormes River
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets